TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Panoramic View Monitor

Discussion in 'Model S' started by PluggedINLife, Jun 12, 2017.

1. PluggedINLife

PluggedINLife Member

My wife has a Lexus rx350 and she has a panoramic view monitor that shows an Ariel 360 view when you put the car in reverse in addition to backup monitor. It uses one camera in front of the car, one located under each rear view mirror, and the reverse camera. With a Tesla having more cameras has anyone heard if this is a feature that can or will be added to a Tesla?

2. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

The cameras on the Tesla are designed/aimed/pointed to enable autopilot & FSD. AFAIK you'd need different camera alignment (and perhaps even different style lenses?) to get that 360 overhead view

Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE it. It's the one of the few things i miss from our other cars....

• Like x 1
  3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

It is not possible because there is no camera right by the front. The front camera is mounted high over the windshield which means things right in front of the bumper wil not be visible.

4. JonG

JonG Member

It can't be done and is why the self parking feature damages alloys on a regular basis - it's guessing where the curb is based on other parked cars.

5. Burnt Toast

Burnt Toast Member

I loved The Little Mermaid too.

• Funny x 2
  6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It probably can be done, although I've never understood the point of these 360 systems.
    Mainly, what's the benefit of the front camera? Arent you already looking forwards?! :)
    The rear camera though, that should be as mandatory as airbags. It's tragic some cars still skimp on this.

7. JonG

JonG Member

They don't all have the front camera, the BMWs I've owned haven't., but they are useful even if it's just to help judge the white lines, etc. I can park, but still found occasions when it helped.

But the tesla cameras aren't looking downward and these systems usually have a camera on the bottom of the wing mirrors doing just that. The Tesla cameras also focus down the road which is why I guess they're having trouble getting auto wipers to work as the cameras are probably designed (through aperture size, focal length etc) not to pick up marks on the glass to make them more reliable.

• Like x 1
  8. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

In cars that do this, it allows you to see, for example, if there is a child or a dog or a brick in front of your car. It is also good for folks who have a tough time judging exactly where the front of the car is.

Elon stated recently (perhaps a month ago) that they are looking at this and may implement it. It will have issues as there is no ideally positioned front camera. Maybe he means another camera. Maybe he means a computer manipulated front image based on what the front camera was able to see about the very front of the car when the car was not yet there. Maybe the car will decline to display what's in the very front of the car if it has been too long since the car saw that spot. I saw a demo of this feature on other cars, though, and it looks good.

9. MorrisonHiker

MorrisonHiker S 90D 2017.28 c528869

Cool! ;)
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 1
  10. AMPUP

AMPUP Member

Artsci had a system retrofitted to his S to do this.

Funny story, my friend purchased a infinity SUV and the saleswoman was taking about it during the sale. To quote ' when you put it in reverse you get a live satellite view of the car from space that helps you park' . She was serious too...

• Funny x 5
  11. derekmw

derekmw Member

My wife's JX35 Infiniti has this, and it's been a very useful feature INCLUDING the front and side cameras. As some have mentioned, when parking in a parking lot, you can easily see where the car is between the two lines.

When my wife is pulling into the garage (next to my MS), she can switch the camera to view the right side of the car. This way she can see how close she is getting to my car since our garage is tight.

For the front camera, on an SUV, it's hard to see where the front of the bumper is, so she can switch to the front camera mode and see just how close she is pulling up against something. She can literally park up to an inch or so from an object using this camera.

I think it's such a useful feature, i feel she will sorely miss it once we get rid of this car.

12. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

For things like a garage wall, etc, it's not really an issue, because the ultrasonic sensors can tell how far it is just fine. This feature would only really be useful for short or thin objects(like a curb or a small pipe) that the ultrasonics can't pick up.

13. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

It will be in the US starting next year, it's been phasing in over the last couple years.

Man, I would've loved to ask what happens on a cloudy day...

14. derekmw

derekmw Member

And that's exactly when it's great and when she uses it the most. Garages tend to be cluttered. Or when you're parking in a space that doesn't have a flat wall but say bushes or other items. A camera up front gives you great visibility. Another thing i forgot to mention is the use of the side camera for curb parking. I know the MS tilts the right mirror down (and other models do this too), but I find the right camera option so much nicer when parking close to the curb and avoiding scratching the wheels.

Or when you're in a parking structure. lol

• Funny x 1