Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla pay-per-charge charging station suggestion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
charging is really still a big problem at hong kong. (i weren't allowed to install charger at my parking space at home. i asked.)

2 years ago, i didn't buy model s but reserved model x for this reason only. at that time, i was hoping 2 years later, this problem could be solved.

however, after 2 years, charging seems still a problem, i couldn't just move my home just because i wanna buy a tesla.
this probably continue to be an issue when i take my x later this year. it must be a big issue for many potential ev owners.

Could tesla just buy a cheap rural location and build a big supercharging station?
Let's say 10-20 charging lots, maybe with a 7-11 or Circle K on the site, and Tesla owners can charge and gather there too. :)

To reduce Tesla's cost, i suggest that it can be operated as pay per charge.
As long as it's similar cost compare to charge at home, or a little premium, then it will help a lot of Tesla owners who can't have their own charger at home.

Although Supercharger suppose to be free for customers, Hong Kong is special situation, so we must think it as independant case.
And Supercharger original idea is free charging for long distant travel/trip. but we need it for everyday driving need. so i am happy with reasonable pay-per-charge policy.

- - - Updated - - -

Hong Kong isn't large, so that even rural area won't be over 30-40KM from the crowd city areas.

- - - Updated - - -

Uber Tesla can also charge there, and open up superchargers at malls for other normal Tesla owners.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe 1 at Hong Kong Island, and another between NT and Kowloon.

These Supercharger suggestions are great but have sprung up too many threads. Please try to search relevant existing threads before creating new ones to help centralise your ideas. Tesla does read this forum, but can't cope with repeated ideas in multiple threads.

It's a bad idea. Why should everyone in HK be penalized like no other owners group. It would be better to do as Elon suggested, and to get the government to make it mandatory for buildings to supply charging for electric cars when requested, at cost.

It's a bad idea. Why should everyone in HK be penalized like no other owners group. It would be better to do as Elon suggested, and to get the government to make it mandatory for buildings to supply charging for electric cars when requested, at cost.

No one gets penalized if they are willing to pay and get what they feel it's worth, the op is suggesting a free option for other end users. Free anything doesn't work in HK, everyone else is being penalized now with a scheme that is designed for the states. Totally believe in pay per use and fair usage. Please make it happen TESLA! The average user wants on demand access to super chargers and are sick to line up versus commercial users.

Another example for you:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153177910751504&set=gm.455875834601615&type=3&theater

I totally agreed with Elon that the best place to charge the car is where we charge our phone; but majority of home or office at HK still can't let you install charger yet.
If our government can help to make it mandatory for charger installation request, it certainly will be great news, but I expect it will take many years for them to discuss and act. You see what is happening to auto-pilot now; no news, no progress, we just can hope and pray.

Pay-per-charge is just one more choice for some Tesla owners. You still can wait in line for free charge; in fact, we are making some people easier to wait for free charge too.

This will be helpful for people consider their time valuable than small money. In my opinion HK$ 50/hr seems a very good deal for me. It took me over HK$ 600 to fill up my tank.

I don't understand why someone so against pay-per-charge Supercharger. :confused:

Tesla states "Free" is for long distance travel. I never heard they said it's free for everyday driving, or commercial usages.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 7.17.27 PM.jpg
Paying to charge at a Supercharger is wrong and against Teslas principles.

Well, we never know their intentions or what type of conflict of interests they may have... There are uber drivers and commercial drivers out there. As for as I am concern, Tesla is a disruptive company and anything they do can be disruptive and change. Free super chargers is meaningless if we have to line up an hour for it.

I don't understand why someone so against pay-per-charge Supercharger. :confused:

Tesla states "Free" is for long distance travel. I never heard they said it's free for everyday driving, or commercial usages.
They can make paid chargers and call it something else (not "supercharger"). This will not break their promise. That is what I suggested long ago. It makes sense to have a paid option for those who don't want to wait.