Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great meeting everyone today, once I get to my laptop I will post some photos.

Turns out I got lucky, after leaving our lunch I drove around for an hour and as I parked the car got a low power warning. Turned the car off and back on and now had several messages pop up. Long story short, within an hour of calling roadside support I received a call from Mark in Vancouver - the battery failed, car is going to get shipped to vancouver this week for a full on replacement. Worst thing is there are no tesla loaners available in alberta so im getting ice'd. I will say the turn around to get some answers was quick. Now lets hope they can move the car quickly.

IMG_20151025_113518.jpg

Great meeting everyone today, once I get to my laptop I will post some photos.

Turns out I got lucky, after leaving our lunch I drove around for an hour and as I parked the car got a low power warning. Turned the car off and back on and now had several messages pop up. Long story short, within an hour of calling roadside support I received a call from Mark in Vancouver - the battery failed, car is going to get shipped to vancouver this week for a full on replacement. Worst thing is there are no tesla loaners available in alberta so im getting ice'd. I will say the turn around to get some answers was quick. Now lets hope they can move the car quickly.
What?! Seriously?? That's crazy! Best of luck with your car.

IMG_4512.JPG
IMG_4516.JPG
IMG_4517.JPG
Unfortunatly 3s-a-charm parked elsewhere. Otherwise there were 8 cars present.

- - - Updated - - -

After the meet a few of us were heading back to the Tims, when we ran into a guy driving a Fisker Karma. Turns out he owns a Tesla S85 as well. He's not on this forum, but I got his contact info in case he wants to join us at our next meet.
IMG_4506.JPG

Yeah, a bit of a bummer, but the more new parts up front the better. I may also try to convince them to fly me to vancouver and ill drive back as im keen to try that trip.
That really sucks - but overall will be a better outcome I think.
I believe in2oil had a similar problem with his first car which was also used. When I got my P85D and had only had it a short time, I had a front motor issue and my car had to be shipped to Vancouver. I had to drive a rental ICE too. Be sure to push Enterprise to give you a decent car. I've had to use them (through Tesla) a couple of times and they tend to give you whatever car they have handy. The routine was that they would say they didn't have any premium vehicles available but that they would call me. No call ever comes. When I chased it up, they acknowledged that they don't actually carry premium vehicles, they have to specifically be ordered from a sister company (can't remember which one now). I had a few issues with Enterprise - poorly detailed vehicles and I let Tesla know. They cracked the whip for me and I think they are trying to keep Enterprise more in line now, just thought I'd mention it.

That really sucks - but overall will be a better outcome I think.
I believe in2oil had a similar problem with his first car which was also used. When I got my P85D and had only had it a short time, I had a front motor issue and my car had to be shipped to Vancouver. I had to drive a rental ICE too. Be sure to push Enterprise to give you a decent car. I've had to use them (through Tesla) a couple of times and they tend to give you whatever car they have handy. The routine was that they would say they didn't have any premium vehicles available but that they would call me. No call ever comes. When I chased it up, they acknowledged that they don't actually carry premium vehicles, they have to specifically be ordered from a sister company (can't remember which one now). I had a few issues with Enterprise - poorly detailed vehicles and I let Tesla know. They cracked the whip for me and I think they are trying to keep Enterprise more in line now, just thought I'd mention it.

My experience with Enterprise... Ask for a BMW or Mini. They provide service loaners for them and usually have a few extras. Tell them what you drive now for extra sympathy points. I've always been able to get a nicer car from them (dirty of course but what can you expect these days).

Good luck with the flight option - hopefully the snow holds up so you don't have to drive the highway back in the snow (sand/rocks!).

Sorry I parked elsewhere. I blame it on my cold hands (still bitter about missing the heated steering wheel by a couple of days) and hunger!

Love the Fisker design!!

Have any of you guys used the Pirelli 240 Sottozero winter tires in Calgary? I just ordered them but I'm now reading on this forum that they are terrible. :confused:
I have them on both my vehicles and they aren't great for snow traction as they are biased to performance. Better for Calgary in my opinion as with the chinooks and mostly mild winters we have the roads are clear most of the time so these perform very well. In heavy snow and ice there are better tires out there like the Nokians which we had once and loved but the Pirelli's are pretty good.

There are quite a few winter tire threads on this and every car forum with as many opinions as there are tires. End of the day it's pretty minor differences and a dedicated winter tire will always do better than an all-season so you should be good to go with what you ordered.

One note: I seem to end up with the Pirelli's often because I use larger winter tires on my vehicles (20-21") and Pirelli is one of the few manufacturers that make winter tires in the sizes I need so I often don't have a choice unless I want to put smaller wheels on.

I ran a set of 19" Sottozero II's on our S85 through the 2013-2014 winter. They were absolute rubbish in loose snow. More than once I had to get a push on essentially flat ground to get going. With traction control turned on, the wheels refused to turn as the traction was so poor. On the plus side, their performance on compact snow was fine, and on bare roads they were very good.

Our winter driving is to and from ski areas in the Thompson-Okanagan area of BC (Kelowna, Penticton, Vernon, Kamloops, Revelstoke).

Last winter I ran a ran a set of Michelin x-ice and their loose snow performance was good. Never needed a push. Traction on compact snow, ice, and bare roads was also good. They have softer side walls than the Pirellis so there is some squirm under hard acceleration or braking on bare pavement. That is the only performance characteristic where the Pirellis were better.

The Pirellis are stacked in the garage.

Have any of you guys used the Pirelli 240 Sottozero winter tires in Calgary? I just ordered them but I'm now reading on this forum that they are terrible. :confused:

I was definitely influenced by the forum on this so I got 19" wheels from tire rack (Rial Lugano) and Blizzak tires (was all I could get as the car arrived in February). I have no complaints about these and they work great; however, I never actually tried the Sottozeros. I think a lot of the Canadian feedback I got was from down East so might not necessarily apply to all our conditions.

I just had the winter tires installed at Kal Tire. Mine are the Pirelli's that I ordered at the same time I ordered the car, it was the only option Tesla had. I'm thinking they will be fine as I've never driven winter tires here in Calgary, so it certainly won't be any worse than what I've been used to (all season tires).

A nice surprise was that the TPMS sensors were programmed for our car by Tesla. They car simply mentioned that it noticed I had new tires on, and asked me to confirm size (19" or 21"), and then it said it was talking to all the sensors. Well done Tesla.

Our first service is scheduled for next week. Anything I should ask about? The car is running very well, no issues so far at 29800KM.

I just had the winter tires installed at Kal Tire. Mine are the Pirelli's that I ordered at the same time I ordered the car, it was the only option Tesla had. I'm thinking they will be fine as I've never driven winter tires here in Calgary, so it certainly won't be any worse than what I've been used to (all season tires).

A nice surprise was that the TPMS sensors were programmed for our car by Tesla. They car simply mentioned that it noticed I had new tires on, and asked me to confirm size (19" or 21"), and then it said it was talking to all the sensors. Well done Tesla.

Our first service is scheduled for next week. Anything I should ask about? The car is running very well, no issues so far at 29800KM.
Wow, 30,000km on an 85D! You must either have a long commute or you've done some road trips!

Well I flew to Toronto to have a look at the car I ordered before they ship it to Calgary. It's over a year old and only has 12,000 km. Previous owner took really good care of it. Guess they don't use gravel on the winter roads in Toronto. No 3m on it and no rock chips at all.

It's an 85, no P, no D. :)
21" Turbines are in the back.
Had a chance to see the new software artwork. I kind of liked to old 3D look.

85YYZ.jpg