Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - P License - NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if you can drive Tesla model 3 in a valet mode if you are on your red or green P’s? NSW doesn’t allow provisional drivers to drive a Tesla, so wondering if valet mode is a way around it. Thanks

It's not actually the kW/kg limit. The 3 SR+ is under the kW/kg limit but is instead limited due to the 0-100 time. I spoke with RMS about this and confirmed that any car with a sub 6 second 0-100 is restricted from P plates in NSW.
Can I limit this through any setting in a Tesla (other than valet mode)? This may be wishful thinking, but if I could limit on the app, then prove via the app if pulled over.
thanks!

Upvote 0
I think Tesla needs to work with the authority to get this resolved. Soon there will be many Tesla-only households with teenagers need to learn to drive. Tesla can even make L and P modes to comply with the rules for the new drivers, maybe even with additional safety measures. I don't think this will happen soon though or FSD will come soon enough that they will never need to learn to drive ;)

My experience when supervising my two children on L plate was the accidental accelerator press. One while practicing parking and another while on a roundabout. Luckily both were saved by somewhat quick reactions and the slow acceleration of the small hatchback we had. I imagine the same situation might have turned out badly with a Tesla.

BTW, I once saw a Model 3 with L plate around Sydney south west. Probably the owner didn't know about the restriction.

Upvote 0
I think Tesla needs to work with the authority to get this resolved. Soon there will be many Tesla-only households with teenagers need to learn to drive. Tesla can even make L and P modes to comply with the rules for the new drivers, maybe even with additional safety measures. I don't think this will happen soon though or FSD will come soon enough that they will never need to learn to drive ;)

My experience when supervising my two children on L plate was the accidental accelerator press. One while practicing parking and another while on a roundabout. Luckily both were saved by somewhat quick reactions and the slow acceleration of the small hatchback we had. I imagine the same situation might have turned out badly with a Tesla.

BTW, I once saw a Model 3 with L plate around Sydney south west. Probably the owner didn't know about the restriction.
It’s my understanding that the restrictions apply only to P1/P2 drivers. As a learner requires the supervision of a fully licensed driver at all times the restrictions do not apply to them.
when I was learning to drive i didn’t slow down fast enough coming into Berrima in my dad’s Statesmen and got pulled over. My dad got the ticket and I got a warning.

Reactions: Flatbat
Upvote 0
I saw a Model 3 with L plates on it in Sydney’s Inner West. I was surprised.

But then I read the rules, and the restrictions apply only to holders of a Provisional licence. The restriction does not apply to Learners, presumably because they are in the car with an adult with an unrestricted licence:

Having said that, there is no way I’d let my kids learn to drive in my Model 3. As @adee said, the risk of a bad outcome with an accidental accelerator press is way higher in a Tesla. They can learn on my LEAF, in Eco mode.

Upvote 0
Having said that, there is no way I’d let my kids learn to drive in my Model 3. As @adee said, the risk of a bad outcome with an accidental accelerator press is way higher in a Tesla. They can learn on my LEAF, in Eco mode.
I use obstacle aware acceleration. It (rarely) can be annoying when it thinks there's an obstacle whilst I'm in pole position, in the dickhead lane, trying to take off quickly at lights. But in most cases better to have it then not.

This should save them from most accidental accelerator presses.

Upvote 0
I use obstacle aware acceleration. It (rarely) can be annoying when it thinks there's an obstacle whilst I'm in pole position, in the dickhead lane, trying to take off quickly at lights. But in most cases better to have it then not.

This should save them from most accidental accelerator presses.
I use it too, but have never seen it hobble me when launching from pole position. It works very well as intended to reduce acceleration in confined spaces like a carport or when parking.
My youngest is on his L plates and I have been enjoying teaching teaching him to drive in my M3 over the past six months. The only counter intuitive feature is its idiosyncrasy of toggling indicators off by a further press in the direction of turn. I know the blinkers can be turned off by opposite direction, like other cars. Just that this often leads to an unwanted opposite signal. Overall a pretty relaxing affair and have no hesitation in using the Tesla.

Upvote 0
Short answer: No. NSW-issued provisional license limits don't care what mode your car is set to.

Long answer: Congratulations on your new small business or residence in the Australian Capital Territory! Go find the nearest Canberra Connect office to transfer your license over!
A bit late but i was curious as to what you suggested^^

Is it possible to drive a tesla if i have an ACT licence and am in nsw? im a bit confused as apparently, if you're in nsw for more than 3 months on an interstate licence, you must transfer your licence over to nsw then :((

Upvote 0
A bit late but i was curious as to what you suggested^^

Is it possible to drive a tesla if i have an ACT licence and am in nsw?
Of course someone with an ACT license is allowed to drive in NSW. Any restrictions by law must be followed. Any restrictions by license condition must be followed.

The restrictions on performance vehicles in NSW is a condition attached to your license. It's not a rule that widely applies.

As such, if you can drive the vehicle in your home state, on your home license, then you can drive it in NSW.

(Disclaimer: IANAL)

apparently, if you're in nsw for more than 3 months on an interstate licence, you must transfer your licence over to nsw then :((
That is true. You would need to maintain some sort of ACT address and go there periodically. Maintaining an interstate rego (e.g. to avoid a tax) is easier than maintaining an interstate license.

NSW would need to prove your guilt, as you're not really responsible for proving your innocence. Proving guilt could be getting easier though, if NSW decides to misuse automatic number plate recognition for light vehicles passing the Safe-T-Cam gantries (Bargo & Marulan) and the average speed cameras (Yarra to Collector). No such cameras exist if you travel via Bulli Pass-Nowra-Nerriga. Typically the other cameras use a flash & certainly won't flash everyone. But you just need to confidently state that the address on your license is the address you reside at.

One time a police officer pulled me over for an RBT and license check in Shellharbour. I was driving Uber there at the time. He asked if I still lived at Queanbeyan. I said yes. That was the end of the discussion. I could have shown him my Uber trip history showing a few trips closer to home a few days prior, but I wasn't asked to, and it's unlikely I ever would be, so...

(Disclaimer: IANAL & YMMV)

You'd better be sure you have considered the insurance implications. If you crash the car or it's stolen, and the insurance company feels you've misled them (especially if you installed their app on your phone - which may well track you via GPS), well..

Upvote 0
Of course someone with an ACT license is allowed to drive in NSW. Any restrictions by law must be followed. Any restrictions by license condition must be followed.

The restrictions on performance vehicles in NSW is a condition attached to your license. It's not a rule that widely applies.

As such, if you can drive the vehicle in your home state, on your home license, then you can drive it in NSW.

(Disclaimer: IANAL)

That is true. You would need to maintain some sort of ACT address and go there periodically. Maintaining an interstate rego (e.g. to avoid a tax) is easier than maintaining an interstate license.

NSW would need to prove your guilt, as you're not really responsible for proving your innocence. Proving guilt could be getting easier though, if NSW decides to misuse automatic number plate recognition for light vehicles passing the Safe-T-Cam gantries (Bargo & Marulan) and the average speed cameras (Yarra to Collector). No such cameras exist if you travel via Bulli Pass-Nowra-Nerriga. Typically the other cameras use a flash & certainly won't flash everyone. But you just need to confidently state that the address on your license is the address you reside at.

One time a police officer pulled me over for an RBT and license check in Shellharbour. I was driving Uber there at the time. He asked if I still lived at Queanbeyan. I said yes. That was the end of the discussion. I could have shown him my Uber trip history showing a few trips closer to home a few days prior, but I wasn't asked to, and it's unlikely I ever would be, so...

(Disclaimer: IANAL & YMMV)

You'd better be sure you have considered the insurance implications. If you crash the car or it's stolen, and the insurance company feels you've misled them (especially if you installed their app on your phone - which may well track you via GPS), well..
wow thank you so much for your prompt response! reallly appreciated :))

im a bit confused now as the prohibited car law is based on licence. in that case, say I have an ACT licence which allows me to drive the M3, will I be required to register the M3 in ACT or can i register it with NSW and drive it with my ACT licence in NSW.

sorry if this is a dumb question im kinda new to this whole thing

Upvote 0