Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners in Alberta

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, never happens. I charge at night, the few times I've needed a top-off during the day (eg go to work, come home, leaving on a road trip where I want to be as close as possible to 100%) I am just there to charge, not cooking, doing laundry, or cooling the house down. Otherwise, why would you charge during the day when it's so easy and convenient to charge at night?

That’s true, just wanted to make sure it doesn’t trip anything just in case, hahaha. Thanks for the info!

When did you set up for “home delivery” or to the shop? They want me to pick up in Calgary.

I was communicating with my DA pretty regularly; let him know early on I was hoping to get it shipped up. I was really impressed with the delivery actually, wasn’t expecting a sealed enclosure. The driver said he’s been delivering a bunch, but that this end of quarter hasn’t been as busy as others he’s seen.

Attachments

• 2FD8FD28-6324-4CE3-A89A-25EC0585EFDC.jpeg
    2FD8FD28-6324-4CE3-A89A-25EC0585EFDC.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 47CE1075-6044-4BE7-A76B-2A95A4DCBB11.jpeg
    47CE1075-6044-4BE7-A76B-2A95A4DCBB11.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 111
I was communicating with my DA pretty regularly; let him know early on I was hoping to get it shipped up. I was really impressed with the delivery actually, wasn’t expecting a sealed enclosure. The driver said he’s been delivering a bunch, but that this end of quarter hasn’t been as busy as others he’s seen.
Wow that’s looks amazing! How does it work in terms of looking over the checklist etc? Did it take longer for them to ship it over?

Wow that’s looks amazing! How does it work in terms of looking over the checklist etc? Did it take longer for them to ship it over?

Delivery was third party. The guy was awesome though, super careful and even took his shoes off to climb in and out/drive it. I used the delivery checklist checklist from r/teslamotors and did it after he left as I wanted to go into detail and I knew he had another delivery to get to (it was already 7:30pm). I had informed me DA I’d be doing this and would email/call if there were any issues which he was good with.

Honestly, I was pretty nervous to take delivery at home after hearing some of the stories of build quality but my model 3 was impeccable. I spent two hours going over the checklist and everything works perfect and looks beautiful.

Delivery was third party. The guy was awesome though, super careful and even took his shoes off to climb in and out/drive it. I used the delivery checklist checklist from r/teslamotors and did it after he left as I wanted to go into detail and I knew he had another delivery to get to (it was already 7:30pm). I had informed me DA I’d be doing this and would email/call if there were any issues which he was good with.

Honestly, I was pretty nervous to take delivery at home after hearing some of the stories of build quality but my model 3 was impeccable. I spent two hours going over the checklist and everything works perfect and looks beautiful.

Congrats! Enjoy the car :)

Reactions: Jffurlan
People from Calgary/Edmonton -- Maybe even in Edmonton where did you go to get PPF? Also, what was the cost and what work did you get done on the Model 3?

I got my Model 3 done at Car Pretty in Edmonton when I got mine in September.
Car Pretty Inc.

Was about $1650 all in for full front (front fascia, full frunk, full front fenders), A-Pillars, mirrors, headlights, and rocker panels.

Thanks for the info! Seems like I got some responses so far (prior to site visit), and they’re saying that 30A May be a safe way to charge but I’d ideally want to be able to charge at maximum speed as shown on the Tesla website for the wall charger.

Is this something I’d have to go to an outside electrician to look at?

Model 3 AWD LR is what I am getting. I mean, I guess that should be fine with 30A usage. Do you ever have any problems charging the vehicle during the day and doing other things in the house that is heavy on the electricity?

I have a 3 AWD LR in Edmonton and I have about a 100 km daily commute (live on south side, work on north side, take Henday to get there). My service is 100A service and I had a pre-existing 40A breaker to a subpanel in the detached garage. I self-installed a 30A breaker in the panel to a wall connector (you could do a 14-30 and use the mobile connector and get the 14-30 adapter instead, but I like the look of the wall connector and ability to change up if I ever wanted to get a new service for more power) The city permit was about $150 plus about another $200 for breaker, wiring, misc. electrical components, and local disconnect switch (which is optional). I later added a voltage/current/power/kWh meter for about $50 of parts.
My house is small but has electric range, electric dryer, gas water heater, and no air conditioning.
There's been no worries about house load, I can run the dryer while charging or the range while charging. I don't remember I've had all 3 on at once though. On the charging side with "only" 30A (24A) charging I havn't had any worries at all, even in winter and arriving home late at night, it's always full in the morning. There's also the Edmonton Supercharger in Southgate if you are really in a pinch.

How did you manage to get the third party delivered in an enclosure? Is this not done by Tesla?

That is amazing delivery and glad it turned out for you. Hope it works out for me!

I have a 3 AWD LR in Edmonton and I have about a 100 km daily commute (live on south side, work on north side, take Henday to get there). My service is 100A service and I had a pre-existing 40A breaker to a subpanel in the detached garage. I self-installed a 30A breaker in the panel to a wall connector (you could do a 14-30 and use the mobile connector and get the 14-30 adapter instead, but I like the look of the wall connector and ability to change up if I ever wanted to get a new service for more power) The city permit was about $150 plus about another $200 for breaker, wiring, misc. electrical components, and local disconnect switch (which is optional). I later added a voltage/current/power/kWh meter for about $50 of parts.
My house is small but has electric range, electric dryer, gas water heater, and no air conditioning.
There's been no worries about house load, I can run the dryer while charging or the range while charging. I don't remember I've had all 3 on at once though. On the charging side with "only" 30A (24A) charging I havn't had any worries at all, even in winter and arriving home late at night, it's always full in the morning. There's also the Edmonton Supercharger in Southgate if you are really in a pinch.
Thanks for this! I’ve heard that for charging at home you now require some electric vehicle regulator module installed in the home... and that doesn’t even include the wall connector and wiring off the service panel.

I’ve come to terms with a 30A service over the last few days, it shouldn’t be a problem at all!

How did you manage to get the third party delivered in an enclosure? Is this not done by Tesla?

That is amazing delivery and glad it turned out for you. Hope it works out for me!

Sorry, I know it’s a little confusing. It was for me to until it arrived. Tesla handles the entire delivery, but hired the company to do the delivery. Honestly, I had no idea what to expect until it drove down my street.

Calgary service center apparently shut down today. Edmonton ranger seems to still be employed though.
This is false. Service Staff were let go and are being replaced - it was never confirmed the actual center is closing, people just assumed. Tesla staff have posted on the same posting on Facebook that the service center is not closing.

This is false. Service Staff were let go and are being replaced - it was never confirmed the actual center is closing, people just assumed. Tesla staff have posted on the same posting on Facebook that the service center is not closing.
Hope you're right. Seems odd to replace all the service staff en masse, must be an interesting story there.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12 and neroden
Thanks for this! I’ve heard that for charging at home you now require some electric vehicle regulator module installed in the home... and that doesn’t even include the wall connector and wiring off the service panel.

I’ve come to terms with a 30A service over the last few days, it shouldn’t be a problem at all!

I charge my MS nightly on a 30 A circuit (24 charging). That’s ~250-300kms overnight, which is plenty. My rule of thumb is to supercharge if I need more, but I really never do.

I’d provide less power to the car rather than installing some complicated and expensive extra device.

Also, for ~300, you can buy another UMC charger on this forum and mount it permanently at work, so you can charge a bit there. You’ll like that in the winter.

Hope you're right. Seems odd to replace all the service staff en masse, must be an interesting story there.

https://electrek.co/2019/04/08/tesla-fired-employees-service-center-inappropriate/

From the article: “Several members of the Calgary service team were terminated following an investigation into an employee complaint which confirmed repeated inappropriate exchanges between colleagues. This is in violation of our workplace policies and behavior we will not tolerate at Tesla.”

Also, the store in Chinook is gone. Boarded up and the sign removed.

Also, the store in Chinook is gone. Boarded up and the sign removed.
The store in Chinook was closed months ago. It made no sense with the Service Center literally 5 minutes away. It’s primary purpose was to set up test drives, which can be easily done at the store on Fairmount Dr.

People don’t buy Tesla’s in stores, even if you tried, they literally just go on the website and order it for you. Hard to justify the rent. I remember the last time I was in there, there was a bunch of teenagers pushing every button on the Model X and trying to block the falcon wing doors. Imagine them doing that to an AMG GT Coupe at a Mercedes dealership - would never happen but almost the same price.