Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Owners Will Soon Be Able to Request Mobile Repair Service Through App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In an effort to increase “owner happiness,” Tesla will enable owners to request mobile repair service through their smartphones. The mobile-based service would also nix any paperwork involved in receiving service.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted plans for the service, noting that it will be more expensive for the company but “worth doing” for the benefit of owners.

Tesla owners receive roadside assistance for the first four years or 50,000 miles. The company says 80 percent of repairs can be accomplished outside of the service center. There are now more than 350 mobile service vans in operation.

Musk also said the company is working on an app feature that would enable owners to detect the origin of rattles or squeaks in their vehicles by using their smartphones to detect an acoustic signature and triangulation. He did not give a specific timeline for when the new features would arrive in the app.

Last edited by a moderator:
You make that seem like a common occurrence
common occurrence (mobile service segway shortly)? common like SC's so overcrowded you arrive ½hr before opening & you still need ½hr to get up to the front of the line for your ongoing X problems? Not trying to sound impatient or indignant, because we knew the x was issues/twitchy going into it, even after it'd been on the market over a year - compared to our S. But with the model 3 now out, the SC lines are getting even longer. Consider the picture i snapped of our multi function display - what was behind me in line during one of our many visits, just waiting to get closer to the driveway apron and out of the street;
20180219_072701.jpg

Poor slob - says his 2 week old model 3 has already been back twice. Perhaps the mobile repair is NOT more expensive. If the mobile system keeps Teslas from racking up weeks of SC repair time, Tesla avoids potential 'Lemon' statused cars. No one wants that - and no one likes showing up for a repair appointment that you can't even get to - due to SC overcrowding.

common occurrence (mobile service segway shortly)? common like SC's so overcrowded you arrive ½hr before opening & you still need ½hr to get up to the front of the line for your ongoing X problems? Not trying to sound impatient or indignant, because we knew the x was issues/twitchy going into it, even after it'd been on the market over a year - compared to our S. But with the model 3 now out, the SC lines are getting even longer. Consider the picture i snapped of our multi function display - what was behind me in line during one of our many visits, just waiting to get closer to the driveway apron and out of the street;
View attachment 303008
Poor slob - says his 2 week old model 3 has already been back twice. Perhaps the mobile repair is NOT more expensive. If the mobile system keeps Teslas from racking up weeks of SC repair time, Tesla avoids potential 'Lemon' statused cars. No one wants that - and no one likes showing up for a repair appointment that you can't even get to - due to SC overcrowding.

Obviously I'm not feeling the pinch, but from reading about experiences here, and knowing that a few hundred thousand new vehicles are hitting the streets over the next year... it is
going to get ugly. I used to argue in other threads that this is where the value of an actual dealership comes in. Would you pay an extra 5% if you knew you had a nearby place to
take the vehicle, get in, they have parts, get out? I sure would. What is the cost of missing work to drive or tow your car 200 miles? A lot more than a measly addon to the sticker price.

The worst stories I see here are about calling some random person for service... then calling back... and back and nothing happens. Yuck. They really can't mess up QC
for the $35,000 versions coming out, those people don't have alternative means of transportation.

I'm 1000km from a service centre, will it still cost me $1500 to get the technician to come to me as it does now for Model S owners?
I'm 500 km from a service center and mobile service for warranty stuff is no cost. I presume that out-of-warranty service will have a mileage charge and a ranger told me that sometimes they can bulk visits together to reduce the cost for customers.

Very few new vehicles these days include a spare, including the Tesla models...

And I always ask, "When did you last have a flat?" My last tire leak, which was slow, and repaired with a plug with the tire on the car, was about 15 years ago. Yes, I know that some people live in areas where people litter the road with nails, glass, metal shards, and they dig deep holes and fill them with water. I would assume that in those circumstances I might throw a spare into the trunk.

My daughter had a flat a month or so ago. Seems she hit a curb, did not bother to stop and look at the damage, drove on it flat, and ruined the tire and wheel. Some people can't have nice things.

And I always ask, "When did you last have a flat?" My last tire leak, which was slow, and repaired with a plug with the tire on the car, was about 15 years ago. Yes, I know that some people live in areas where people litter the road with nails, glass, metal shards, and they dig deep holes and fill them with water. I would assume that in those circumstances I might throw a spare into the trunk.

My daughter had a flat a month or so ago. Seems she hit a curb, did not bother to stop and look at the damage, drove on it flat, and ruined the tire and wheel. Some people can't have nice things.
Couple years ago. Road was a mess due to the utility company. The 2ft wide cuts they made and patched were falling in. I caught the edge of one and it tore open
the side of the tire. Made it down the drive and changed the darn thing.