TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla Paint is the most delicate automobile paint I've ever seen

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Law&Disorder, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Law&Disorder

Law&Disorder Member

I don't even have a thousand miles on my multi-coat red P85D yet and I've already got scratches and swirls everywhere. I've never seen paint that was so fragile and I've not even done much highway driving yet. Yes, I'm going to get it all corrected and then Opticoated and XPELed but it seems like the car literally cannot be left parked without significant after-market paint protection. I really love my new Tesla, but the paint is incredibly disappointing. On a $130,000 car, it is inexcusable.

2. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

Are you washing it yourself? If not, that is probably the source. I hand wash mine and have not noticed any problems with the paint. I did get Xpel on the front after 6 months. Took it on a long road trip over several days and several hundred miles with only 2 small chips. Scratches and swirls suggest poor care with washing.

3. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I agree, it's unlikely you're getting scratches and swirls from being parked or driving it. That stuff happens when it's washed improperly. Hand wash only with good technique (two bucket, microfiber towels, etc.). Plenty of posts here about that if you're not sure, or also search You Tube for demonstration videos.

4. Law&Disorder

Law&Disorder Member

My Tesla is being handwashed by the same high-end detailing shop that has handwashed my Porches and BMWs for years. Never had this problem before. It's the paint.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

There's no doubt the paint is different from other cars and more easily damaged. Something about California environmental rules. Lots of old posts about this if you're interested-- but careful washing usually minimizes what you described.

6. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Pretty much. It's a little prone to swirling, but that can be mitigated if careful. You also have to factor in that you probably had your car a few weeks after it was painted. Those Porsches and BMWs had the benefit of all that additional transit time to to continue curing. My paint seemed to get substantially more durable after it was a month or two old.

I eventually got it Opticoated by Joe here in the Bay Area, but he essentially recommended trying not to wash it until I brought it in to help prevent damage before it had fully cured. Again, I don't know if that's still a best practice, but it sounds logical to me.

7. nh-srt8

nh-srt8 Member

I agree. 6 weeks old and this is an example of the scratches on the hood after the first handwash. image.jpg

8. Butcher

Butcher Member

Subarus are the same or worst, really thin and fragile. I wish I would have know before buying a dark blue car.

9. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

Unfortunately, it is the paint. Try putting tens of thousands of miles on it, and then cringe at the state of the hood. I'm trying to figure out now, if I get the hood repainted, should I have it wrapped or have Opticoat applied.

10. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

I gently hand-wash my car with microfiber cloths and it has scratches and swirls all over. Especially in mystery spots like just above the door handles! Tons of short vertical scratches above the door handles.

I agree, it's the paint. No getting around it. I wish Tesla sold the car with full XPEL included or something, from the factory.

11. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

You should see mine after 64,000 miles and 2 years :( Had a bird poop on it once, washed it off within 5 minutes. In that 5 minutes, permanent paint damage had already occurred. Spot is still their even after buffing and trying clay. Clay, is a really bad idea, as it scratched the living crap out of it even more. Yes I have done clay many many many times (Worked at Custom Body Shop). The paint JOB is AWESOME! The paint QUALITY is dismal at best.

12. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

There is a rumor floating around the Tesla will be using a new harder clear coat in the near future. Maybe part of the new modifications made to support changes when the X comes into the line but has nothing really to do with the X.

13. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

This is one of the reasons I chose Pearl White. It does a great job of hiding paint issues - after 16 months and 20k miles, still looking great. I use a two-bucket hand wash method with ONR.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The Tesla silver colored paint holds up very well. 18 months and 25K miles and it looks great. I wash with microfiber towels and Meguiars detail spray, sometimes use a car cleaner spray.

15. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

It'd be cool if Tesla offered "body-in-white" (read: raw factory aluminum) as a "color" option. Fully coated to the max in XPEL or equivalent.

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

According to Telsa, a new, state of the art, paint shop is in the works. Huge investment for the company, but necessary as volume ramps up.

No way to tell if that will result in a more scratch and chip resistant finish, but most certainly hope so.

17. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Do you guys seriously think Tesla uses an inferior paint.....give me a break!! If so, show me a hardness test to prove it.

18. tinm

tinm 2013 S85 Owner

Sure, but it doesn't really help the owners of the ~80K? Model S's already out on the road. :)

19. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I still think it is your place. Get it buffed out and try somewhere else or do it yourself.

20. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

I thought they already had a state of the art paint process/booth/shop/factory, etc.?