Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
An owner from Southern Ontario is on a long drive that took him to the giga factory and is now headed back to Ontario. He will be driving through Saskatchewan and Manitoba and would love to meet anyone who is able to meet-up with him. For any owners who might be able to meet him somewhere along the route, please let me know via a private message (conversation) and I'll pass on his details. He is probably leaving Calgary this afternoon.

Wow I haven't been active on these forums for awhile now. Glad to see such additions to the Tesla ownership numbers in Alberta! Anyhow, I am wondering if anyone here has tried this (see link) and if it is any good? I've always felt a little water-guilty taking my Model S to the car washes due to the water usage. Sort of juxtaposed against the "green-ness" of having a Tesla+solar panels. Apparently Tesla is doing a trial with this company for potential washes while you supercharge in California. Cleans with less than 1 cup of water.

I wonder if it would perform the same on full wraps of Xpel or 3M.
There is a thread here already on "waterless car washes" that has a lot of opinions ranging from "I'd never use that on my baby" to "Love it, use it all the time". I use it all the time and love it. Still rinse at the car wash first if it's got heavy dirt but after driving in the rain it's a great way to "touch up" a slightly dirty car.

It's a bit early but I'd like to be ready...
For those with a Model X what is the recommendation / preferred tire for Alberta winters

Searching through some threads I see these:
1) Nokian WR G3 Nokian WRG3 tires
2) Nokia Hakkapeliitta R2 Winter tires for Model X
3) Pirelli Scorpion Winter ( have a high rating on Tire Rack )

I'd like to go with the 20 " wheels which means 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear.

Last edited:
Reactions: gpetti
For those with a Model X what is the recommendation / preferred tire for Alberta winters

I'd like to go with the 20 " wheels which means 265/45R20 front and 275/45R20 rear.

Depends how aggressive of a winter tire you want. R2 would be best for more extreme winter days, and the other two would probably drive better on the average cool but not slippery day. I got the R2's because I wanted maximum traction when it's bad out, but with the last winter being mild it had me wishing I had something less aggressive.

My experience buying tires has gone something like this:

1. Research best/recommended tires
2. Make informed decision
3. Seek out tires in my size
4. My choice in Tesla sizes are only available in {insert foreign country here} and will cost $1B to get them here with 3-4 month shipping time
5. Start asking tire shops what they have available and costs
6. Panic that I may not be able to find ANY tires by winter
7. Get what I can and live with it

That said... I've had the Scorpions - good for Calgary with the Chinooks as the dry traction/handling is amazing but the snow/ice handling isn't stellar. I've had the Nokian WR-G3 and they are great with snow/ice. The Hekaplapandas (or whatever they are called) are amazing in both snow/ice and dry roads so I've heard from a few people. IF I had a choice :) I would get these.

The only info I was able to get from the staff was that it will be close to the store. So let's start an expanding radius search pattern. :)
If the Service Centre includes a supercharger, then you'd think they would be smart to get a location as close to the 16th Ave/Deerfoot intersection (Highway 1 and Highway 2) as possible. But I think that's a bit too far away from the store for their liking so I would guess more around the Glenmore/Deerfoot intersection. That would work great for people for North/South through Calgary and people going East/West only have to detour 5-10 mins more down Deerfoot (or use Stoney or Sarcee to avoid Deerfoot traffic).

Haka R2's. They seem to be promoted as lower rolling resistance, aimed at EV's (check Nokian's site). I've driven various Haka's for years and have never been disappointed. I now have the R2's for my Tesla. I had a hard time detecting any confirmable range loss over the stock 19" all-season tires last winter. The WRG3 are supposed to be decent, but designed to be used in all seasons. I have to believe there is a compromise hidden in there somewhere...! Pirelli's wouldn't be on the list, but that's just my opinion... I have no direct experience with that particular tire, but haven't heard much to recommend it either.

If you're looking for wheels for the winters, I'd go with the 20's instead of 22's... and without stagger. You won't be looking for ultimate performance with R2's mounted, so my advice would be to avoid complexity and go with the simplest option. You never know when you destroy a tire and need a replacement - oddball sizes won't be easy to come by. Also, tire diameter seems to be a big factor in X range.... with 20" the clear winner.

Reactions: gpetti

From personal experience, I can tell you the Nokian WR G3 tires have fantastic grip. I drove from Calgary to Vancouver in late December last year, with temperatures around -20C. There was around 30-50 vehicles in the ditch, we arrived at a 3 car pile up (people still inside their cars making cell calls) and later a one car+semi crash. Despite the horrible conditions, I felt quite confident and the car was so composed. I have no doubt the Hakkapeliitta R2 are better. I have felt both tire and the R2 are ridiculously soft -- the WR G3 softness sits right between a R2 and a Michelin Primacy MXM4 all season tire. The R2 also has even finer siping.

However, I can tell you, especially with your P90DL, you will barely be able to lay down the full power of a 70D with the R2 on dry warm pavement. Even the WR G3 will barely cut it for a 90D. Of course, this is my experience with a P85+ Model S using 245 wide tires. It's difficult to estimate how your heavier Model X will balance against a wider tire -- assuming you can find the right size.

So where are people buying the Haka R2s?
I might buy the wheels from tire rack (where I got my S winter wheels) so I guess I could try getting both.
Kal tire has Nokian. Tire rack does not.
I decided to go with the WR G3 20" staggered setup same as Tesla's 20" for the MX
From what I could find the R2s only come in 19"
I ordered 20" wheels with TMPS from Tire Rack. Saves about $500 when compared to Tesla's 20" offering

Last edited:
Reactions: Footbag
When I last looked at wheels and tires, I bought tires from tire-rack because the local options sucked, but I bought the tires at Kal-Tire as it was cheaper than doing it all at tire-rack.

That said though, Kal-Tire now has some good Tesla options (at least for MS) and at cheaper prices than Tire-Rack, so to do it again I'd do it all through Kal-Tire.

As for TPMS, Kal might be able to do something there, if not, tire-rack was cheapest last I checked, but it fluctuates. Also note that the stock TPMS sensors DO work in the Rials that Tire-Rack sells, no matter how many times they claim they don't.

• Informative
Reactions: Footbag