Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Paint Repair Kit - BEST Application Process Discovered!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2 weeks after taking delivery of my Multi Coat Red Model Y, I pulled my car into the garage nose first and opened the hatch. The hatch hit the garage door and I earned my first two chips right on the hatch lid. A couple weeks later, during a short weekend trip to Dallas, some mysterious road debris (that I never saw) smacked my driver door giving me a few small scratches.

I picked up the Tesla Paint Repair Kit (Paint Repair Kit) in hopes that I could fix the damage "good enough". I read the instructions and watched a few YouTube videos, and then went to town. I hated it. Apply the paint "next to" the chip? What?! Also, the "squeegee" is just...weird...and getting the blending solution close enough to the chip to remove the "extra paint" is just so frustrating.

Today I found a new application method which I think resulted in the FAR better results. So, throw out the squeegee and toss the blending solution.
  1. Start by applying the paint directly on the chip or scratch. Make sure you cover it completely. Don't go crazy though...a little goes a long way.
  2. Wait 30 minutes.
  3. After 30 minutes, the paint should be mostly dry. Get your favorite liquid wax and apply a small amount of wax with a microfiber towel. Slowly work the wax to the entire touched up area, and you'll notice it will start to blend all of the excess paint away without removing the paint applied to the chip. It takes some polishing, but it will work.
  4. Buff the wax off and enjoy!
It's still not perfect, but I think it gives the best application of the touch up paint without any excess paint. I can definitely still see my chips and scratches if I get close enough, but it's way better than messing with that stupid squeegee and blending solution.

I tried to take some pictures of my repair, but it was so good that I had trouble capturing a clear picture. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

I hear you! Same exact scenario. The hatch hit the garage door. Used the kit from Tesla. Was excited with the first application. It looked a little better. About 15 applications later, about the same. It's doable, but each application seems to add a micron, or a few molecules of paint, especially after you clean the area and wipe away most of the paint with the Blending Solution. Will definitely try your approach.

I hear you! Same exact scenario. The hatch hit the garage door. Used the kit from Tesla. Was excited with the first application. It looked a little better. About 15 applications later, about the same. It's doable, but each application seems to add a micron, or a few molecules of paint, especially after you clean the area and wipe away most of the paint with the Blending Solution. Will definitely try your approach.
The default instructions are so unnecessarily complicated. The squeegee is by far the dumbest tool in the box.

I knew there had to be a better process. Let me know how yours turns out.

Reactions: GregW
What color is your car/touch up paint? Same thing happened with my Y hatch hitting the garage door. I'm torn between paying $700+ to get the tiny chip professionally fixed -- I hate the idea of them taking the entire rear apart to repaint the hatch, i.e., emblem, rear lights, etc., trying touch up paint, or just putting a spoiler on to cover it though it sounds like there have been problems with proper fit with spoilers. My car is midnight silver metallic.

hmmm - the VERY FIRST thing I did when I got mine was to limit the height of the tailgate opening because I saw the demo models were all dinged up

IIRC, open the lift gate and manually adjust it to the height you want, then press the close button for 3 seconds until you hear a beep

You'll bang your head on it, but that's easily repairable!

2 weeks after taking delivery of my Multi Coat Red Model Y, I pulled my car into the garage nose first and opened the hatch. The hatch hit the garage door and I earned my first two chips right on the hatch lid. A couple weeks later, during a short weekend trip to Dallas, some mysterious road debris (that I never saw) smacked my driver door giving me a few small scratches.

I picked up the Tesla Paint Repair Kit (Paint Repair Kit) in hopes that I could fix the damage "good enough". I read the instructions and watched a few YouTube videos, and then went to town. I hated it. Apply the paint "next to" the chip? What?! Also, the "squeegee" is just...weird...and getting the blending solution close enough to the chip to remove the "extra paint" is just so frustrating.

Today I found a new application method which I think resulted in the FAR better results. So, throw out the squeegee and toss the blending solution.
  1. Start by applying the paint directly on the chip or scratch. Make sure you cover it completely. Don't go crazy though...a little goes a long way.
  2. Wait 30 minutes.
  3. After 30 minutes, the paint should be mostly dry. Get your favorite liquid wax and apply a small amount of wax with a microfiber towel. Slowly work the wax to the entire touched up area, and you'll notice it will start to blend all of the excess paint away without removing the paint applied to the chip. It takes some polishing, but it will work.
  4. Buff the wax off and enjoy!
It's still not perfect, but I think it gives the best application of the touch up paint without any excess paint. I can definitely still see my chips and scratches if I get close enough, but it's way better than messing with that stupid squeegee and blending solution.

I tried to take some pictures of my repair, but it was so good that I had trouble capturing a clear picture. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!
I am doing this right now. Thank you!