Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners in Huntsville, AL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see some activity in this thread. I'm a TM3 owner since June, and I love it!

Do any of the rest of you frequent South Alabama? I'm really eager for a supercharger in Montgomery, as the Greenville and Auburn ones are out of the way for a family trip there. Tesla map says target 2019 for that location, but that looks impossible at this point.

Howdy folks. I'm not a Huntsville native (Birmingham) but we're coming up in a couple weeks to the Tate Farm pumpkin patch (my family on my mom's side are the Tate's) but I'm wondering if Athens is our best bet for a charge? I really don't know how comfortable I am trying to make a 250 mile trip without a charge in my M3P.

I couldn't find any other charging locations and it seems like just leaving the house a little earlier in the morning to hit an Athens supercharger for about 15 minutes is realistically my best option.

I suggested to my cousins who operate the farm that some EV charging would be a cool touch, even if it's just a couple of 50 amp 14-50 plugs that EV owners could hook up their chargers to. That would give EV owners (not just Teslas) that piece of mind that they can take a road trip to the patch and get some juice before heading home.

I'll be honest, if the supercharger in Athens didn't exist, I probably would just be leaving the Tesla at home :(

I thought for sure the Space and Rocket center would have some fast charging but it looks like it only has a couple slow ones.

Glad to see some activity in this thread. I'm a TM3 owner since June, and I love it!

Do any of the rest of you frequent South Alabama? I'm really eager for a supercharger in Montgomery, as the Greenville and Auburn ones are out of the way for a family trip there. Tesla map says target 2019 for that location, but that looks impossible at this point.

My dad is in Montgomery and I agree we absolutely need a supercharger down there in Eastchase/Chantilly area. I THINK one is planned but no idea when anything is going to happen. I was down there this past weekend and made it down and back with some fun back roads driving with my dad and his wife to show them what the car could do and made it home with about 14% charge. He said he may just end up having an electrician install a 240v outlet for me to use when we come down there. We went to the chargers at Wholefoods across from Eastchase and they were pathetically slow (around 10 mi/hr). There was initially a supercharger area planned to be at the Zetec (I think?) green neon looking gas station right across the entrance to Eastchase on Chantilly but that fell through.

Anyways, we DO have superchargers in Birmingham. It's not right on the interstate and there is a LOT of construction around the area the superchargers but it's not too hard to reach and should take just a few minutes if you come from the right direction (north). I've been to it and that area numerous times and I always go up past I20 and jump off right past the big intersection at the 16th st exit and then come back down into downtown by the hall of fame bldg.

Sometimes you have to pay for parking, sometimes you don't. I haven't seen the parking lot barrier lowered in months. You can either pay a few bucks to leave or go into one of the restaurants or coffee shops and have them validate your parking ticket. It sucks but (when there's not a pandemic) it's a pretty packed out area and parking is hard to come by, even more so if there is an event going on at the BJCC.

The red arrow is the supercharger area and the red lines are closed down streets.

0TuFSF.png

Looking at your route, I agree that the SC in Athens is one of your best options.

However, there are six 16 kW Tesla destination chargers in the Providence Village shopping area, which would get you around 50 mi/hr charging in a Model S and even better in a Model 3. That would be a more enjoyable stop than Athens if you combine it with lunch while you wait. 50 miles of charge is probably really all you will need to play it safe.

It'll be earlier in the morning. Hopefully leaving birmingham around 8 am.

These are the routes I'm seeing. 2 options for supercharging and one if we just take our SUV instead or if it turns out, there is a 240v connection at the destination I can plug into.

The supercharger (if it's as quick as the one in Birmingham) would dish up about 5~8 miles of range per minute if the battery is around 60 or so % when we get there.

Attachments

• Bhm_Huntsville.png
    Bhm_Huntsville.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 82
Hi All,

Had my Model Y since November of last year. Love it. Weather finally get rid of the dirt on the car. Do all of you hand wash your Tesla or is there a touchless car wash that I could go to? I ended up hand washing my car. If there is a automated car wash, I would love to hear your thoughts. This is one of those things I did not consider when buying the car.

Hi All,

Had my Model Y since November of last year. Love it. Weather finally get rid of the dirt on the car. Do all of you hand wash your Tesla or is there a touchless car wash that I could go to? I ended up hand washing my car. If there is a automated car wash, I would love to hear your thoughts. This is one of those things I did not consider when buying the car.
I hand washed mine for about 18 months until I finally broke down and went through the Goo Goo was on South Memorial. I'm not as picky as others, but it was fine. Just make sure you turn off automatic wipers and know how to put the car in neutral before you go.

Well, it happened. A car stopped in front of me and I was paying attention but the person behind me wasn’t and rear-ended me. In the chaos afterwards I forgot to save the dashcam video (honk) until about 30 minutes later. Unfortunately too late.

I have a police report. The closest certified body shop is Caliber in Brentwood TN. Even the appraisal is a few weeks out. I get the feeling this is going to take months but at least it is drivable. Theirs is a cut-rate insurance and it is going to be a battle to get them to cover the full repair costs ( according to Caliber), much less cover the cost of a rental. I did try to use the Service Center but they directed me to Caliber.

Posting here for other owners who wonder where they might have to have body work done someday. (Birmingham and Georgia were two other options but I preferred Brentwood)

Well, it happened. A car stopped in front of me and I was paying attention but the person behind me wasn’t and rear-ended me. In the chaos afterwards I forgot to save the dashcam video (honk) until about 30 minutes later. Unfortunately too late.

I have a police report. The closest certified body shop is Caliber in Brentwood TN. Even the appraisal is a few weeks out. I get the feeling this is going to take months but at least it is drivable. Theirs is a cut-rate insurance and it is going to be a battle to get them to cover the full repair costs ( according to Caliber), much less cover the cost of a rental. I did try to use the Service Center but they directed me to Caliber.

Posting here for other owners who wonder where they might have to have body work done someday. (Birmingham and Georgia were two other options but I preferred Brentwood)
Sorry to hear that. Hope you get it fixed as quickly as possible.

Well? Was it an S, X, 3, or Y?

Am not so sure a “Tesla certified” repair center is essential. Ford dealers are trained in repair of aluminum (F-150 has been aluminum since 2015).

The biggest concern is availability of parts.
Model 3. This was a service center recognized by Tesla. Parts are the main concern. My wife’s CX5 was in the shop for 3 months due to a lack of parts.

Update: The service center said that Tesla prioritizes their service centers first and then the certified service centers. That said, they expect the parts to take about a month after they order them. Once the car is taken apart they may find other things but the initial assessment was for $1,700, which included the rear bumper cover assembly. (With sensors) Estimated repair time was just a couple hours. However they wouldn’t be able to re-assemble it once apart and it would have to stay there until the parts came in.(30 days or until the parts came in) I am still working with the other insurance to get this approved and a rental set up.

I am luckier than they Tesla owner parked next to me at the shop, (M3) - as it looked like they had driven head-first into a pole.

Note: there is another certified shop In Birmingham and this shop said that parts also come out of Atlanta and Birmingham MAY get parts from there.