Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners That Hog Supercharger Spaces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, these people could legitimately be parking according to Tesla’s rules, since most SC locations have half the spots available for 30 minute general parking. Tesla needs to change this rule. It is crazy to give away needed SC spots, and any Tesla owner knows better. The ones that do this just don’t care. It’s their world and you are just living in it.
Its not Tesla’s rule, it’s the result of lease negotiations with the property owner. Usually it has to do with zoning requirements about number of parking spaces.

I think charging spots should be in the least convenient (farthest away) parking spots. Then there would be less incentive to block them.

I like being able to charge at spots but I shouldn’t also get the close parking privileges as well.

They should be. But depending on the circumstances, a lot of the time putting them in the far corner of the lot costs a lot more because you have to get the electricity over there.

Sure. Tesla could have just chosen not to install a supercharger at all. Then this wouldn't be an issue.
So only two options you can think of are don’t install a supercharger, or allow half the stalls to be used for general parking? Seems like you left out a lot of reasonable options any good lawyer could easily negotiate. Why waste the time installing expensive hardware that can’t be used a portion of the time. It’s just a non starter.

Which brings me back to the original issue I brought up. These people could be parking legally according to Tesla’s bad policy of allowing half the stalls to be used for general 30 minute parking. Some people just don’t care, which is why we have to have common sense rules.

Charge and GO !
Most people could get the charge they need in 15 - 20 minutes to get home or to the next charger.
Since the charge speed slows dramatically as the battery is charged over 70% why sit at the charger.
If you really need to charge to 80 or 90% to get where you need to go for it. Otherwise it is a waste of time and blocks a charger.
Tesla discourages people to charge over 80% at SuperChargers. It is better for the batteries and better for other Tesla owners needing a charge.

Seems like you left out a lot of reasonable options any good lawyer could easily negotiate.
No--you're still not understanding this and getting it wrong. It is non-negotiable by anyone in a lot of these places.
This has to do with city and/or state ordinances about required number of parking spaces per square foot of retail space. If a space is designated for car charging only, then that means it is subtracted from the number of spaces available for customer parking. When building most shopping centers, they usually prefer to allocate space more to the stores than to the parking lots, so usually they are just barely meeting that minimum required. So frequently the owners of the shopping center just can't subtract 8 or 12 spaces out of their customer parking to designate them for EV charging only. They would be in violation of the law. So no amount of lawyer skill in negotiating by either party can get around that in some of these cases. But it usually works out reasonably well in practice that most people (outside of some A-holes) will avoid parking in those Supercharger spaces if they have other options available.

There is a supercharger in my area that is iced mostly during the day. Its good to have superchargers like duh, but does Tesla have that much decision in exactly where the superchargers are installed on private property like a mall parking lot? Just from stories I have heard & past experiences they don't, & in parking lots where EV’s get iced they cater more to advertisement than convenience to Tesla or EV drivers. Some places they may end up having to dig & run power lines across a parking lot. It will still take some time to educate ICE & some EV drivers to be considerate of others that own EV’s

Reactions: JeffnReno
No--you're still not understanding this and getting it wrong. It is non-negotiable by anyone in a lot of these places.
This has to do with city and/or state ordinances about required number of parking spaces per square foot of retail space.

I'm sure that there are some jurisdictions that are like that.
In CA there are plenty of cities that require new parking lots to have some spaces marked as "EV/Clean Air" for example.
The businesses mark them this way then do nothing to enforce it.

the charge door is closed and their cars are locked.
I plugged in at a Supercharger location once and when I pressed the cable button to open my charge port cover, two more Teslas parked a few spots away that were not plugged in opened their covers as well. Unless something changed, you should be able to plug in a locked Tesla to a Tesla charger. Obviously won't work with an ordinary charger that doesn't speak Tesla.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Just another example of the continued decline of civilization. More and more peeps don't give a second thought to nor a care about anyone's needs or wants except their own. Insert <shaking my head in disgust> emoticon here.

It's too bad because with the population continuing to grow the only way everyone is going to "get along" is more tolerance and consideration of others, not less.

I plugged in at a Supercharger location once and when I pressed the cable button to open my charge port cover, two more Teslas parked a few spots away that were not plugged in opened their covers as well.

FWIW, my Model 3's charge-port door has never opened for a Supercharger. It does open for the UPC that came with the car, but not for Superchargers. That said, I've had the car for only three months, and although I went on an 1800-mile road trip with it, I've used it with only about half a dozen Superchargers, so maybe I've hit a string of Superchargers with bad transmitters. My charge door does open when I tap it, so it's not like I've been unable to charge.

Just another example of the continued decline of civilization. More and more peeps don't give a second thought to nor a care about anyone's needs or wants except their own. Insert <shaking my head in disgust> emoticon here.

I'm not sure that's true. People were complete jerks in the past, and in much worse ways than today. As evidence, I'll cite The Field of Blood: Violence in Congress and the Road to Civil War (Joanne B. Freeman, 2018). It documents some truly staggering a-holery on the part of Congressmen in the three decades leading up to the Civil War. A Tesla parked in a Supercharger spot and not charging is nothing by comparison. More broadly speaking, I suspect there's a sort of recency effect going on when we discuss today's alleged decline in civility -- it's easy to call to mind the time the guy cut you off on the road yesterday, but you'd be hard-pressed to remember such incidents from ten years ago, despite the fact that they happened. (This is not to say that our current politics isn't in sorry shape, but that's a bit of a special case.)

The Field of Blood | Joanne B. Freeman | Macmillan

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
This is more of a people being people problem than a Tesla owner problem. Some people are just rude, selfish, self absorbed. Some people really are dumb enough to think they're not doing anything wrong. I like the idea of taking a pic of VIN and sending to Tesla, does this actually work?

I would doubt it. I was driving home from a road trip recently and needed to plug in at Beech Grove (SE of Indianapolis). I plugged in, and a fellow owner told me that a few of the slots were down. This is an 8-stall SC. I moved to another spot, and got bupkus.

There is a person who has at least two Teslas that are licensed in Montana that he must use in a livery sort of business. He parks them at the Supercharger plugs at this location when they are not being driven about. Two of his vehicles were parked at stalls 1A and 1B. They were not plugged in.

As I drove off to get some charge at the downtown urban chargers, I telephoned Tesla to notify them of the outages. I also mentioned the two cars that were just parked and not charging. The attendant sympathized, but claimed that Tesla was helpless in this regard. He said that it would be better to contact the property owner (a La Quinta motel) and complain. Whether he was truthful or just giving me the brush off, I do not know. But I would guess that Tesla is not going to be in the business of baby-sitting us owners. Idle fees and the 80% charging limit will be about as far as they will go.

When states enact meaningful legislation that gives property owners the right to notify law enforcement for immediate towing or hefty fines, we will have turned the corner. Until then, I think we are SOL.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Right after purchasing my Model 3 last fall, my daughter and I went on a road trip. Our next stop was near the max range of the car, so I plugged it in and charged it to max outside Portland, Oregon. We went inside for lunch while waiting. We spent longer than we had planned inside the restaurant. When we came back, someone had kindly taken a dirty diaper and written on our windows, "N00B CHARGE". The diaper was stuffed under the wipers. I wish I had had Sentry Mode at that point....

Anyway, don't touch someone else's car! A simple "rules of charging" business card tucked into the windshield/doorjam is one thing, but don't be an ass. At the same time, geofencing would be welcome.

Right after purchasing my Model 3 last fall, my daughter and I went on a road trip. Our next stop was near the max range of the car, so I plugged it in and charged it to max outside Portland, Oregon. We went inside for lunch while waiting. We spent longer than we had planned inside the restaurant. When we came back, someone had kindly taken a dirty diaper and written on our windows, "N00B CHARGE". The diaper was stuffed under the wipers. I wish I had had Sentry Mode at that point....

Anyway, don't touch someone else's car! A simple "rules of charging" business card tucked into the windshield/doorjam is one thing, but don't be an ass. At the same time, geofencing would be welcome.

Maan sorry to hear that.
Even worse is the mention of a dirty diaper, that just means these "folks" are spawning even more of their kind to do this...

I have been seeing more and more Tesla owners parking in supercharger spots unplugged just so they have a better parking space to do their shopping. I am not sure how Tesla can address this.

Just today, someone parked next to me while charging at a very busy supercharger location and did not plug in. They just left. They know it will cost them to leave it plugged in so they just game the system this way.

This is just as bad as ICING, perhaps worse since they know full well what they are doing.

Would love to hear thoughts on this.

Greg - NJ
Yeah, I observed this several times at the Scottsdale Quarter SpC in Arizona while on a golf trip. I had driven out from San Diego and staying at a place without a destination charger so I was needing a charge. Went to dinner at the Scottsdale Quarter each evening and often times grabbed the last open SpC spot to plug in - this place is packed in the evenings. On at least 2 of the evenings, a Tesla was parked in one of the spots and not plugged in. Interestingly, it was also a Model X both times.

People who are that inconsiderate aren’t going to care about a sign. And no one could possibly think it’s OK to use it as a parking space because they’re driving a Tesla. Tesla has its share of jerks as owners now. My guess is their previous car started with a B and ended with a W.
Hey now - be careful. My wife just picked up a nice low mileage 2016 CPO 228i convertible, and she's definitely not a jerk. :D