TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla patents

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by TEG, Jan 22, 2008.

1. aeroscott

aeroscott Member

I would love to see the drawing ,looking the sight over and reading the description no drawing.

2. aeroscott

aeroscott Member

patents

Teg , great finds .I spent a couple of hours today at the patent repository . The librarian there showed me to the U S Patent main page , We can read patent applications, patents and with a free download of T I F F view the drawings .BTW it seams that there are draconian changes like very old ideas being re patented.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

aeroscott wrote:
    "...are draconian changes like very old ideas being re patented."

What do you mean? Are there any writeups about this?

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I took it to mean that aeroscott was browsing all sorts of patents (not just ones from Tesla) and ran across many that seemed like "obvious and old ideas". The reality is that it can still be patented if no one bothered to patent it before, and also if you have some sort of novel twist on an old idea you can patent that too. It can be frustrating looking at patents.

One example I saw once was a patent for a laser pointer as a cat exercise toy. This was after plenty of people had been using them that way for a while.

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#7 vfx, Jan 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2008
  6. aeroscott

aeroscott Member

patents

teg, thats what i was thinking .vfx,great find on patent down load site. i needed that.i can't remember any write ups on patent changes except on tv about now being able to patent life! But talking with people that have gone threw the patent process and my observations. A old motor builder friend said that patent apps are now granted with little scrutiny,let them sort it out in court! btw just spent a few days reading about a open source 100 kw 3 phase motor controller. this is something I wanted to do for 28 years.parts cost 2500.00, laptop programed,

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Patents

Amost certainly. I think the coolant "snakes" its way through the ESS, and those external tubes join a chain of internal tubes.

[​IMG]

8. billarnett

billarnett Member

TEG, where did you get that diagram? I want to see more!

9. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

10. DaveD

DaveD EVs Kick Gas!

#13 DaveD, Nov 15, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
    Searching patent applications at uspto.gov , I see this interesting one, but maybe it's been mentioned here before?

Note that the primary inventor is Peng Zhou, recently in the news and departed from Tesla.

11. graham

graham Active Member

Oh! From the patent:
    Very interesting!

Well, the patent itself has not been mentioned that I recall. But a year ago, when Tesla announced they were beefing up the power electronics in the Roadster and hinted they would have to go to a liquid cooled motor they did say that this was technology coming out of the Whitestar project.

I am assuming this patent covers what they plan to put in the Model S. Or at least planned in some previous design.

Poor Peng...

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

My memory is that Tesla has 17 patents. I am unable to find anything on the Tesla site with this stat.

Anyone know where this is formally stated?

13. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

#16 WarpedOne, Jan 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    Freepatentsonline finds 4 pending applications:

These are patents assigned to Tesla Motors, Inc.

IPWatchDog has this to say about pending patents search:
    It is possible that TM has filled additional 11 patents that are not yet published as pending. I see no reason to advertise what they are trying to patent before they get any legal protection for it.

14. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Thanks W1,

Is there some interview with Martin or Elon, JB, etc. that says, "We have 17 patents"?

15. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

Google finds only you claiming that they have :D

16. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah I have been using that quote for a while now and I can't remember where I got it. Maybe I heard Martin say it at a speaking engagement.
    I did find a Google where someone (martin?) saying that they have filed "about a dozen" patents.