Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you like, I can check on Monday if it's okay to bring a bunch of Tesla owners/enthusiasts through the office (in Cochrane). As a plus, we have a giant 4K display in one of the meeting rooms. ;)
Looks like a no, for the 4K display at least -- which was the whole point (it's in a sensitive area). There are a thousand other places we could have the event that have the usual projector or whatnot so at this point there's nothing to make Cochrane unique, unfortunately.

Sorry. :( On the bright side, the live stream probably won't be 4K anyways, so you haven't really lost anything.

Does anyone know where to rental the Model S here in Calgary? Saw this car in the downtown this morning.

uLCBJjG.jpg

I wonder what silly name Tesla will assign to this location? (Track record based on Rocky View Supercharger in Calgary).

The one at CrossIron is technically in RockyView County, and not in any municipality, so that makes sense, especially considering Calgary will be getting an urban SuperCharger in the future anyway. At least this way it won't be ambiguous. I'm guessing it will just be Edmonton as it's in Edmonton proper. Calgary is at a crossroads so needs a SuperCharger for both travellers and locals, whereas Edmonton doesn't have population centers in multiple directions so it would be a while until they get another. My bets would be WEM in 5 years :)

The one at CrossIron is technically in RockyView County, and not in any municipality, so that makes sense, especially considering Calgary will be getting an urban SuperCharger in the future anyway. At least this way it won't be ambiguous. I'm guessing it will just be Edmonton as it's in Edmonton proper. Calgary is at a crossroads so needs a SuperCharger for both travellers and locals, whereas Edmonton doesn't have population centers in multiple directions so it would be a while until they get another. My bets would be WEM in 5 years :)
I should have clarified... it's strange that it's called the Rocky View Supercharger because the Municipal District of Rocky View is so large and this is just inside the boundary of the MD. It could have been better named Balzac Supercharger or Crossiron Supercharger in my opinion.

Attachments

• 2017-08-06_21-09-56.jpg
    2017-08-06_21-09-56.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 31
So we just finished up an epic 6,500 km road trip that took us from Calgary to Vancouver, Seattle, down the 101 to San Francisco, Fremont (factory tour), Los Angeles, Las Vegas and back up to Calgary! We had a blast - the Model X is by far the best road trip vehicle I've ever used - the pano windshield and super comfortable seats (did 16 hours driving one day!) were great. I absolutely love road trips in a Tesla.

On the way back we were doing our last charge at Fort MacLeod, AB. and ran into two separate Teslas both on similar road trips but originating in California and going up the 101, through Vancouver and Whistler, then to Banff/Lake Louise, and down via Calgary.

The only missing link in the Supercharger network is currently between Fort MacLeod and Butte, MT. I know Tesla is working on this but in the meantime, I recommend the Red Lion Hotel in Kalispell, MT to fill the gap for an overnight stay. They have an HPWC to get you 100% overnight although there isn't any signage so they are likely ICE'd. Luckily the 24' cable reaches 3 stalls over so I was okay. On the way there (or back) you can drive the gorgeous Glacier National Park road... stunning!

Autopilot worked like a champ 98% of the time. Still uneasy on the 101 for the twisties but the interstate 15 (straight) was perfect for AP2.

Over 6,532 km driving on average 10-15% over the speed limit on interstates, we consumed a total of 1,494.6 kWh of free electrons and averaged 229 Wh/km. We have a Model X 90D with stock 20" wheels/tires. Zero maintenance issues... saw lots of ICE cars pulled over with miscellaneous maintenance issues, though. Will do it again someday.

I've been looking at that kind of road trip but was thinking it would have to wait until the Montana superchargers get built. Did you record your battery % at the top of the Logan Pass Visitor Centre? Nice to hear that the X is better than the S for road trips. I'll have to try one someday.

3s! How cool didn't know or recall you were road tripping. We too did the 101 to San Fran and back via I5 the past couple weeks.

We saw a white Model X with AB plates at the Ukiah charger and I spoke to the driver briefly as they were leaving. Was that you?

We also did the factory tour on Jul 27, amazing how close to the actual work stations we were able to get.

@int32_t we may or may not have seen Model 3's. We aren't allowed to discuss. o_O

I can tell you though that the factory had wide open doors in several spots, there was a pleasant breeze blowing through most of the factory.

Reactions: int32_t and doubeld
I've been looking at that kind of road trip but was thinking it would have to wait until the Montana superchargers get built. Did you record your battery % at the top of the Logan Pass Visitor Centre? Nice to hear that the X is better than the S for road trips. I'll have to try one someday.
No but I recall gaining about 10 miles on the road down due to regen!

I'm going to ask, even if you can't tell me or don't know -- what's the factory like these days? Do they air-condition "production hell?" Did you see ... any Model 3s coming off the line? :rolleyes:

229 wh/km sounds good considering the high speed limits they have down south, plus your ~10%. :)
The Factory looks good. They aren't taking away from the Model S/X production at all - they are increasing on all fronts. The Model 3 line looked to be (from what little I could see) in final programming mode so nearly complete. No I didn't see any Model 3s in the Factory but did see some outside and they are beautiful in person!

Reactions: int32_t and doubeld
3s! How cool didn't know or recall you were road tripping. We too did the 101 to San Fran and back via I5 the past couple weeks.

We saw a white Model X with AB plates at the Ukiah charger and I spoke to the driver briefly as they were leaving. Was that you?

We also did the factory tour on Jul 27, amazing how close to the actual work stations we were able to get.

@int32_t we may or may not have seen Model 3's. We aren't allowed to discuss. o_O

I can tell you though that the factory had wide open doors in several spots, there was a pleasant breeze blowing through most of the factory.
I charged in Ukiah on July 25 at around 2pm and had a nice lunch at a pub in Downtown. I can't really recall speaking to someone there but the timing sounds right? We were a family of four (with 2 tween girls) if that jogs a memory?

Here is a "Ferrari" I saw in Ukiah LOL (Corvette fans look away!). I called it a Testagrossa.
IMG_0960.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: doubeld