Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Part-Exchange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We ordered a M3P in February and were hoping to pick it up in March, that’s now been pushed to June. A car of identical spec has now appeared in the inventory and we would love to progress with that one, but the only issue is that we need to sell our existing car first. We were originally going to go with WBAC who offered us £19,500, but that quote has now changed to £11,500 thanks to our friend Covid-19, and there is no chance of selling privately before the car disappears.

We have arranged the finance with Blackhorse already, do you think it would be possible to set up a part ex with Tesla now and rearrange finance? What are people’s experiences of Tesla P/X and their offers compared to WBAC, are their prices likely to have reduced too? Thanks.

We ordered a M3P in February and were hoping to pick it up in March, that’s now been pushed to June. A car of identical spec has now appeared in the inventory and we would love to progress with that one, but the only issue is that we need to sell our existing car first. We were originally going to go with WBAC who offered us £19,500, but that quote has now changed to £11,500 thanks to our friend Covid-19, and there is no chance of selling privately before the car disappears.

We have arranged the finance with Blackhorse already, do you think it would be possible to set up a part ex with Tesla now and rearrange finance? What are people’s experiences of Tesla P/X and their offers compared to WBAC, are their prices likely to have reduced too? Thanks.

I don't have any experience of it unfortunately but possible thought process:

If Tesla also only gave you £11,500, and therefore your monthly finance repayments went up (I guess quite a bit with that difference in value), can you still afford it? If so, then you should go for it and there's only upside if you get more from Tesla?

I don't have any experience of it unfortunately but possible thought process:

If Tesla also only gave you £11,500, and therefore your monthly finance repayments went up (I guess quite a bit with that difference in value), can you still afford it? If so, then you should go for it and there's only upside if you get more from Tesla?
Yes it still keeps us in the positive, just a hard pill to swallow!

From what I understood WBAC is often the basis of part exchange offers from Tesla, only often "less than" as Tesla only sell them straight on and know what happens to any WBAC quote once you are actually doing the deal. No one will be going to auctions or going out shopping for cars unless they absolutely have to so the whole market is going to be rubbish for a while. Your problem will be the switching car element, I reckon the best thing to do is see if you can get hold of anyone at Tesla and see if they'll swing your part ex offer to an inventory car, can't be any harm in asking...

Reactions: Harv3y

You can add in a trade in after you initial order, just phone their delivery line and request a trade in price, the prices have previously always been lower than WBAC but in this case it could be different so worth a try and also you don't have to accept the quote.

From what I understood WBAC is often the basis of part exchange offers from Tesla, only often "less than" as Tesla only sell them straight on and know what happens to any WBAC quote once you are actually doing the deal.

Not quite, but nearly :). Tesla don’t sell them on, they simple get a price from the auction houses and pass the best on to you. They don’t inspect the car and couldn’t care less about it, which does make the process painless - unlike the WBAC experience. I’ve never p/x’d to Tesla but that’s the experience of many owners that have posted.

Not quite, but nearly :). Tesla don’t sell them on, they simple get a price from the auction houses and pass the best on to you. They don’t inspect the car and couldn’t care less about it, which does make the process painless - unlike the WBAC experience. I’ve never p/x’d to Tesla but that’s the experience of many owners that have posted.
So if they don't sell them on what do they do with them?