TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla parts made in China

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by Ulmo, May 10, 2018.

1. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

Tesla parts are made in China, including computer parts. That means Chinese could hack any of those computer parts. I don't know what parts they have access to now. From Tesla suppliers start to see higher volumes from Model 3 production ramp up:
    We have to assume that any computer part is hacked already, and could be taken over for any purpose, including killing occupants or other people on the road. The exception would be any part made in-house by teams that are not infiltrated and doesn't contain any subordinate parts made elsewhere. These days, that's very hard.

I think this problem affects most if not all modern car manufacturers. I don't think any of them care enough to fix it directly; I think they just assume it's not their problem, and consider it something that doesn't materially affect their financials.

• Funny x 5
  2. bayarea_joe

bayarea_joe Member

#2 bayarea_joe, May 10, 2018
    Last edited: May 10, 2018
    I think they got you too

3. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Yep, I for one am moving to my cabin in the woods. Gonna ditch everything electronic and live off the land!

On a related note, anyone see the most recent Boston Dynamics stuff? Gonna be terrifying when they get hacked!

4. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

I believe they maybe hacking the tires too. Expect to see other cars with the same tires soon

5. cmaster

cmaster Member

Don't buy any electronics from China (also take caution of EBAY as well).

You think just buying a Logitech Web Cam from Ebay is cheap. The firmware on it is flashed with some Chinese signature, but, you can still install legit drivers on it. This would make you think it's a legit product. They could very well spy on you.

I would be vary of anything from China that has software flashed on it.

6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Basically every phone that's not made by Samsung or LG was made in China. Many of the Qualcomm chips used in nearly every mid-to-high-end phone are many in Taiwan, which China will tell you is most definitely China.

I can guarantee that the computer board for every appliance in your house was made in China.

Is it a concern that state actors could be building back doors into hardware or software? Yeah, is a concern. A very very very verrrrrry small one.

Verification: the design of the hardware, firmware, and installed software is verified as it's manufactured and on delivery by customer employees. Any deviance from the expected results would be immediately flagged.

Trust: The Chinese government is no doubt a serious cyber actor. But their goal is not to show mischief or chaos. Instead Chinese hacking activities are geared towards gathering data and stealing intellectual property. Their goal is to enhance the knowledge and capabilities of Chinese manufacturers and grow as an economic powerhouse. That requires that we be able to trust Chinese goods to be safe.

Don't be an idiot. China doesn't want to kill you. They want your money.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

[​IMG]

8. cmaster

cmaster Member

Those electronics are protected by international laws.

Just would like to clarify that eBay items sold are not necessarily in that frame. You are correct China just wants our money.

• Disagree x 1
  9. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

I totally agree with the text in the image, but have no idea who those people are, or why it matters?

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

Esurance commercial

It's their "built for the Internet age" marketing.