Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners wanted for DC fast charger launch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Combined Charging System (CCS) comes in 2 flavours, for CCS1 the top round part of the CCS is based on the J1772 standard of charging whilst the CCS2 that part is more like the Mennekes or IEC62196 used on the Model S.
From the look of the pictures it appears to be Type 2, particularly given that it was being used with a BMW i3.
From my understanding most manufacturers of vehicles and charging equipment are moving away from CCS1 now that the IEC have given the nod to CCS2.

If it fit the i3, it'll be CCS type 1 then. Unfortunately BMW has released the i3 in Australia with a CCS type 1 inlet. It makes no sense whatsoever as we are a 230/400v three phase country, same as Europe. The only reason I can guess they did it is because most other EVs (of which they are very few and are of Japanese origin) have J1772 sockets and that's what the limited number of charge stations around have. Even Audi has gone type 1 (non CCS) on its A3 e-Tron.

Fortunately Tesla has chosen the correct Type 2 port on the Model S for Australia, but not being CCS, it's not really going to force any charge stations to adopt type 2. Will still be interesting to see if Tesla adds the Type 2 option in Europe and therefore Australia.

I really think it's time for a little ADR intervention that requires EVs to have a Type 2 or Type 2 CCS port on Australian delivered EVs.

Adam.

Type-1 vehicles coexist well in Europe because most of the public charging stations are socketed and people carry their own cable appropriate to the inlet on their vehicle (Type-1 or Type-2). If people want to promote the use of Type-2, then promote the installation of socketed Type-2 charging stations instead of ones that have tethered Type-1 cables. However, now that CCS Type-1 cars have been introduced in Australia, they have set the de-facto standard. While you can comingle Type-1 and Type-2 for AC charging, DCFC is a different story. IMHO, you should just accept it and get the proper adapter for your Tesla to use public Type-1 stations and a CHAdeMO adapter if there are any public DCFC where you travel.

Type-1 vehicles coexist well in Europe because most of the public charging stations are socketed and people carry their own cable appropriate to the inlet on their vehicle (Type-1 or Type-2). If people want to promote the use of Type-2, then promote the installation of socketed Type-2 charging stations instead of ones that have tethered Type-1 cables. However, now that CCS Type-1 cars have been introduced in Australia, they have set the de-facto standard. While you can comingle Type-1 and Type-2 for AC charging, DCFC is a different story. IMHO, you should just accept it and get the proper adapter for your Tesla to use public Type-1 stations and a CHAdeMO adapter if there are any public DCFC where you travel.

Nah, I refuse to accept it, especially from BMW and Audi, they are even preventing their own customers from L2 three phase charging (even if their current models don't support it, they could in the future). Perhaps if Telsa does release a type 2 CCS port on its cars in Europe (as rumored), it will also do so here, and then that in turn may help BMW and Audi to change their minds.

Besides its not a done deal, Tesla has the most EVs on Australian roads, and they are Type 2, if not CCS. I guess there would be a few Type 1 Outlander PHEVs, but I really wouldn't bother charging one of those away from my residence anyway.

If BMW and Audi has put type 2 sockets on their cars, their customers could have also sneaked a a charge on a Telsa Destination Charger!

Adam.

Nah, I refuse to accept it, especially from BMW and Audi, they are even preventing their own customers from L2 three phase charging (even if their current models don't support it, they could in the future). Perhaps if Telsa does release a type 2 CCS port on its cars in Europe (as rumored), it will also do so here, and then that in turn may help BMW and Audi to change their minds.

Besides its not a done deal, Tesla has the most EVs on Australian roads, and they are Type 2, if not CCS. I guess there would be a few Type 1 Outlander PHEVs, but I really wouldn't bother charging one of those away from my residence anyway.

If BMW and Audi has put type 2 sockets on their cars, their customers could have also sneaked a a charge on a Telsa Destination Charger!

Adam.
I completely understand where you're coming from. The Japanese and American cars clearly want to use Type-1 J1772 and you can see it in the cars that were tepidly introduced in Australia - MiEV, Volt, Leaf, Outlander - I'm pretty sure all of those are Type-1. The Japanese get away with it because they use Type-1 + CHAdeMO. There is really no excuse for the Europeans though. They should have used Type-2 on the cars imported to Australia, especially the ones with CCS. Is the i3 the only CCS vehicle in Australia at this point? The other strange thing about the European makes is that I don't think any of them actually have 3-phase charging except Renault and Smart. For example, the European e-Golf has a weak 1-phase 3.6kW on-board charger to go with its CCS Type-2 inlet. Weak. At least in US we get 7.2kW 1-phase charging on our e-Golf with CCS Type-1 inlet.

I completely understand where you're coming from. The Japanese and American cars clearly want to use Type-1 J1772 and you can see it in the cars that were tepidly introduced in Australia - MiEV, Volt, Leaf, Outlander - I'm pretty sure all of those are Type-1. The Japanese get away with it because they use Type-1 + CHAdeMO. There is really no excuse for the Europeans though. They should have used Type-2 on the cars imported to Australia, especially the ones with CCS. Is the i3 the only CCS vehicle in Australia at this point? The other strange thing about the European makes is that I don't think any of them actually have 3-phase charging except Renault and Smart. For example, the European e-Golf has a weak 1-phase 3.6kW on-board charger to go with its CCS Type-2 inlet. Weak. At least in US we get 7.2kW 1-phase charging on our e-Golf with CCS Type-1 inlet.

Yes, I believe the i3 is the only CCS vehicle currently on sale. Your right about the lack of three phase capability, except for the Renaults 3phase fast charger, but having a type to inlet at least allows for the future possibility.

It's just a wait and see at the moment!

EDIT: Just check another vehicle I had even forgotten was on sale in Oz, Porsche's plug in boats the Cayenne And Panacotta E-Hybrids, it also have Type 1 non CCS, the mind boggles.

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the i3 is the only CCS vehicle currently on sale. Your right about the lack of three phase capability, except for the Renaults 3phase fast charger, but having a type to inlet at least allows for the future possibility.

It's just a wait and see at the moment!

EDIT: Just check another vehicle I had even forgotten was on sale in Oz, Porsche's plug in boats the Cayenne And Panacotta E-Hybrids, it also have Type 1 non CCS, the mind boggles.

For hybrids fast charging is not nearly as important. Firstly they tend to small batteries (circa 10 kWh) and so even at a slow charge rate can fill in 2-3 hours. Secondly they are not relying on charging to get them places. If you need a quick "recharge" in a hybrid you fill it up with fuel and keep going. Then when you reach your destination plug in for a few hours and you are ready to drive your 30-40kms of electric miles again.

Why bother with more expensive faster technologies when you are not goin. To get stranded waiting for charging because you can just drive on petrol.

The cynical amongst us might also suggest that the plug in part of the hybrid is just to get around emission targets and is not seen as really being an important part of the experience by manufacturers that have spent their life building ICEs.

For hybrids fast charging is not nearly as important. Firstly they tend to small batteries (circa 10 kWh) and so even at a slow charge rate can fill in 2-3 hours. Secondly they are not relying on charging to get them places. If you need a quick "recharge" in a hybrid you fill it up with fuel and keep going. Then when you reach your destination plug in for a few hours and you are ready to drive your 30-40kms of electric miles again.

Why bother with more expensive faster technologies when you are not goin. To get stranded waiting for charging because you can just drive on petrol.

The cynical amongst us might also suggest that the plug in part of the hybrid is just to get around emission targets and is not seen as really being an important part of the experience by manufacturers that have spent their life building ICEs.

I think you have massed my point, I'm discussing the incorrect socket type being deployed on Australian delivered EVs and PHEVs, I'm not suggesting PHEVs should have a DCFC port at all, I also think it's a waste of time.

What I am saying his is that all EVs/PHEVs in Australia should be using the type 2 socket NOT type 1, regardless of whether or not it has the CCS extension pins, due to our 230/400v three phase grid.

I was just giving examples of European origin manufacturers that have gone the type 1 rather than type 2 route.

But, there are already hundreds of J1772 ChargePoints deployed all over Australia with the network continuing to grow.

Whilst it might not be the ideal solution when starting from a clean slate the fact is they are here and are by far and away the most common (non-Tesla) charging solution around. And, they are also easily accessible by Teslas as well with a relatively inexpensive adapter.

But, there are already hundreds of J1772 ChargePoints deployed all over Australia with the network continuing to grow.

Whilst it might not be the ideal solution when starting from a clean slate the fact is they are here and are by far and away the most common (non-Tesla) charging solution around. And, they are also easily accessible by Teslas as well with a relatively inexpensive adapter.

And they could all be change to type 2 relatively easily by changing the cord, and other cars could then use them relatively inexpensive adaptor!

I really don't think there are many L2 charge stations at all in this country, so that's not really an excuse, cars could have been shipped with type 2 ports and a type 1 adaptor. It's such a small installed base that I truly don't think it's worth throwing in the towel just yet.

Adam.

Not sure what your are getting at here. I've used the Brisbane BMW charger several times with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

That's because the one at Brisbane BMW got a firmware update done around mid-May last year. Before that it was incompatible with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

One reason the Gatton charger may have been not working with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is because it may have been installed with the same incompatible firmware that the Brisbane BMW one had until it was upgraded.

That's because the one at Brisbane BMW got a firmware update done around mid-May last year. Before that it was incompatible with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter.

One reason the Gatton charger may have been not working with the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter is because it may have been installed with the same incompatible firmware that the Brisbane BMW one had until it was upgraded.

My bad... I should read more carefully. Thought you were referring to now not historically.