Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its about time... should of had this done last year.

Oh well better late than never.

23 panels, 5.87 kW total, in the 5 minutes it was running for testing i made 289 Wh (enough to drive 2km), only 1/4 of the DC optimizers checked it so it wasnt fully booted up yet. I cant "turn it on" until the after the inspection tomorrow.

dOE1Fg5.jpg

OR8HIFv.jpg

So happy to see some more solar installations going in Calgary! Congrats AC1K on your new system. It definitely feels good to be driving on sunshine. I was looking for pictures of my own rooftop on my computer, but I found out they are on Skyfire Energy's website here:

5.2kW Grid Tied Solar Power System; Calgary, Alberta SkyFire Energy - Calgary, Edmonton & Western Canada Solar Power Systems and Solar Panels

As you can see I went with panels that had black frames for "the look". Completely superfluous but I figure the neighbours would be appreciative :). Wish I had the Solaredge inverter though. Mine is an older model Sunnyboy. Works fine and has an "emergency power outage" outlet at least.

So happy to see some more solar installations going in Calgary! Congrats AC1K on your new system. It definitely feels good to be driving on sunshine. I was looking for pictures of my own rooftop on my computer, but I found out they are on Skyfire Energy's website here:

5.2kW Grid Tied Solar Power System; Calgary, Alberta SkyFire Energy - Calgary, Edmonton & Western Canada Solar Power Systems and Solar Panels

As you can see I went with panels that had black frames for "the look". Completely superfluous but I figure the neighbours would be appreciative :). Wish I had the Solaredge inverter though. Mine is an older model Sunnyboy. Works fine and has an "emergency power outage" outlet at least.
Your system is the same size as mine. It would be interesting to compare year-over-year numbers too see how much difference there is between us. I suspect you get more sun annually and I have a few minor shading problems, but would be interesting all the same. Have you connected yourself to pvoutput.org? (I think maybe you mentioned it before but I can't recall!)

Lon12 - King of road trips!!
I'm in EV heaven in the San Francisco area. All the models I've only read about and never seen before:
Model X, Fiat, VW, i3, Spark... The Target parking lot in Fremont had about 12 chargers scattered all over it.
On the drive back to San Francisco from the Factory I think I counted around 40 Leafs coming the other way. Mind you that was rush hour and we were going pretty slow for about an hour and a half.
leaf.png

Well that's cool! I hope all 12 chargers in the parking lot weren't on 12 different charging networks ... :p

I convinced my family to test drive a Leaf. (As long as you don't go expecting a Tesla it's great! ;)) Some Nissan dealerships in Edmonton don't have them available, so if you ever want to drive one call first to make sure. The sales rep guy wanted to sell us a Versa Note since they didn't have Leafs at the first place we went to, but I said it's not the same ... not electric.

(In the above photo the Leafs look vaguely like giant insects feeding with long tongues.)

Your system is the same size as mine. It would be interesting to compare year-over-year numbers too see how much difference there is between us. I suspect you get more sun annually and I have a few minor shading problems, but would be interesting all the same. Have you connected yourself to pvoutput.org? (I think maybe you mentioned it before but I can't recall!)

Yes sure! I have numbers. Ever since I started my system back in July 3, 2015 until now we have produced a total of 10.130 MWh. That's an average of 506KWh per month (20 months switched on). We have a sound facing roof sloped at about 36 degrees.

Looking forward to your numbers!

I spoke to the fellow at the Calgary Tesla store just yesterday. I said the same thing. "Oh, I'll just stay home instead of lining up". He still said I get an advantage over the non-Tesla owners... but that I would still be lining up in the owners-line. Coming from Edmonton, I understand your reason for staying home. But, the wife wants this Model 3 like yesterday, so I'm going to try and get in the front of the "owners line". :)

I'm hoping to line up at the store in the "owners line" with you. Do you know what Tesla means by "Region"? Is it Alberta or the whole time zone?

I'm hoping to line up at the store in the "owners line" with you. Do you know what Tesla means by "Region"? Is it Alberta or the whole time zone?

I am really unsure of how things are going to work... and thinking maybe only a small lineup of 20 or so people will be in Calgary. I mean really, this is Oilberta and hardly anyone I talk to outside of these forums even knew about Tesla. I am hoping that magically we will just get to place our orders within 30 mins of arriving on iPads provided to us, with attached credit card swipe things.... likely not but one can dream.

As far as "region", I am assuming they divide Canada up as Western, Middle, and Eastern. Because we are so close to Vancouver, we should be higher priority at least. I mean, superchargers are here and a Service centre is planned in Calgary too. One thing is for sure... California employees of Tesla, SpaceX and Solarcity will get their Model 3's first. Then the owners. Then the rest of the bunch.... starting on the west-coast.

I am really unsure of how things are going to work... and thinking maybe only a small lineup of 20 or so people will be in Calgary...
Agree..If you look at the spread sheet only five are going to line up..even if you expect 10 times that it's only 50/
It will be interesting to see if the media notices it. Australia gets the credit of First person in the line up.
Model3-CampOut-LineUp-OnLine

I convinced my family to test drive a Leaf. (As long as you don't go expecting a Tesla it's great! ;)) Some Nissan dealerships in Edmonton don't have them available, so if you ever want to drive one call first to make sure. The sales rep guy wanted to sell us a Versa Note since they didn't have Leafs at the first place we went to, but I said it's not the same ... not electric.
Two of my coworkers own Leafs, one bought new in Edmonton, the other bought a used one in BC. If you're seriously considering a Leaf let me know and I can put you in touch with them.