Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well 3s-a-Charm says he will be there. We were talking about it on the Owners Club thread. The one thing I've learned is that you have to have a great deal of patiences being a Tesla owner. The thought of having to possibly wait an additional year for a 3 because I didn't line up makes me want to be there. Does anyone know how they are going to handle the different world time zones?

I did already.. And I'm going today Sunday. But you know, have a drive/ride with a owner, without time limit and also without worrying that he wants to increase his sells, is different right?
The best will be is someone goes somewhere like Banff, Canmore etc so at least I can have much time to talk, see and "judge" the car.
But obviously even just around the city will be perfect.. Anyway, if anyone in the next days is planning something, let me know and I will be more than happy to keep company :love:

I did already.. And I'm going today Sunday. But you know, have a drive/ride with a owner, without time limit and also without worrying that he wants to increase his sells, is different right?
The best will be is someone goes somewhere like Banff, Canmore etc so at least I can have much time to talk, see and "judge" the car.
But obviously even just around the city will be perfect.. Anyway, if anyone in the next days is planning something, let me know and I will be more than happy to keep company :love:
I'll definitely keep you in mind, always happy to help, but with the way the week is shaping up i can't guarantee much.

Thought I would throw this out here... any local forum members looking to show up on March 31st at the Tesla store to reserve a Model 3?

I will be there. Has anyone contacted the Calgary store to confirm that reservations are going to be open right at store opening? Reserving early in Canada is not too bad of a gig. The first few thousand off the line will be semi-handbuilt and destined for California buyers most likely, so the first batch kinks should be sorted out by others.

My 2008 just has to hold out a few more years!!

So when will we see something from our new government for home solar?

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/15/alberta-boosts-solar-incentives-new-programs/
I was quite disappointed to see that their solar rebates aren't for home users. They claim they can't afford to shower us with money right now, and that's fair enough, but honestly, if they want to encourage solar, they don't even need to give out money, just bring back net-metering which vanished a while back so that we can get a fair price for exported power. That should encourage some people, and not cost the government a penny!

So when will we see something from our new government for home solar?

https://cleantechnica.com/2016/02/15/alberta-boosts-solar-incentives-new-programs/

im not going to bother waiting on this government, i just ordered a 5.8kW array from Skyfire, its possible to have up to 10kW on my roof so maybe later when i get a job again ill get more panels.

enmax will install a bi-meter for free, any power you export they will credit you at the same rate you pay which is fair to me.

I wake up to the sun shining in my face every day and i keep thinking, what a waste of energy, Calgary and area is the sunniest place in Canada (Sunniest City in Canada - Current Results) its kind of dumb NOT to have solar here. My only regret is not doing this earlier.

Don't look at Enmax's plans, they're the worst deal in town for solar, (they quoted me nearly twice as much as the next highest bidder, and they didn't want to do anywhere near as large an array either (wanted to size it to offset only 10% of my use)

Also be careful about the "same amount" you pay for power, you'll find that's nowhere near the actual case. It's the same amount as your "energy charge" but that's only half of the amount you pay per kwh. End result is that, in addition to all the normal fixed fees on your bill, you still pay about twice as much to consume a kwh as they pay you for one you generate. Alberta used to have net metering, at Enmax's request we now have bi-directional metering instead, it's nowhere near as good a deal for us.

im not going to bother waiting on this government, i just ordered a 5.8kW array from Skyfire, its possible to have up to 10kW on my roof so maybe later when i get a job again ill get more panels.

enmax will install a bi-meter for free, any power you export they will credit you at the same rate you pay which is fair to me.

I wake up to the sun shining in my face every day and i keep thinking, what a waste of energy, Calgary and area is the sunniest place in Canada (Sunniest City in Canada - Current Results) its kind of dumb NOT to have solar here. My only regret is not doing this earlier.

yes, I would really like to know the cost! I am told the cost has significantly dropped, yet I have a very poor idea on what the cost is per kW. What is the timeline for your installation , and perhaps we could have demo tour of your installation.

long time no see, I believe the last time we saw each other was at the Canmore meet last year.

Plexiglas Windshield sheet

I just read the "You Bought A Tesla Model S To Rent It?" on CleanTechnica.
He mentions that he put on a plexiglas sheet on his windshield. I can't seem to find any information on that. Has anyone tried it? My new windshield is already getting damaged after only three months of driving. I'd love to have a cover on it.

He mentions that he put on a plexiglas sheet on his windshield. I can't seem to find any information on that. Has anyone tried it? My new windshield is already getting damaged after only three months of driving. I'd love to have a cover on it.
Lon, there are 3M or similar products you can put on windshields - I've seen it before and it is barely noticeable but still can be seen - looks a little like looking through orange peel paint. That's probably what they are referring to.

Yes, I'm planning to be at the store on March 31 to put in my order/deposit for the Model 3 - given the lag between the initial orders and the "next production batch" I'm banking on the fact that in 2 years when the Model 3 is produced I will likely want one earlier than later. Also I'm a classic "early adopter" :)

Please provide more details on your Solar order, return on investment anticipated and the like.

As 3s mentioned, there is films you can put on windshields. I have heard mixed reports however, the con being that as that film gets pelted by sand/rocks/etc, it gets marked up easier than glass, and ends up causing issues with glare. Of course, you can remove it and have a pristine window, but then you need to repeat the process (annually or even more often). This is just 3rd hand info, perhaps the stuff is amazing and/or bad reviews were on older product that didn't stand up as well as current offerings do.

As 3s mentioned, there is films you can put on windshields. I have heard mixed reports however, the con being that as that film gets pelted by sand/rocks/etc, it gets marked up easier than glass, and ends up causing issues with glare. Of course, you can remove it and have a pristine window, but then you need to repeat the process (annually or even more often). This is just 3rd hand info, perhaps the stuff is amazing and/or bad reviews were on older product that didn't stand up as well as current offerings do.
Thanks. I've just never heard of plexiglas sheets before. It would be nice to see one.

It should also be mentioned that a film on the windshield is illegal in pretty much every jurisdiction, and for a pretty good reason, it doesn't take long before these films are scratched and pitted as they are all much softer than glass, once they are pitted and scratched they are harming your vision, especially if driving in to the sun facing headlights at night.

Sweet! That's great. Are you getting microinverters like the Enphase system that lets you track output? Microinverters also make future incremental upgrades simpler, unless you opt for an oversized single inverter.

@AC1K, rough cost on your system? Any storage at all, or is that allowed here? Just curious. Thought about Enmax's lease deal a few years back but the numbers didn't make sense.

I'd expect ~$1 per watt for the PV modules, and then another $2k-$6k for the inverter for a rough ballpark. Solar prices keep coming down; prices are better now than they were even three or four years ago when the City of Edmonton had a rebate for 1/3 the cost of the modules.

I've always wondered about this. I thought it would be better to have a disposable film on the windshield that you then replace once or twice (or maybe three times) a year instead of getting a sandblasted, cracked, and chipped windshield. Probably less expensive than replacing windshields, but the impact on visibility might be an issue. Still, this is the 21st century, and everyone has a screen protector on his phone. We should have good clear plastic films by now!