Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Patent Hints at Automated Turn Signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A new patent filing suggests Tesla plans to offer an automated turn signaling feature.

The patent filing describes a system that leverages the car’s cameras, radar, and ultrasonic sensors to activate turn signals without human input.

The filing description says:

This disclosure discloses various vehicle technologies for automatically activating a turn signal when a vehicle is turning or changing lanes based on analysis of data, which can include data from an image capture device, radar, a steering angle sensor, and an ultrasonic sensor. This disclosure also contemplates that a decision to automatically activate a turn signal in a vehicle that is turning or changing lanes may take into account whether other vehicles or pedestrians are in vicinity thereof and whether those other vehicles or pedestrians would benefit from the turn signal being activated.

Automated Turn Signaling would be just one more step further toward fully removing human intervention from the driving experience. It makes sense that we would eventually see it offered as part of Autopilot and Tesla’s Full Self-Driving suite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not clear what Level Autonomy here. I see this as obvious in a L4 or L5 car. What's next, automatic 4WD on rough terrain. Isn't this all a given whenever the car decides for itself? If not, there's a whole host of inventions waiting to be trolled upon. Better snatch them up Tesla!

This is not related to autonomy much. It is a driver's aid.

Oh, you're right, I didn't see the link to WIPO. Interesting, they're including ICE cars too. I smell royalties. Would be a good feature at night especially.

Another good one... when I turn on my signals and people don't let me in (and even close the gap rudely), I swerve really quickly then watch. They always back off!

Can I have that as part of this invention - "Auto swerve on lane changes"? Works every time, especially if you're towing something.

Great.

Turn signals are supposed to provide advance notice. A pet peeve are those drivers who wait until they're already turning the wheel and just lazily engage the turned signal as the wheel passes the arm. That's not enough of a warning. I can see that your car is turning at that point!

Seems like Tesla's patent can only indicate the obvious.

If they could actually provide advance notice of a turn, that would be really helpful to the other (human) drivers.

Reactions: zmarty
The Tesla new computer gadget only shall cost electricity, so again reducing the mileage, the same as using the air-conditioning or heater, windscreen wipers,making it so never to reach the 360 mile driving as advertised, have tested other electric and hybrids which have the same problems, after having talked to owners of those kind of vehicles, never reaching the recommended mileage. Elon Musk has tried to solve that problem by trying to use gearing, but miserable failed in doing so has to invent other computer gadgets to keep interest for his cars, plus that TESLA cars don't save air-pollution either, only transfer the exhaust gas expulsion to the fossil fuel burning power stations
I have developed a system for electric propelled cars utilising automatic gearing, extending the use of the electrical battery energy, plus that the car recharges energy back into the battery bank when driving along, so that my developed system for electric cars shall make them drive the same distance as internal combustion engine driven cars, 500 to 600 mile, before having to recharge. At the moment developing a secondary recharging system, for while the car is driving, an extra battery bank to be recharged as a hybrid assistance, when not having reached a charging station, so extra mileage is required. This system specifically for Third world countries which can't afford the layout of extensive networks of charging stations
Having tried to interest other electric car developers, who are so self centred that they don't have the decency to acknowledge receiving their emails
I am looking for a Sponsor to carry on with the further development, and produce a longer distance driving and more environmentally automobile for the future

• Disagree
Reactions: Hank42
The Tesla new computer gadget only shall cost electricity, so again reducing the mileage, the same as using the air-conditioning or heater, windscreen wipers,making it so never to reach the 360 mile driving as advertised, have tested other electric and hybrids which have the same problems, after having talked to owners of those kind of vehicles, never reaching the recommended mileage.

Another way to save on energy is to stop breathing. Just sayin'

The indicators will turn on as you are turning or changing lanes.
They are called indicators, i.e they indicate your intention to turn or change lane. They are not called Doers i.e I'm doing this so watch out.
I see many drivers approach a turn, slow down, put on the brakes and then the indicators as they are turning. Pointless! The people behind you have already worked out you are turning.
You should indicate well before you initiate a turn or a lane change to give the people behind time to adjust to your intention.

Pointless update i.m.h.o.