Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Panels/Powerwall & EV integration information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to google to learn about this Tesla Integration if you have both panels/powerwall and an EV. I have a full solar system & powerwall (only 1 boohoo), getting a Model 3. I've read in various threads about integration so you can have the charger run to the backed up side, want to learn, but my google-fu is failing me.

What terms should I search on to learn about this?

Trying to google to learn about this Tesla Integration if you have both panels/powerwall and an EV. I have a full solar system & powerwall (only 1 boohoo), getting a Model 3. I've read in various threads about integration so you can have the charger run to the backed up side, want to learn, but my google-fu is failing me.

This doesn't directly answer your question, but this is from Tesla's support documentation:

Bruce.

Reactions: MrVivekB
This doesn't directly answer your question, but this is from Tesla's support documentation:

Bruce.
oh that's helpful, thanks! I'll see if I can find any youtube using some of those words.

Reactions: bmah

What is it you want to know? The cliff notes version is, if you have a tesla vehicle, and an outlet on the backed up loads side, the car will not drain your powerwall past the amount you set if you are off grid.

"Sending excess solar to the vehicle" happens when OFF GRID. You can take yourself off grid with the new version of the tesla app, but, currently, you can not send extra solar generation only to the vehicle (instead of the grid), with the car only taking the "extra" solar, unless you are disconnected from the grid.

Note that all of the "off grid" mention above, is ment to signify that the connection to the grid is disconnected via the physical breaker, or the app setting, or by a utility outage. It does not mean the system is not grid tied at all,

What is it you want to know? The cliff notes version is, if you have a tesla vehicle, and an outlet on the backed up loads side, the car will not drain your powerwall past the amount you set if you are off grid.

"Sending excess solar to the vehicle" happens when OFF GRID. You can take yourself off grid with the new version of the tesla app, but, currently, you can not send extra solar generation only to the vehicle (instead of the grid), with the car only taking the "extra" solar, unless you are disconnected from the grid.

Note that all of the "off grid" mention above, is ment to signify that the connection to the grid is disconnected via the physical breaker, or the app setting, or by a utility outage. It does not mean the system is not grid tied at all,

Thanks, super useful, that was 90% of it. Only other question would be whether there are any other options other than grid status. IE, right now I have no EV so I manually set to at 40% reserves in the summer, 90% in the winter (given far lower production). If the only option is grid status I'd likely up those numbers to (60/100?).

I was hoping to find someone who had youtube'd it to see how it works but that's nice-to-have. I'm happy to record a YouTube myself in 2-3 months once the car is here and I've had it long enough where I don't come off like a chump, I'd have to figure out what to title the video :)

Thanks, super useful, that was 90% of it. Only other question would be whether there are any other options other than grid status. IE, right now I have no EV so I manually set to at 40% reserves in the summer, 90% in the winter (given far lower production). If the only option is grid status I'd likely up those numbers to (60/100?).

I was hoping to find someone who had youtube'd it to see how it works but that's nice-to-have. I'm happy to record a YouTube myself in 2-3 months once the car is here and I've had it long enough where I don't come off like a chump, I'd have to figure out what to title the video :)

If you mean are there other options for vehicle charging integration other than grid status, not currently, no. Its one slider where you set a percentage the car will be allowed to drain the powerwalls to, during an outage. Thats the only setting in the app.