Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla panels vs SunPower? Warranty / efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SunPower and some other companies seem to have better panel efficiency ratings, longevity, and warranty vs Tesla. Any experiences with these others? Newly researching solar and not sure which way to go.

SunPower and some other companies seem to have better panel efficiency ratings, longevity, and warranty vs Tesla. Any experiences with these others? Newly researching solar and not sure which way to go.

Yes, SP panels have a superior warranty and they are more efficient than the panels Tesla is currently using. They are definitely pricier, but, you don’t get what you don’t pay for. If you are planning to be in your house for a long time, the premium could well be worth the extra $ as the lifetime power (KWH of electricity produced over the life of the panels) will be more than that of the panels from Tesla. Another advantage of the SP panels is fewer panels for a given system size. SunPower warranty’s cover the whole system as well so it’s single point warranty issue solves.

Many SunPower installers are also certified PW installers as well.

Cheers!

Yes, SP panels have a superior warranty and they are more efficient than the panels Tesla is currently using. They are definitely pricier, but, you don’t get what you don’t pay for. If you are planning to be in your house for a long time, the premium could well be worth the extra $ as the lifetime power (KWH of electricity produced over the life of the panels) will be more than that of the panels from Tesla. Another advantage of the SP panels is fewer panels for a given system size. SunPower warranty’s cover the whole system as well so it’s single point warranty issue solves.

Cheers!
Thanks!!!

Cheers!

I would say the SP panels ARE worth the premium. In my area the Tesla installs have been problematic, with multiple inverter failures and wiring problems. SunPower also charged me a very small nominal fee to put all the conduit in the wall (important aesthetic consideration on a brand new house), something Tesla would not even consider.

The Tesla solar installs just have not impressed me (totally different from my Powerwalls, which are GREAT and installed very professionally).

SunPower has been known to wheel and deal more recently than they have in the past. If you get multiple quotes, you can get them down to a far more reasonable price per watt.