Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ownership/Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Nismo

Aug 6, 2017
How is Tesla ownership been, specifically folks who do not have a service center in their city? I do live in a large city (Louisville KY), but the service center is 115 miles away (Cincinnati, OH) .

What kinds of things do you need to be at the service center for vs what kinds of things can you have an independent shop work on?

What happens if the car stop working for some reason. I guess you would need to pay a shipping charge up to the service center?

Are there shops dedicated to Tesla service in cities that do not have a service center? Or Tesla technicians (Rangers) in those cities? Would they come out to road side service, like flats etc? Would they perform more in-depth repairs at home if needed? Do they still offer someone to come with a loaner car, and take your car back to the service center?

How is Tesla ownership been, specifically folks who do not have a service center in their city? I do live in a large city (Louisville KY), but the service center is 115 miles away (Cincinnati, OH) .

Fortunately, Teslas are generally maintenance free. I live about 90 miles (but almost two hours) from my closest service center and fortunately I have not had to return. I have had a few minor maintenance issues, but I'm waiting until my annual service to take care of them.

What kinds of things do you need to be at the service center for vs what kinds of things can you have an independent shop work on?

You pretty much need Tesla service for everything. Most independent shops arent' authorized to work on Tesla - nor are they willing to. Other than tires and Tesla approved body shops, you won't find much non-Tesla service out there.

What happens if the car stop working for some reason. I guess you would need to pay a shipping charge up to the service center?

If your car is new enough to be under warranty, Tesla has 24/7 roadside assistance. Fortunately, I haven't needed it, but in the event of a breakdown, they should come and take your car and bring it to the nearest service center.

Are there shops dedicated to Tesla service in cities that do not have a service center? Or Tesla technicians (Rangers) in those cities? Would they come out to road side service, like flats etc? Would they perform more in-depth repairs at home if needed? Do they still offer someone to come with a loaner car, and take your car back to the service center?

Check out this article: Tesla adding 100 service centers, 1,000 technicians as Model 3 goes on sale

Take note of this section: Tesla also is adding 350 vans to its mobile service fleet, mostly in the U.S. The vans go to owners' homes or offices and repair their cars while they wait, typically for about one hour. The vans are equipped with tools and replacement parts as well as an espresso machine, snacks and kids' toys.

Tesla is greatly increasing the number of service centers and the mobile service fleet. For roadside service, Tesla would send the 24/7 roadside assistance. This would encompass "flat" service. Often times, they will bring a replacement "loaner" wheel for you and then bring your original wheel to the service center to be fixed.

...do not have a service center in their city...

Tesla Service Centers are in a California metropolitan about 200 miles from my Central Valley California town.

I've saved all my older 2012 Model S' minor problems and drive long distance to Tesla Service Center once a year for annual checkup.

When my tires wore off in between, I just used my local tires hop and printed out owner's manual for them to follow (disable air suspension, jack points, 4-wheel alignment spec, torq spec for lug nuts...)

Of course, if mine break down on the road, Tesla Roadside service would take care of long distance towing up to 500 miles so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's a hassle but not bad over all.

-------------------
1. You're lucky! All of us in the Maritimes Provinces of Canada are a two day drive way from a Service Center.

2. Tesla's view is that there are NO things you can have an independent shop do. However, we have done brake work, A/C recharging, TPMS sensor replacement, etc. locally, with varying degrees of knowledge by the SC of what we are doing.

3. In the early days, Tesla would pick up the car if it were disabled and transport it ot he Service Center at no charge. Presently that charge is $1500 each way for us in PEI. Of course, the kinds of failures that would completely disable the car are quite rare.

4.A. To my knowledge there are no Tesla-blessed service shops (aside from body shop work, which the SCs don't do) in cities without a SC. However, if you take care to cultivate a positive and close relationship with your nearest SC they will often work with you on repairs that don't really need to be done at the SC. They have done that for us several times.

4.B. It would be crazy for them come out for flat fixing. AAA is the answer for that, and with many contemporary cars not carrying spares you would want AAA coverage anyway.

4.C. There is an option for Ranger Service (at your home), and in the beginning the cost could be completely covered by a separate service agreement which could be purchased for -- I think -- $2400 for 4 years or $4200 for eight years. Even though that agreement was for annual service visits, it always worked for us in getting needed repairs or upgrades. Now, depending on the distance (and even though they deny it, the varying policies of the various SCs), it may not be affordable at all. Even if it is financially feasible to do onsite today, you have to have a suitable place, along with access to tools (jacks, jackstands, etc.) for the types of repairs that they intend to do onsite.

4.D. Based on five years of experience with them, there is NO chance of a Tesla employee driving a loaner car out to you (at 115 miles) and taking your car in for service. When I am in a city with a SC they have done that routinely for me, however.

Summary -- don't worry too much about all that stuff. It is very unlikely that you would ever have an emergency disablement of your car. At a couple of hours drive to your Service Center, the routine needs would just be a pleasant Mozart album away!