Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Panels - Downloading Generation Data, How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you who are connected into the Tesla ecosystem with their panels, how do you get your hands on the hourly generation data? From my research, it sounds like they primarily use two types of inverters (Delta Solivia and SolarEdge, maybe more) though I'm having trouble figuring out the criteria to use one versus another in the design/install phase.

In any case, it sounds like SolarEdge has a pretty neat online portal (which can be automatically imported into PVOutput.org). For those of you with Tesla Energy installs using the SolarEdge inverter, are you able to download your generation data and/or hook it into PVOutput.org?

For those of you with Tesla Energy installs using the Delta inverter, are you able to do the same thing? From doing some digging, it seems like Delta Solivia has a monitoring component but I'm unclear whether it's accessible via the set up from Tesla. It doesn't seem like PVOutput.org currently recognizes Delta inverts for their auto upload functionality.

When I had asked the Tesla Energy advisor about how to download the generation data, the response was that it was available via the Tesla app. Obviously, this is not a good solution as it requires manually recording this data versus it being in a downloadable format, so I'm hoping those who have come before me could provide some advice. I understand the MySolarCity.com site has a web portal that may show this type of data but I'm not sure how much of it is downloadable or whether it's even still available for new installs with the transition into Tesla Energy.

I have yet to sign any contracts so I'm trying to see whether I can negotiate for more "data accessible" equipment.

Thanks in advance!

https://mysolarcity.com/solarcity-a...ndTime=2019-01-16T23:59:59&Period=QuarterHour

This is the link it gives when I asked to download data. I can't decipher what it means yet but maybe you can.
Even though I can't view the data (because it's properly protected), thanks for sharing that it is at least possible to download the data. I guess I need to figure out whether I will have access to the MySolarCity.com site since almost everything SolarCity-branded in this process seems to be transitioned to Tesla, but perhaps that site is still accessible for me since it doesn't seem to exist on Tesla.com yet. My advisor didn't seem to be able to provide me with a clear, direct answer on it when asked.

If you have a Powerwall installed, you would be able to send the data to pvoutput.org via the gateway.

As of now, I'm not planning a Powerwall (finances don't quite make sense yet, especially with being too late for SGIP) but how do you connect it to pvoutout.org via the gateway?

. I guess I need to figure out whether I will have access to the MySolarCity.com site since almost everything SolarCity-branded in this process seems to be transitioned to Tesla,

You should still get it. It has also been rebranded too. There is a download CSV option that should give you some ability to view your data.

20190116_094746.jpg

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can still assist. I recently install Tesla Solar. i went with the default option i.e. Delta inverter (well, i didnt know i could ask them to install SolarEdge). in any case, I am trying to do the same which is have pvoutput auto read the data from Tesla Delta inverter. any idea?

I know this is an old thread but hoping someone can still assist. I recently install Tesla Solar. i went with the default option i.e. Delta inverter (well, i didnt know i could ask them to install SolarEdge). in any case, I am trying to do the same which is have pvoutput auto read the data from Tesla Delta inverter. any idea?

It looks like it might be complicated. I assume Delta doesn't have internet monitoring by default? See here: runesl/DeltaPVOutput

It looks like it might be complicated. I assume Delta doesn't have internet monitoring by default? See here: runesl/DeltaPVOutput

Unfortunately it seems to be much more complicated than that, at least if your Tesla Delta unit is a Solivia with Zigbee like mine is (has a "MAC" label under the Solivia tag on the side of the unit). On the inside these look completely different than what Delta shows in their manual for the US units, and instead of the RS485 connectors there's only the XBee radio. I'm starting to analyze the data sent between these inverters and the SolarCity Home Gateway (GWY10 in my case), but it's already become clear that what is sent over Zigbee is very different than what comes out of other Delta inverters on RS485 (though for that matter the threads I saw suggested that the split-phase inverter's output was very different than the 3-phase that more people have decoded online). I haven't given up yet, but it's going to take a lot of work to sort out. From what I have decoded so far there is at least the inverter AC-amps out and the watts for the two MPPTs, but I was also hoping it would report the other things you can view on the inverter's display such as volts & amps on the MPPTs, daily output summaries, etc. At least the queries the GWY10 issues don't seem to have this data in their responses.

I should also note that now that the Tesla app can show historical data, it seems some have figured out the web API to pull data from the same source the app does. I don't know that anyone has made something that specifically pulls the data from Tesla and pushes it to PVOutput, but it should be possible. I upload my data to PVOutput per the link in my signature, but right now that's pulled from the Tesla Energy Gateway's API (the controller that comes with the Powerwall 2), so if you're purely solar that wouldn't help. And so far I'm still doing it somewhat manually, I run a script after midnight which produces a .csv file from the last day's worth of captured TEG output, then I upload that file to PVOutput. I do intend to automate it one of these days (and to add the PW data not just solar & house consumption), but I'd really like to get per-MPPT output from the inverters also.

Last edited: