Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owners will meet in Schmallenberg (germany) next week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

if you are able to come to Schmallenberg (close to Winterberg in Germany) next week the 17th and 18th of December 2011, you are welcome! send me a PM.

Link to google maps:
Waldhaus Ohlenbach

6 Roadster will meet on the 17th for Dinner and charge&sleep in a nice small hotel in the middle of nowhere :)
After breakfast on Sunday the 18th, we will check some nice roadster tours through Sauerland.

Link to:
German Thread

we recommend winter tires.

Importand: Till now all participants will bring their partners - so at least our women could talk about something else than the roadster :love:

cheers
Michael

How will the small hotel handle charging 6 roadsters? Will they have multiple high power outlets, or will one of you have to get up in the middle of the night to swap plugs?

I ask this because I imagine as EVs become more and more popular, hotels along major highways (or popular destinations) might run into the problem of multiple EVs needing to charge a couple of hours during an overnight stay.

How will the small hotel handle charging 6 roadsters? Will they have multiple high power outlets, or will one of you have to get up in the middle of the night to swap plugs?

I ask this because I imagine as EVs become more and more popular, hotels along major highways (or popular destinations) might run into the problem of multiple EVs needing to charge a couple of hours during an overnight stay.

We had a call with the technician of the hotel, They have a 63A three-phase alternating current. They will break this down for us to 2x 32A polyphase. The Roadster will take 32A on only 1 phase, so we build our own adapters to get three roadster, one on each phase, to allow 6 roadster charging in parallel.

if you come, we organize another charge point ;-) (and we will be impressed)

by the way, how much would it cost me to bring my roadster to the US for a roundtrip?

Example:
German 32A polyphase jack protected with a key secured switch
DSC_8693.jpg

Adapter to split the three phases to three roadster
DSC_8691.jpg

Picture from an EV event, where on one stopp, the company we visited build up a power distribution for the event.
DSC_8647.jpg

How do you organize "charge-partys" in the US?

Last edited:
We had a call with the technician of the hotel, They have a 63A three-phase alternating current. They will break this down for us to 2x 32A polyphase. The Roadster will take 32A on only 1 phase, so we build our own adapters to get three roadster, one on each phase, to allow 6 roadster charging in parallel.
I wonder whether the transformers in Germany are capable of delivering continuous current near the circuit rating. Here in California, we caused a transformer to overheat and fail by charging five cars at 40A in an RV park. That load was well within the panel rating, but the transformer cannot handle the load for an extended period of time. You are wise to reduce the draw to 24A when that is sufficient. The total energy drawn through the transformer will be the same, but over a longer period, so there is more time for heat to dissipate.

there is no transformer per street or block in Germany. There is one hugh Transformer for the whole village , maybe 2 if necessary.

normaly the transformer have plenty reserves.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the transformers in Germany are capable of delivering continuous current near the circuit rating. .

Luckily this isn't true here in Germany and I think in main Europe (including GB of course) too. Otherwise I would have to inform the NASA that the switching lights of my village isn't a secret Morse code for aliens but only me, trying to charge my car :smile:

And I'm just upgrading my charging point from 40 kW to 70 kW for a HPC@70A. The new polyphase meter has a range up to 250 kW and the grid supplier told me, that it's possible to upgrade the power line to 250 kW, the transformer is only in 30 m distance from my garage so they can install very easily a bigger power line. So, I'm well prepared for the Model S fast charging :cool:

And I'm living in a village with 3,000 +- inhabitants.:biggrin:

And thanks to the 3-phase system everything went well, no Blackout in Schmallenberg.
First pictures you'll find here (text in German), lights are still on in the morning :wink: :

Tesla-Fahrer und -Freunde Forum Thema anzeigen - Dez 2011 Waldhaus Ohlenbach o. 4 Tesla im Schnee