Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla PCH Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a M3P using the PCH option and having never leased had a few questions if anyone can advise.

Looking at the T&C's the V5 would have Tesla Financial Services as the Registered Keeper. Does this make much of a differeence for insurance purposes as I take it I would then just put myself down as being the legal owner?

I just tried to get a price for GAP incurance on GoCompare but when I select that I won't be the registered keeper I get a message saying 'none of our providers offer gap insurance in this circumstance', any idea what's going on there, I thought that would be pretty normal?

If the car were to be written off by my insurance company, does anyone know what happens then? I take it that my insurance would then pay to replace the car (which isn't mine to start with) but I am assuming that's why GAP insurance would be important to have on a lease?

Think I've actually just discovered a very big risk when going down the PCH route.

I am looking at putting down around 14K to get the monthlies to where I want them. If I was unfortunate enough to be in a position where the car was a write off then the contract as far as I can see would be terminated, the insurance and Tesla finance sort out the who owes what details, but I'd be left with no car and also lose the original 14K I put in up front 😮

Think I've actually just discovered a very big risk when going down the PCH route.

I am looking at putting down around 14K to get the monthlies to where I want them. If I was unfortunate enough to be in a position where the car was a write off then the contract as far as I can see would be terminated, the insurance and Tesla finance sort out the who owes what details, but I'd be left with no car and also lose the original 14K I put in up front 😮
This will be why you get gap insurance

Reactions: Durzel and btc1k
You got it the wrong way round.

Tesla (or the leasing company) is the legal owner.

You will be the registered keeper.
No - you got it the wrong way round...

Maybe get your facts straight: Tesla Financial Services is the owner and the registered keeper of the vehicle. I am on a Tesla Lease (PCH) and I do not have the V5c.

As a lease holder you DO NOT get a V5c with your name as the registered keeper. If you were on a PCP, you would.

Ask google that question, and you'll see its the first hit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 17.22.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 17.22.35.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: Temper Tantrum

I think 14K up front is an astronomical amount to put down on a lease!

I can understand you'd want the monthly payment to be as low as possible for yourself... BUT if I had 14K in my pocket, the PCP looks a better option, as its money going into the car, and you have options at the end, and possible equity in it.

I think 14K up front is an astronomical amount to put down on a lease!

I can understand you'd want the monthly payment to be as low as possible for yourself... BUT if I had 14K in my pocket, the PCP looks a better option, as its money going into the car, and you have options at the end, and possible equity in it.

6k Up Front
£650 x48
Total £38,572

14K Up Front
£497 x48
Total £37,692

14k up front I wouldn't be surprised if you could reduce the HP/PCP payments below the lease cost. And you get to sell the car at the end..

The PCP would work out more expensive from what I can see over the course of 4 years:

14k Up Front
£635 x 48
Total £44,480

I wouldn't be looking to keep the car on after the 4 years. I know there is a chance I could have some equity in it, but it's over 100 notes a month less.

My main concern with the PCH is that if I had the car, for example, 3 months and it was stolen or written off then the initial deposit of 14K would be gone.

GAP would cover anything owed on the car, but I would then be back to square one with needing a new lease and new 14K deposit etc.

Unless I have that wrong 👀

It’s 6 of one half a dozen of the other with PCH and initial (“deposit” is an inappropriate word imo even though it is used often, as it suggests it’s recoverable) & monthlies, as all the money you spend is lost anyway.

I don’t know what PCP quotes are like nowadays but I would presume people who did it in 2019/2020 have done well, since used car prices have gone up whereas their payments & balloon were fixed at inception.

As said above with PCH Tesla Financial Services are both the legal owner and registered keeper of the car. The latter is more of a DVLA thing than what one might think is meant by “keeper”. It’s easier to think of PCH as being that TFS give you indefinite permission to use the vehicle.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum