Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla patents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
patents

Teg , great finds .I spent a couple of hours today at the patent repository . The librarian there showed me to the U S Patent main page , We can read patent applications, patents and with a free download of T I F F view the drawings .BTW it seams that there are draconian changes like very old ideas being re patented.

I took it to mean that aeroscott was browsing all sorts of patents (not just ones from Tesla) and ran across many that seemed like "obvious and old ideas". The reality is that it can still be patented if no one bothered to patent it before, and also if you have some sort of novel twist on an old idea you can patent that too. It can be frustrating looking at patents.

One example I saw once was a patent for a laser pointer as a cat exercise toy. This was after plenty of people had been using them that way for a while.

patents

teg, thats what i was thinking .vfx,great find on patent down load site. i needed that.i can't remember any write ups on patent changes except on tv about now being able to patent life! But talking with people that have gone threw the patent process and my observations. A old motor builder friend said that patent apps are now granted with little scrutiny,let them sort it out in court! btw just spent a few days reading about a open source 100 kw 3 phase motor controller. this is something I wanted to do for 28 years.parts cost 2500.00, laptop programed,

Patents

Are the black tubes under ESS coolant tubes?

Amost certainly. I think the coolant "snakes" its way through the ESS, and those external tubes join a chain of internal tubes.

US07433794-20081007-D00000.gif

Searching patent applications at uspto.gov , I see this interesting one

Oh! From the patent:
Liquid cooled rotor assembly

Abstract
A rotor assembly cooling system (100) and method of using same are provided. A portion of the rotor shaft (103) is hollow, the rotor shaft including an open end (107) and a closed end (105). A coolant feed tube (109) is rigidly attached to the rotor shaft (103) using one or more support members (111), thus causing the shaft and the feed tube to rotate at the same rate. Coolant is pumped through the feed tube until it exits the end of the feed tube and flows against the inside surface of the closed end of the rotor shaft causing the coolant to change direction and flow back through the coolant flow region, this region being defined as the space between the outer surface of the feed tube and the inner surface of the hollow rotor shaft.

Very interesting!

but maybe it's been mentioned here before?

Well, the patent itself has not been mentioned that I recall. But a year ago, when Tesla announced they were beefing up the power electronics in the Roadster and hinted they would have to go to a liquid cooled motor they did say that this was technology coming out of the Whitestar project.

I am assuming this patent covers what they plan to put in the Model S. Or at least planned in some previous design.

Note that the primary inventor is Peng Zhou, recently in the news and departed from Tesla.

Poor Peng...

Freepatentsonline finds 4 pending applications:

These are patents assigned to Tesla Motors, Inc.

IPWatchDog has this to say about pending patents search:
Specifically, pending US applications are not published until 18 months after they are filed, so even with an exhaustive patent search there is no way to be sure that everything pending at the Patent Office has been discovered.

It is possible that TM has filled additional 11 patents that are not yet published as pending. I see no reason to advertise what they are trying to patent before they get any legal protection for it.

Last edited:
Yeah I have been using that quote for a while now and I can't remember where I got it. Maybe I heard Martin say it at a speaking engagement.
I did find a Google where someone (martin?) saying that they have filed "about a dozen" patents.