Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Owners Work in Oil/Gas Industry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I graduate in May with an engineering degree and start work for an oil and gas company. I've been looking at the model 3 for a while now and just love everything about it. Looking to see if having an EV has effected anyone negatively while working in the oil/gas industry. Im hoping it never comes down to politics and effects raises or promotions in the future...

Hello,

I graduate in May with an engineering degree and start work for an oil and gas company. I've been looking at the model 3 for a while now and just love everything about it. Looking to see if having an EV has effected anyone negatively while working in the oil/gas industry. Im hoping it never comes down to politics and effects raises or promotions in the future...
Wondering if anyone had any updated opinions or examples since this post was from 5 years ago.

Wondering if anyone had any updated opinions or examples since this post was from 5 years ago.
Sure, find another job. You just got a job in a failing industry, plus, you work for something destroying the planet....not too favorable in my mind. I don't mind telling you this because my now deceased grandfather work for mobil and then Exxon after they merged. That was his generation, not ours. Ours is wind, solar, battery storage.

And yes, you should get a Model 3. It's freakin awesome. :)

Sure, find another job. You just got a job in a failing industry, plus, you work for something destroying the planet....not too favorable in my mind. I don't mind telling you this because my now deceased grandfather work for mobil and then Exxon after they merged. That was his generation, not ours. Ours is wind, solar, battery storage.

And yes, you should get a Model 3. It's freakin awesome. :)

It's an oil and gas company but is owned by GE, so the transition should be fine. The industry won't be dead until I am long retired and that is where the money is at the moment. I've heard amazing things about the Model 3, super excited about it!

The oil industry has about a decade left of demand. I suggest you start reading this thread. Good luck.

Shorting Oil, Hedging Tesla
Come on now, America's oil industry just hit a peak of 10.9 BPD in 2018, the highest recorded since 1970. How can you see such a massive change in a matter of 10 years? I understand the industry is in decline and that sustainable energy is the future but a decade is just not close. They won't have any problems for another 30-40 years.

Come on now, America's oil industry just hit a peak of 10.9 BPD in 2018, the highest recorded since 1970. How can you see such a massive change in a matter of 10 years? I understand the industry is in decline and that sustainable energy is the future but a decade is just not close. They won't have any problems for another 30-40 years.
And thats 10.9 million BPD

I work in Oil and Gas, and I own a Tesla. None of my colleagues have any concern with me buying it, I only have has positive feedback. Avid consumers of petrol are far worse than avid producers when it comes to negative feedback. I don't feel guilty for working in the industry, we maintain/improve the standard of living for most of the worlds population and my contributions as an engineer mean more people go home safely and we do what we do more efficiently than if I wasn't involved. I also get to play with really big, big boys toys and someone pays me for the privilege!

That said, what we do is not sustainable in the long term, environmentally or economically. The cost and waste of many of these large projects is of a scale you have to see first hand to understand. So I welcome the transition, as do many of my colleagues. I have recently spoken to a number of new graduates and explained to them that while I think I will have a full career in oil and gas (I'm 14 years in and expect another 15-20 years), they may not and they need to diversify their skills and experiences. That said, any transition will likely be slow, not sudden. The world will continue to have a need for good, capable engineers well after oil, gas, and coal are relevant.

@Canyonh If Oil is around at scale for another 30 years, that would still mean in 10 years we start to see a rapid slow down in Capex (where most engineering is needed) and in 20 years it would almost cease altogether. Equally, if we ceased all Capex tomorrow, some of the larger projects that have come online recently have expected field lives of over 40 to 50 years. I think that 30 years is the most realistic scenario myself for most major road transportation.

That said, even if we all drove electric cars, trucking, flying and most importantly shipping still seem a long way off.

I work in Oil and Gas, and I own a Tesla. None of my colleagues have any concern with me buying it, I only have has positive feedback. Avid consumers of petrol are far worse than avid producers when it comes to negative feedback. I don't feel guilty for working in the industry, we maintain/improve the standard of living for most of the worlds population and my contributions as an engineer mean more people go home safely and we do what we do more efficiently than if I wasn't involved. I also get to play with really big, big boys toys and someone pays me for the privilege!

That said, what we do is not sustainable in the long term, environmentally or economically. The cost and waste of many of these large projects is of a scale you have to see first hand to understand. So I welcome the transition, as do many of my colleagues. I have recently spoken to a number of new graduates and explained to them that while I think I will have a full career in oil and gas (I'm 14 years in and expect another 15-20 years), they may not and they need to diversify their skills and experiences. That said, any transition will likely be slow, not sudden. The world will continue to have a need for good, capable engineers well after oil, gas, and coal are relevant.

@Canyonh If Oil is around at scale for another 30 years, that would still mean in 10 years we start to see a rapid slow down in Capex (where most engineering is needed) and in 20 years it would almost cease altogether. Equally, if we ceased all Capex tomorrow, some of the larger projects that have come online recently have expected field lives of over 40 to 50 years. I think that 30 years is the most realistic scenario myself for most major road transportation.

That said, even if we all drove electric cars, trucking, flying and most importantly shipping still seem a long way off.

Thank you for the input @Munka, very helpful!

Right, you might be fine, but there's no reason for a new college grad who is in their early 20s to go into this industry. Besides the economics of renewable energy now better than dirty energy, the Earth is warming up and we are over 400PPM now. Not sure why a younger person would want to work in a declining industry....

Plus, Tesla is about to produce the Semi which cuts into the trucking industry and flying is only about 10 years out as well by this projection. Have you guys been following all of this? Tesla is about to acquire Maxwell that will give them a better way to manufacture their cells.
asdfasdfasdf.png

asdf.png

@ggies07 yes that's effectively what I said except I'm not sold on the truck just yet. I think it will make a lot of sense for certain applications and no sense for others (when weight becomes a concern for example).

I would also not tell people what to do with their lives, a bit of advice can't hurt but if a grad knows what they are getting into and is prepared to reskill mid career then that's their choice. Most disciplines can transfer to other industrial engineering applications with minimal effort. It's not like electrical engineers deal with different electrons if they move to lithium mining.

@ggies07 yes that's effectively what I said except I'm not sold on the truck just yet. I think it will make a lot of sense for certain applications and no sense for others (when weight becomes a concern for example).

I would also not tell people what to do with their lives, a bit of advice can't hurt but if a grad knows what they are getting into and is prepared to reskill mid career then that's their choice. Most disciplines can transfer to other industrial engineering applications with minimal effort. It's not like electrical engineers deal with different electrons if they move to lithium mining.
Yeah I can see finishing my career in another industry but there are no other jobs paying 80k out of college so i'll stick with this for now and start worrying when it actually becomes a concern in a few decades.