Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla P85D at Consumer Reports breaks . . . Consumer Reports's rating system.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get the possible range anxiety still. It's not that hard to get to know how to plan a trip, but finding a place to charge when you get there may be hardest. The bigger issue we have had is that yes the SC are very well placed to get from point to point...but if you have any side trips (stopping at a friends, sight seeing, get routed the wrong way by the Tesla nav because you don't realize it's sending you to a charger very far away in the wrong overall direction...) I think there will be even more wide acceptance with about double the density of SCs there are now but off to the side highways off the main ones. Yes, there is Blink, etc. but they are slower. Being a little forward thinking, I can see a time where businesses might install their own SCs to capture business from a captive audience once critical mass of EV drivers are on the highway. Heard of Route 66?

I get the possible range anxiety still. It's not that hard to get to know how to plan a trip, but finding a place to charge when you get there may be hardest. The bigger issue we have had is that yes the SC are very well placed to get from point to point...but if you have any side trips (stopping at a friends, sight seeing, get routed the wrong way by the Tesla nav because you don't realize it's sending you to a charger very far away in the wrong overall direction...) I think there will be even more wide acceptance with about double the density of SCs there are now but off to the side highways off the main ones. Yes, there is Blink, etc. but they are slower. Being a little forward thinking, I can see a time where businesses might install their own SCs to capture business from a captive audience once critical mass of EV drivers are on the highway. Heard of Route 66?

I have thought of that same thing. Have a location convenient to a busy highway, put in fast chargers, then build a tourist trap an easy walk away to entertain people waiting for their cars to charge.

From that video posted above (the #76 one), 19:45 into it:
"Look - people who buy these car - they have another car. This isn't your primary car, because it's not a very good primary car. If you need to every once in a while take a long trip - I just took the family out west on some long trips - I'm going 100 miles before finding a good gas station or something, so I mean, yeah, no, electric cars are going to be a little iffy in that situation".
Unfortunately those CR guys still don't understand what it is like to live with a Tesla on a daily basis: how convenient home charging really is, and how the spread of the Supercharger network is making long distance travel amazingly easy. I have not found it difficult to find destinations that can provide a 220/240V outlet for overnight charging. My wife and I like to find places to stay on HomeAway: Vacation Rentals, Beach Houses, Cabins & More or similar, and I exchange emails with owners about my charging needs. I can always find places where I can charge.
I realize that there are still parts of the U.S. that are not well served by Superchargers but many areas are well covered, and the network continues to expand. I am in the final two days of a 3,200 mile trip in my S from California to Montana to Washington and back home and it has been ridiculously easy. A Tesla is the only way I want to do long distance driving, and my wife and I are already planning more traveling in our S!
When one of the CR guys said that he would buy an Audi R7 over a P85D, I wish he would try living with a Model S for a few months. Then he would change his mind.

Last edited:
It looks like Tesla fans might be killing Consumer Reports website. It's been down for more than 12 hours and there are people speculating it's because of the Tesla story.

I suspect it's because every headline with Tesla in it attracts a lot of traffic. But I am sad that they didn't really "get it" wrt. home charging, because it is almost the best thing about the Tesla.

Their acceleration and energy efficiency statements are based on their own data, compared to the other Model S they bought and tested a couple of years ago.

0-60mph in 3.5s matches what other P85D owners are getting when using the same no-rollout protocol. General consensus seems to be that 3.1s isn't achievable without 1' rollout.

Yes, nice to see that it is not only 60+ P85D owners (mainly from Europe) that cant get the car to do the advertised 0-100 km/h in 3,3 s (0-60mph in 3,1 s) but that also the hightly respected CR cant. Our best times are 3,7 - 3,8 s with is close to the 3,5 s for the 0-60 mph.

If anyone interested we have the topic here :

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...rs-world-wide-for-survey-and-complaint-letter

Br

Torben_E

The King of Them All

Tesla Family Story

First there was a Roadster

Roadster.jpg

Then came Model S

Model S.jpg

Two brothers had some good times roaming the jungle for a few years. They enjoyed the sunrise and sunset together and soaked in the abundant love around them...

R&S.jpg

These are R & S, watching sunset (?) or sunrise, not sure, but surely in loving embrace

As Model S grew, it developed some strange but special moods. It's mood was so strange that it was considered insane by many.

Then Model S developed even crazier mood, actually so crazy that it was considered to be ludicrous by some.

These crazy special moods were so crazy that the young Model S was crowned The Mighty King of Them All by a Consumer Report people.

After the crowning, Model S was captured by people's iphones taking its well-deserved victory lap. Images uploaded to youtube, instagram and below

vl1.jpg

Actually there were few victory laps, as Model S had to soak in that oooh so feeeeling on top of the world

VL.JPG

Whilst Model S is lapping around, its youngest brother Model X is just appearing

x.jpg

Model X roams around in secret

X ain't talking yet

Just wait to hear X roar

CR people ain't seen nothing yet

Forgot to put in a sound track

Last edited by a moderator:
So it looks like CR adopted their rating system to match how Telsa calculates HP...

I don't see any indication that CR tested HP. I think they just accepted Tesla's number, which is also the number that many are claiming Tesla never intended to be the horsepower number.

From the test write-up:

"The larger battery also comes with more powerful motors. While the two motors in the all-wheel-drive 70-kWh version put out a combined 328 hp, our rear-wheel-drive 85-kWh version makes 373 hp. The all-wheel-drive 85 kWh Model S produces 417 hp, while the top-of-the-line Model P85D puts out 691 hp through two motors, one each at the front and rear."

Last edited:
Consumer Reports calls latest Tesla best vehicle they've ever tested, right wing goes

Consumer Reports calls latest Tesla best vehicle they've ever tested, right wing goes nuts

Interesting article which analyzes the "right wing" press reaction to the Consumer Reports rating.
Mostly about the WSJ article:
"... Which is all great news! Well, unless you are conservative and have a bug up your ass about clean air and renewable fuels that would eliminate dependence on petroleum from regressive regimes and lessen the need for wars. For those people, Consumer Reports now has a liberal agenda to destroy freedom."

Good point by point refutation of the WSJ article.

The WSJ article was really bad, and deserved a refutation. But I'd rather see it done with more facts and fewer insults and assumptions about motivations.
Agree with that in principle, but it is owned by Rupert now, and his motivations seem to be pretty clear by now. I think the assumptions are reasonable, but assumptions all the same.

The WSJ article was really bad, and deserved a refutation. But I'd rather see it done with more facts and fewer insults and assumptions about motivations.
Are you referring to the WSJ insults and assumptions about motivations?

-Consumer Reports Spends Its Juice, Badly

-The product reviewer raves that a new Tesla ‘broke’ its rating system, but the real culprit is in the mirror.

-If, with their own money, Tesla and its customers want to revel in electric cars, that’s wonderful. Nobody should object. But why should taxpayers subsidize their hobby as if some vital public purpose is being served?

-And why should Consumer Reports prostitute itself in its latest review of the Tesla Model S P85D, calling it basically the best car ever, with a higher-than-possible rating of 103?

-Prostitute is not too strong a word.

-CR is shilling not only for the car but the government policies that subsidize it. Or as CR’s auto testing chief Jake Fisher says in an accompanying video, “At Consumer Reports, we believe improving fuel efficiency is a vital initiative.”

No, I am referring to the Daily Kos insults and assumptions.

I already said the WSJ piece was really bad; I think we all agree on that. That would have made a fact-based refutation easy; and it would have been far more likely to inform rather than provoke more arguments.

No, I am referring to the Daily Kos insults and assumptions.

I already said the WSJ piece was really bad; I think we all agree on that. That would have made a fact-based refutation easy; and it would have been far more likely to inform rather than provoke more arguments.

I agree, Daily Kos does a lot of preaching to the choir, just as some other outlets on the other side preach to their choir. I would rather see someone stick to the facts when refuting this sort of BS.

Yeah, I saw that. But until charging opportunities are ubiquitous, I kind of agree for those who have a one-car family who also like to take long trps. But I think those are few and far between.
Lemme amend that: if you're a one-car family who likes to take long trips, AND either (a) you take trips way out beyond the range of all charging (maybe in Saskatchewan), or (b) you like to take your long trips at a fast, breakneck, no-pauses-for-food pace, *then* the Model S is not for you.

I have taken long trips in Model S. You just have to be a "leisurely trip" kind of person.

- - - Updated - - -

I have thought of that same thing. Have a location convenient to a busy highway, put in fast chargers, then build a tourist trap an easy walk away to entertain people waiting for their cars to charge.
On my major road trip from upstate NY to Michigan via Canada, before the Superchargers were available, I charged at Niagara Falls. The time flew.