Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners in Okinawa

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

I moved to Okinawa a few years ago (SOFA status contractor), and it looks like I won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I've been spotting more Teslas lately (Naha, Chatan, even Okinawa City, though none were Y plates) I've always wanted one, but with that comes a few questions:

1. As someone with SOFA status, would there be any issues registering a Tesla in Japan? Anyone living in mainland with SOFA status, please feel free to chime in!

2. I could buy one now in cash. However ideally, I would prefer to leverage a reasonably low interest loan to free my assets for other investments. Am I able to finance a Tesla on the Japanese market using Tesla's in-house financing with my American credit? Probably a no, but figured it was worth asking.

3. Most importantly, how does one maintain a Tesla in Okinawa? Do I have to ship my car to mainland or potentially Taiwan for any issues/necessary service visits? Is there anyone on the island that is certified to work on Teslas? Any and all insight on this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

There is no problem me and 3 others on Yokosuka base have Tesla it’s the same as any other car I have my inspection done by the dealer so I didn’t have to go to the autoport for the car inspection just then to rto for the y plates

If there is a Tesla servicecenter in Okinawa they will know the certified mechanics The finance I don’t know cause I bought my used from a dealer and for the base you out here to register you have to have the title but you may want to check at vro

Hi... I have been in Japan for 37 years and am currently living in Okinawa... Ordered a Model Y in June... I was contacted by Tesla last week telling me my car will be delivered to Okinawa in about 3 weeks. I am a contractor on the bases and am now dealing with the very interesting challenges with getting a 'Y' plate vehicle registration created. Tesla tells me that they have registered many cars on the bases up in mainland Japan, but I'm the 1st for them in Okinawa for Base registration. I have gone this this process before, but with used cars.... dealing with a brand new car from the manufacturer is going to be a bit different.

If there is a Tesla servicecenter in Okinawa they will know the certified mechanics The finance I don’t know cause I bought my used from a dealer and for the base you out here to register you have to have the title but you may want to check at vro
There's no Tesla service/support center in Okinawa, although there is is a body shop in Naha that deals with import vehicles and has done work with multiple Tesla's up to this point. They also tell me they recently installed the islands first Tesla Supercharger unit, so I plan to head down there after receiving my car to check it out... 店舗情報 | ガレージハウス株式会社 - 沖縄の鈑金塗装、ボディーコーティング

The vro told me the only way to register was to have the car title in my name I had a loan but was given the title for the car then had no problem with the registration for the car like you I have had a lot of used car but with Tesla it’s a little different been in Yokosuka for 15 years

I have received my Model Y Delivery in Okinawa without issues. I additionally had a Tesla Power Connector installed at my house the same week so I'm good there.
If anyone under SOFA, is planning to buy a Tesla in Japan, and has questions related to the process and what you need from JVRSO, I can pass that info.

Hi... I have been in Japan for 37 years and am currently living in Okinawa... Ordered a Model Y in June... I was contacted by Tesla last week telling me my car will be delivered to Okinawa in about 3 weeks. I am a contractor on the bases and am now dealing with the very interesting challenges with getting a 'Y' plate vehicle registration created. Tesla tells me that they have registered many cars on the bases up in mainland Japan, but I'm the 1st for them in Okinawa for Base registration. I have gone this this process before, but with used cars.... dealing with a brand new car from the manufacturer is going to be a bit different.
Congrrat on the MY. 1st Y plate on island. We are the MY in red. Nice to meet you at Foster PX lol

Hello all,

I moved to Okinawa a few years ago (SOFA status contractor), and it looks like I won't be going anywhere for the foreseeable future. I've been spotting more Teslas lately (Naha, Chatan, even Okinawa City, though none were Y plates) I've always wanted one, but with that comes a few questions:

1. As someone with SOFA status, would there be any issues registering a Tesla in Japan? Anyone living in mainland with SOFA status, please feel free to chime in!

2. I could buy one now in cash. However ideally, I would prefer to leverage a reasonably low interest loan to free my assets for other investments. Am I able to finance a Tesla on the Japanese market using Tesla's in-house financing with my American credit? Probably a no, but figured it was worth asking.

3. Most importantly, how does one maintain a Tesla in Okinawa? Do I have to ship my car to mainland or potentially Taiwan for any issues/necessary service visits? Is there anyone on the island that is certified to work on Teslas? Any and all insight on this is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Ans 2 - both nacy fed and community bank offer loan. Navyfed is easier if your debt ot income is bot that good. Nnavyfed cut me a check within 48 hours after filling out the application. Too ban interest will be higher now than 6 month ago

There's no Tesla service/support center in Okinawa, although there is is a body shop in Naha that deals with import vehicles and has done work with multiple Tesla's up to this point. They also tell me they recently installed the islands first Tesla Supercharger unit, so I plan to head down there after receiving my car to check it out... 店舗情報 | ガレージハウス株式会社 - 沖縄の鈑金塗装、ボディーコーティング
Really. The charger doesn’t show up on the map. Btw, we have the first destination fharger on the trsla map. Don’t think anyone has tesla on island need destination charging lol.m, 120km long, jist go home and charge :p

Really. The charger doesn’t show up on the map. Btw, we have the first destination fharger on the trsla map. Don’t think anyone has tesla on island need destination charging lol.m, 120km long, jist go home and charge :p
2 months ago when I had looked on the maps on GoGoEV site there was a Tesla Supercharge logo for the GarageHouse body shop in Naha. It is still listed there as available today, although I have not driven there to see it yet... I check GoGoEV for most updated decent location information for chargers.

Attachments

• GogoEv.JPG
    GogoEv.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
I have received my Model Y Delivery in Okinawa without issues. I additionally had a Tesla Power Connector installed at my house the same week so I'm good there.
If anyone under SOFA, is planning to buy a Tesla in Japan, and has questions related to the process and what you need from JVRSO, I can pass that info.
Congrats on getting your delivery. I took my delivery a couple days after you. I'm the blue model Y in Uruma. SOFA status as well but registered it in my wife's name to keep it simple.

Reactions: jack_ying
Congrats on getting your delivery. I took my delivery a couple days after you. I'm the blue model Y in Uruma. SOFA status as well but registered it in my wife's name to keep it simple.
Great to hear! Glad i'm not the only one on island under SOFA... I get a lot of questions driving around Kadena. My Model Y is GunMetal Grey. Hope to see you around sometime... is yours a kanji plate in your wifes name?

Great to hear! Glad i'm not the only one on island under SOFA... I get a lot of questions driving around Kadena. My Model Y is GunMetal Grey. Hope to see you around sometime... is yours a kanji plate in your wifes name?
It is. I'm sure it will cost us more on road tax and JCI but it's worth not having to deal with not changing it when I retire and lose SOFA in a few years.

Reactions: Okivash
Hello everyone. I've been reading this thread but still unsure if there are Tesla supercharging stations on Okinawa. I currently live in Hawaii but am thinking of moving back to Okinawa. This would mean bringing my car with me but would not do so if there isn't a supercharging station. Are there actual supercharging stations on Okinawa that you all are using on a regular basis? Thank you.

I believe the process of converting from US plate to a Y plate is about the same pain as converting from Y to kanji... yes/no?