Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla ownership on the Big Island and in Puna specifically

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're considering a move from Colorado to the Big Island later this year. We have spent quite a bit of time in Puna on previous trips and it suits us in many ways so that's where we're looking at neighborhoods currently. I am aware, though, of the generally higher level of crime in Puna compared to the rest of the Big Island. So... Big Island folks, is owning a Tesla (Model X specifically) in Puna a bad idea from a theft perspective? Coming from Colorado we get a lot of attention from curious folks when we open the falcon-wing doors, but we don't feel unsafe here.

We're considering a move from Colorado to the Big Island later this year. We have spent quite a bit of time in Puna on previous trips and it suits us in many ways so that's where we're looking at neighborhoods currently. I am aware, though, of the generally higher level of crime in Puna compared to the rest of the Big Island. So... Big Island folks, is owning a Tesla (Model X specifically) in Puna a bad idea from a theft perspective? Coming from Colorado we get a lot of attention from curious folks when we open the falcon-wing doors, but we don't feel unsafe here.

Hi! Another resource to consider is the Big Island EV organization. Big Island Electric Vehicle Association There are a few Tesla owners from Hilo area that belong to that group.

Thank you. I've been in contact with their Puna advisor who has been super helpful.

Nanette - thanks for the referral!

acoloradan - I assume you're in touch with Lorn. He's a great guy and should be able to address your questions about ownership in Puna. We have at least 3 other Tesla owners in that area (2 in HPP and 1 in Beaches). As you should know by now, there are countless neighborhoods in an area about the size of Kauai. A consideration, in addition to the nature of the the neigboring homes, is the infrastructure (paved roads, piped water, etc...).

You're in good hands with Lorn but let me know if I can help.