TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Paint Repair Kit results

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by shred86, Jan 13, 2019.

1. shred86

shred86 Member

#1 shred86, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    I have a few rock chips on my Model S and decided to give Tesla's Paint Repair Kit a shot. It's basically a re-packaged Dr. Colorchip kit. I followed the instructional video steps on the product page with some minor adjustments. The rock chip and surrounding area was cleaned with alcohol and I also used the squeegee instead of my finger to push the paint over the rock chip. I tried using my finger the first couple times (as instructed in the video) but had better results with the squeegee. Like the video shows, I put a small amount next to the chip and then used the squeegee with very light pressure to push the paint over the chip. From there, I wiped the excess paint off the squeegee on the back of my latex gloves (don't use a paper towel) then used the squeegee again to push the excess paint away from the rock chip area (less paint to remove in the next step). After about 5-10 minutes, I used the blending solution to very lightly wipe the excess paint off. Repeated this process three times and it looked pretty good, but since the paint is only good for about a year and I'm not sure if I'll ever use it again, I decided to go over it again a couple more times the next day. Here are the results:

Rock chip: https://i.imgur.com/XuRKXVJ.jpg
    3 passes: https://i.imgur.com/Y5VJqY8.jpg
    5 passes: https://i.imgur.com/W470pZT.jpg
    One feet away: https://i.imgur.com/JRo2H6I.jpg

Overall, I'm happy with the results and from >1 feet away, it's very difficult to see the rock chip. The recommendation from Dr. Colorchip is to let it fully cure for a week before applying any product on top of it, so I'm planning on applying a coat of JetSeal (Chemical Guys) after a week or so.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  2. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Do you have the plain white or PWMC? Touch up work on my car does not look as good as yours. I will wait until I have about 10 chips and then just go to a body shop.

Attached Files:

3. shred86

shred86 Member

Plain white, which is probably the easiest to work with of all the colors.

4. JoeMartin

JoeMartin Member

Can't speak for pearl white, but I used the touch up kit on Midnight Silver Metallic and it's a perfect match. I'll try to take some pictures later today if I remember.
    Metallics tend to suffer the same matching issues that pearls do.

5. aerodyne

aerodyne Member

Wish I had the plain white. Old car has that, 10 years since the last wax/cleaning, came back like new. The Tesla will not be parked outside!

6. mrjedistud

mrjedistud Member

Thanks for the post. I saw the kit on the site and wondered how good it was.

7. IMCDC5

IMCDC5 Member

8. AutoElegance

AutoElegance Local Vendor - New England

Dr. Colorchip is great! we use it often to help customers with rock chips. it is a great alternative to painting an entire panel and getting into body work etc.

9. FMinMI

FMinMI Member

What is the blending solution? Is it a paint solvent? What does the MSDS say?

Thanks