Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tomorrow night i will be at the A&W Cruise night at the Glendeer Circle if anyone wants to join me. i created a post on the facebook EV Alberta group as well. already have some non-owners interested to attend. i will be there from 5-7.

and its a good excuse to drive out for a burger.

My wife's car was parked outside on the street instead of in the garage where she normally parks, however it appears unscathed. I'm not sure if the softer aluminium of the Model S would have done as well (I'm also quite sure I didn't want to test it!)
Last year I had a new driveway poured and both of my vehicles were parked outside for a period. One day before I was allowed to use the driveway we got hit with a massive hailstorm. I decide "to hell" with the driveway and I tried to rescue the vehicles. My back was covered in welts by the time I got the cars in the garage.
Both cars were damaged and believe it or not, the Infiniti QX60 cost more in repairs than the model S. There are probably multiple factors involved in this so I can't necessarily say that aluminum is better, but I think if the hail is big enough and hard enough to dent aluminum it will probably damage any car. It also appears that dent pulling is just as easy if not easier with aluminum; however I opted to have the hood replaced as it was pretty peppered.

Thank you! I did do the conversion myself. I had a blast doing it. The motor is a twin 3 Phase AC motor from HPEVS. Here is a link:
Electric AC Motor Oil Cooled Dual Motor
It was not exactly a drop-in. Not really too bad. I had to have two adapters made, a coupler and a change to the front mount. If your interested in more details, here is a link to a walk-a-round that describes much of the components involved.
If you need any help making your own, let me know. I would be happy to help.
Love this. I have committed to myself that if I ever buy another boat, it will be electric. I currently have a jet boat which might be easier to convert; however, I don't think I have the patience, knowledge or skill to even begin to try a conversion like that.

Tomorrow night i will be at the A&W Cruise night at the Glendeer Circle if anyone wants to join me. i created a post on the facebook EV Alberta group as well. already have some non-owners interested to attend. i will be there from 5-7.

and its a good excuse to drive out for a burger.
That's tempting, I'll see if I can fit it in.

I've never done one of these, anything I need to know? or just drive up around 5pm and find a place to park?

Last edited:

That's tempting, I'll see if I can fit it in.

I've never done one of these, anything I need to know? or just drive up around 5pm and find a place to park?
There's a similar event at an A&W in Edmonton Friday nights. We've had number of Model S owners park beside each other which makes the attending car enthusiasts response quite good and a fun time. Seems to be better when there are more TESLA owners together to respond to questions, show the different car colors, options etc..

Last edited:
Just show up. i just moved offices into the same parking lot as the event so i will park and go early and see if i can save a few spots if any of you want to give me a heads up that you are comming.
You have an office in a parking lot? :)
I typically don't know until the last minute if I can make this type of thing but I'm leaning towards not being able right now.

Wow I haven't been active on these forums for awhile now. Glad to see such additions to the Tesla ownership numbers in Alberta! Anyhow, I am wondering if anyone here has tried this (see link) and if it is any good? I've always felt a little water-guilty taking my Model S to the car washes due to the water usage. Sort of juxtaposed against the "green-ness" of having a Tesla+solar panels. Apparently Tesla is doing a trial with this company for potential washes while you supercharge in California. Cleans with less than 1 cup of water.

I wonder if it would perform the same on full wraps of Xpel or 3M.

I haven't tried that particular product, however I do use Optimum No-Rinse and it seems to work well. I like that I can wash in my garage at home without getting water everywhere and without Calgary Bylaw getting all upset. The way I do it I use about 4-6L of water per wash, but that's still much less than anything you use at a normal car wash. "less than 1 cup" I'd be a bit worried about, I feel you'd have to start with an awful clean car (of course, that's California for you, no rain, so no mud, no snow, so no salt, etc) and an extremely high quality cloth for that to actually work without scratching your paint too much.

If you read a little bit on their website they say that really muddy areas have to be rinsed off first before using their cleaner and cloth. This sounds like it's more for a light dusting of dirt accumulated since yesterday evening's wash, not so much for Edmonton winters, I think. I wash my family's car using a sump pump in a rain barrel during the summer ... it uses 1/3 to 1/2 the water in the barrel, but it's just rainwater. (We avoid washing when it hasn't rained for a long time and the garden needs water more than the car!) The water looks clean when it comes out of the nozzle, and the car seems clean enough afterwards. I wouldn't drink it though! :D

Last edited:
Even the optimum no-rinse won't work for large accumulations of dirt, but in those cases I'll do a $1 spray down at the local coin-op wand wash, and then come home and do the rest with optimum no-rinse.

I really believe that the product listed above though isn't really a "wash" at all, it's more what's referred to as a "quick detail" which is really about the same category as one of those "california dusters" which don't use any water at all. Great for taking off a layer of dust from sitting over night, not so useful for washing actual dirt off the car.

Reactions: int32_t
Thank you, skrenes. 32kWh capacity. The conversion cost around $20,000. It took 3 months. Thanks again.
Thank YOU for sharing. So at 32 kWh, that's looks to be about 1/7 the running cost, never-mind additional savings in maintenance. So EV boats look to be even better suited than EV cars.

At 5 batteries * 57V * 57 Ah, I get 16,245 Wh. Good enough for about 54Km if driven on the highway. Sounds reasonable, not sure what the charging situation is though.
Hmm, if that's the case, then the advantages are even greater.

Even the optimum no-rinse won't work for large accumulations of dirt, but in those cases I'll do a $1 spray down at the local coin-op wand wash, and then come home and do the rest with optimum no-rinse.
Nice tip. Where do purchase Optimum No-Rinse?