Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla parts made in China

Ulmo

Jan 19, 2016
Vienna Woods, Aptos, California
Tesla parts are made in China, including computer parts. That means Chinese could hack any of those computer parts. I don't know what parts they have access to now. From Tesla suppliers start to see higher volumes from Model 3 production ramp up:
“Suppliers for the electric vehicle maker’s more affordable sedan have started seeing increased orders, the research firm said in a note to clients. SAS Automotive, a German cockpit manufacturer and assembler with one plant in California, ordered 20,000 display screens for the Model 3 in May, and 10,000 in June from a sole producer in China, according to the research firm.”
We have to assume that any computer part is hacked already, and could be taken over for any purpose, including killing occupants or other people on the road. The exception would be any part made in-house by teams that are not infiltrated and doesn't contain any subordinate parts made elsewhere. These days, that's very hard.

I think this problem affects most if not all modern car manufacturers. I don't think any of them care enough to fix it directly; I think they just assume it's not their problem, and consider it something that doesn't materially affect their financials.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
Yep, I for one am moving to my cabin in the woods. Gonna ditch everything electronic and live off the land!

On a related note, anyone see the most recent Boston Dynamics stuff? Gonna be terrifying when they get hacked!

cmaster

Dec 4, 2014
United States
Don't buy any electronics from China (also take caution of EBAY as well).

You think just buying a Logitech Web Cam from Ebay is cheap. The firmware on it is flashed with some Chinese signature, but, you can still install legit drivers on it. This would make you think it's a legit product. They could very well spy on you.

I would be vary of anything from China that has software flashed on it.

Derek Kessler

Apr 15, 2016
Cincinnati
Basically every phone that's not made by Samsung or LG was made in China. Many of the Qualcomm chips used in nearly every mid-to-high-end phone are many in Taiwan, which China will tell you is most definitely China.

I can guarantee that the computer board for every appliance in your house was made in China.

Is it a concern that state actors could be building back doors into hardware or software? Yeah, is a concern. A very very very verrrrrry small one.

Verification: the design of the hardware, firmware, and installed software is verified as it's manufactured and on delivery by customer employees. Any deviance from the expected results would be immediately flagged.

Trust: The Chinese government is no doubt a serious cyber actor. But their goal is not to show mischief or chaos. Instead Chinese hacking activities are geared towards gathering data and stealing intellectual property. Their goal is to enhance the knowledge and capabilities of Chinese manufacturers and grow as an economic powerhouse. That requires that we be able to trust Chinese goods to be safe.

Don't be an idiot. China doesn't want to kill you. They want your money.

jelloslug

Jul 21, 2015
Greenville, SC
Tesla parts are made in China, including computer parts. That means Chinese could hack any of those computer parts. I don't know what parts they have access to now. From Tesla suppliers start to see higher volumes from Model 3 production ramp up:
We have to assume that any computer part is hacked already, and could be taken over for any purpose, including killing occupants or other people on the road. The exception would be any part made in-house by teams that are not infiltrated and doesn't contain any subordinate parts made elsewhere. These days, that's very hard.

I think this problem affects most if not all modern car manufacturers. I don't think any of them care enough to fix it directly; I think they just assume it's not their problem, and consider it something that doesn't materially affect their financials.
pzv5j7l.jpg

cmaster

Dec 4, 2014
United States
Those electronics are protected by international laws.

Just would like to clarify that eBay items sold are not necessarily in that frame. You are correct China just wants our money.

Basically every phone that's not made by Samsung or LG was made in China. Many of the Qualcomm chips used in nearly every mid-to-high-end phone are many in Taiwan, which China will tell you is most definitely China.

I can guarantee that the computer board for every appliance in your house was made in China.

Is it a concern that state actors could be building back doors into hardware or software? Yeah, is a concern. A very very very verrrrrry small one.

Verification: the design of the hardware, firmware, and installed software is verified as it's manufactured and on delivery by customer employees. Any deviance from the expected results would be immediately flagged.

Trust: The Chinese government is no doubt a serious cyber actor. But their goal is not to show mischief or chaos. Instead Chinese hacking activities are geared towards gathering data and stealing intellectual property. Their goal is to enhance the knowledge and capabilities of Chinese manufacturers and grow as an economic powerhouse. That requires that we be able to trust Chinese goods to be safe.

Don't be an idiot. China doesn't want to kill you. They want your money.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC