Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a nice visit at the Chinook Mall store today. They still do not have any information from HQ about the Model 3 reservation plans. We will need to keep in touch to see what plan develops.
Great news that their chargers are almost ready. Possibly by next week. There are six in total. I think they only have two or three demo cars at the moment so that would mean that we might have three reserved spots for a little while anyway.
View attachment 111649
Great find! I, for one, will visit Chinook mall more often if there is Tesla parking available. I know usually the stores don't like Public Tesla owners using their stalls so may need permission first. Heck I don't even care about the charging - just the prime spots!

Glad to hear I'll be seeing some others there to reserve a Model 3!

Solar panels are awesome. We have 5.2kW system from
Skyfire on our south facing roof and they've been great. Zero
maintenance so far for 1.5 years now and produced on average 527kW per month! Yes enmax gives net metering only on the energy portion, but the other weird charges are theirs to shove down our throats with no questions asked. Regardless I have calculated my panels are free. Cost roughly $15,000 all in (JA solar panels, Sunnyboy inverter, install, permits, etc). Per kWh I pay times the number of kW produced makes me a bit more than interest paid on a loan at 3% (HeLoC for example) to buy the panels! Thus, in the end you have an asset and infrastructure installed as part of your home value for free courtesy of Mr. Sun. Feel clean and environmental too.

Hi,
I have a 2.86 kW system from Skyfire. It has 11 Conenergy panels and 11 Enphase microinverters. It cost $13,444 all in, including some extra cost to provide specialized hardware for my clay tiles. My house faces East/West and although originally we were talking about 18-20 panels, they determined that any additional panels would be significantly less efficient (heavily shaded) and not as good an ROI. I guess to put it another way if I doubled my current number of panels, the increase in yearly production would be fairly pitiful comparative to doubling the cost. I still have the option to increase and if I get rid of my chimney I could add a few more. Skyfire did a great job ultimately but it was a very very slow process. Looking back on this, I first asked them about quoting in September 2014. It took more than a month to get a quote and then I immediately put down 50% as requested to get the work done. When the system was finally handed over it was May 1, 2015. In other words, they had my deposit for about 6 months. To be fair, it was winter but nonetheless I had to chase many times looking for updates etc.

Well, Solar panel cost more to the environment that the amount of energy it produces. As well, Solar panels aren't good for the Canadian econony, they are produced outside Canada. so the benefits are quite negligible if any. Green energy .. yeah right for who. the government might be subsidizing product made elsewhere!

Well, Solar panel cost more to the environment that the amount of energy it produces. As well, Solar panels aren't good for the Canadian econony, they are produced outside Canada. so the benefits are quite negligible if any. Green energy .. yeah right for who. the government might be subsidizing product made elsewhere!

Ehhhh ... I've heard that one before. It's simply not true -- solar modules produce far more energy (see chart) during their lifetime than it takes to make them. Remember, these things last decades. 20-year warranties are standard, so that means 99% of modules produced will last longer than that. Modules produce energy 365 days a year for their lifetime. I have some 30+ year old modules in my backyard right now, they still work. And the tech keeps getting better, requiring less highly purified silicon to function.

Yes, as Zapped mentioned, there are PV fabs in Canada. Chinese modules are typically <$1/watt, while Canadian-made ones are typically <$1.30/watt. If you don't see Canadian-made ones, it's because you can get them for less elsewhere -- like anything else.

Am I missing something but Toronto Yorkdale's Mall is a little far. I can't see how this is going to help.

- - - Updated - - -

IF you really want to help the economy, stop buying crap from China. I can't say it loud enough. I will gladly pay more more Canadian made.

Am I missing something but Toronto Yorkdale's Mall is a little far. I can't see how this is going to help.

- - - Updated - - -

IF you really want to help the economy, stop buying crap from China. I can't say it loud enough. I will gladly pay more more Canadian made.

+1. I buy Canadian whenever possible. (Where's the red maple leaf emoji when I need it?) :biggrin:

Hi,
I have a 2.86 kW system from Skyfire. It has 11 Conenergy panels and 11 Enphase microinverters. It cost $13,444 all in, including some extra cost to provide specialized hardware for my clay tiles. My house faces East/West and although originally we were talking about 18-20 panels, they determined that any additional panels would be significantly less efficient (heavily shaded) and not as good an ROI. I guess to put it another way if I doubled my current number of panels, the increase in yearly production would be fairly pitiful comparative to doubling the cost. I still have the option to increase and if I get rid of my chimney I could add a few more. Skyfire did a great job ultimately but it was a very very slow process. Looking back on this, I first asked them about quoting in September 2014. It took more than a month to get a quote and then I immediately put down 50% as requested to get the work done. When the system was finally handed over it was May 1, 2015. In other words, they had my deposit for about 6 months. To be fair, it was winter but nonetheless I had to chase many times looking for updates etc.

I tried to get Skyfire to come out and give me a quote in August 2014. Thank goodness, I gave up on their intermittent communication in October, because it looks like Greenergy, my second choice, is a much better option. We paid our 10% deposit on Nov 1, and they installed on Nov 24, 2014. I have 12 panels for $11,455—although I'm sure had a more straightforward installation. I was always happy with the Greenergy crew, and, armed with these new facts, I'll plug them more heartily in the future.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree. A lot of stuff coming from China are superfluous and useless widgets that we simply do not need. Mind you, China has made it so that it is almost impossible to buy Canadian made for some things, we just can't compete with cheap labour. I too buy Canadian or American whenever I can... the quality is way better anyhow.

As for the solar enviromental impact being a net-negative for the Earth, this myth has been perpetrated long ago. It simply isn't mathematically true vs. current fossil fuel status quo for production of energy. Without going into too much detail, fossil fuel infrastructure (like drilling/digging, shipping, refining, burning, and more + all the labour needed at every stage and all those workers driving to work daily) produces overall far more greenhouse gases than the production of panels and installation into service that is largely maintenance free at the utility scale or even at residential scale. The electrons do all the work once sun-rays are converted into them. Mind you, this is also why fossil fuel industry provides the masses with numerous good jobs! Whether one subscribes to the idea of renewable energy and climate change or not, the actual reality of different competing technologies should be noted objectively.

Tesla Powerwalls Just Got a Gorgeous Competitor

Saw this, may be useful to someone interested in powerwalls.
I don't understand how this can power your home through a standard outlet with "plug and play"? Isn't this just a battery backup like you would use for your computer? The two-way power graphic showing power coming into the battery from a standard outlet then going back INTO the outlet seems wrong to me but I'm no electrician.

I don't understand how this can power your home through a standard outlet with "plug and play"? Isn't this just a battery backup like you would use for your computer? The two-way power graphic showing power coming into the battery from a standard outlet then going back INTO the outlet seems wrong to me but I'm no electrician.

I had a read about this. The article is misleading and click-bait. Just by putting "Tesla" into the headline they will get many more clicks (as we have all clicked it too!) and thus more potential ad revenue. This is as much a "Powerwall killer" as the many other "Tesla killers"... that is to say, it is either so far behind in actual deployment to consumers and/or so far behind in ability to perform at the same level as the current Tesla offering. This being said, the Powerwall isn't some sort of new revolutionary idea, it is just a battery. Albeit, Tesla has packaged it very nicely with proper cooling tech and likely a lot of real-world trial usage data (ie: Tesla cars and Solarcity installations) concerning lifespan and cycling. It is likely the battery usage algorithms that further distinguish the Tesla Powerwall from competitors, especially with the ability to reliably scale up etc. They will also be producing the most batteries from any one building in the world, so presumably they would have economies of scale.

Anyone else find it strange that we haven't received an email from Tesla inviting us to reserve a Model 3 at the store on March 31? You would think that would be a pretty simple thing for them to do... we are all speculating based on a Tweet from Elon that we should line up at the store to reserve. Even the salespeople seem a little unsure. Strange.

Anyone else find it strange that we haven't received an email from Tesla inviting us to reserve a Model 3 at the store on March 31? You would think that would be a pretty simple thing for them to do... we are all speculating based on a Tweet from Elon that we should line up at the store to reserve. Even the salespeople seem a little unsure. Strange.

I agree. I also found it odd that the salespeople at the Tesla store said that the first time they heard of the Model 3 reservations was from Elons tweet. I guess the best way to keep secrets is to not inform any of your employees and then surprise them just as quickly as you surprised the customers?! I suppose they do not even have everything ironed out yet, and it'll be the 11th hour that final details will be given. But aren't we used to that by now with Tesla? Heh.

On another note, the 10K filing is posted and there is an interesting tidbit in there:

As of December 31, 2015 the following two performance milestones were considered probable of achievement:

·
Successful completion of the Model 3 Alpha Prototype; and

·
Successful completion of the Model 3 Beta Prototype

So it seems the rumors of "just pictures of model 3" are unlikely to be true. Very high chance they'll drive a beta model 3 up on stage!