TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vendor Tesla Performance Tools - Track focused CANbus display for iOS

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by _tpt_, Jan 10, 2020.

1. random155

random155 Member

Thanks for the explanation. I did not post it on the feedback, only here. Is auto lock an option already? When I hit settings there are no options other than restore or something like that. Am I missing this or is it yet to come?

2. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Thanks, please DM me and I can get you setup with a TestFlight build.

Sorry, my bad on the wording. I meant on my end that issue is fixed, just going to wrap up the localization and a couple other small bugs and push the build. Goal is to have this build in review this weekend. Since it's a minor change, shouldn't be too bad.

3. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

#23 _tpt_, Jan 18, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Hey Exiom, sorry, did not mean to miss your post. Issue 1, check. Issue 2, agreed, initially in testing the same values I was using for my other app worked fine. But then I was having the same issues you mention. I already had added a toggle, since I did the same in my other app. But agree the time sample and trigger values could use some tweaking. Issue 3 - please see previous discussion. I'm working on going a different route than I took to get the MVP version to the store.

Feature 1 & 2 - Roger that, and yes it does have a different intention. As discussed before, my goal isn't to compete with amund. Personally, I don't see the utility in logging ALL of the bus. I'd rather not reveal my roadmap at this point, but you'll be happy ;).

4. Exiom

Exiom Member

No problem.

Also if you need help translating into chinese (traditional and/or simplified). Feel free to ask.

5. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Hey just a heads up, next version is in the App Store that should address most of the feedback so far. There is another quick fix currently in review to help with some disconnecting problems. Check out the main post for details. Looking forward to feedback.

6. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Wow, can't believe it's been a month already. Apologize for the long delay, work has been pretty hectic lately. Just wanted to update where I'm at right now. Stage 4 (drag) is mostly complete, just need to continue testing/verifying. Regarding Model 3 support, this has been the second reason for delay. I am able to decode the Model 3 bus at this point, but I do not have any test data to verify. So I went ahead and implemented a much later stage that gives full raw access to the CAN bus. Once I have that fully functional I'll be pushing a beta build soon for external testing. My hope is some of you beta testers can send me logs from your Model 3's so I can verify the other stages. Also if there are any more interested in beta testing shoot me a message.

Lastly, I asked the mods to move this thread to Driving Dynamics as I thought it was more appropriate for the target audience.

7. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

#27 _tpt_, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Great news, version 1.10 is officially in the App Store. This has been a long time coming, and with everything going on, partly delayed. But very happy with the additions. Model 3 support is still in the works unfortunately. I don't have direct access to one, so I'm relying on beta testers to send logs. Everything is in place to turn it on, I just have a few more things to verify.

As before, I've updated the OP, but here's a rundown.

Update 1.10: - Published 3/29/20
    • Logging has been moved out and now available with purchase of the app.
    • Stage 3 - $0.99 IAP - a 1/4 mile readout with ET's and speed times.
    • Stage 4 - $1.99 IAP - a detailed battery monitoring screen for use during charging.
    • Added vehicle firmware selection - this will fix some display issues caused by 2020.12.5
    • Graphing - graph display has been added to Stage 1 and 2.
    • Fixed issue where switching Stages would not always update PID's
    • Fixed issue(s) with Auto Theming
    • Updated log naming
    Note: If you had previously purchased Stage 3, you will still have access to the new version of Stage 3. And since logging is now included in the app, you will not lose any functionality.

8. rolling18

rolling18 Member

Why wouldnt you just make an Android version? more people are on that anyway... and easier to get to the platform

9. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Are you saying this as an Android developer? Or end user?

Pretty simple answer from me, I'm not an Android user day to day. My Pixels and Razer phone are great, but the platform as a whole just doesn't hold much for me. Furthermore, some of the features I have planned aren't as performant on Android. Combine that with the huge array of devices (processing power) I would have to support, it just didn't make sense from a business standpoint.

I'll admit my Android chops aren't what they used to be and what I'm trying to do may be perfectly fine now. But it all goes back to time/money. This is a personal project, not a business venture and I've already invested much more on both fronts than I had planned. Lastly a cross platform project would absolutely not work for the level of performance and device access I need. So unfortunately not a use case for "write once, run anywhere".

As far as ease, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Both platforms require a review process for publication. I'm not into using private API's. And if we're talking development devices required, that metric falls largely to Apple. For basic apps it's not much of an issue, but as you dig into the lower level API's, you begin to need more of the physical devices you'll support. Pretty short list on Apple, not so much on Android. All depends on what the app does, but certainly not a clear cut case.

10. rolling18

rolling18 Member

That is a great description and NOW I totally understand why you went about it the way you are doing! thanks for the detailed response!
    much of that I didnt know as I dont develop apps.

I guess I 'm just jeallous we android people wont/ don't have that App to use. or one similar at least that I could find.
    I also LOVE that you used paragraphs!! such a luxury to read in modern online times!

Still, thanks for your continued efforts even if it is for "the dark side" I personally have a couple mack books so it's not like I/m anti-apple, I guess I just kind have a small worm in mine:)

11. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

#31 _tpt_, Jun 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
    :D Thanks! My hope is someone takes that mantel and builds out something similar. For now you can still use TM-Spy and ScanMyTesla on Android. They don't offer graphing or video overlay yet, but they also do some things I don't. This was just my take on what would be useful from the CAN bus.

12. rolling18

rolling18 Member

ok thanks! ill give those a shot and see whats what..

13. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Hi all, know it's been sometime since last update. Tbh, I took a month off. Quick update went out today to fix issues running on 2020.36. Am very very close to releasing the feature I've been aiming at since day one of undertaking this project. Has been a very long road getting to a functional version, but soon....

14. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

If you've been wondering why it's been so quite...

15. _tpt_

_tpt_ Vendor

Quick update, Stage 5 is live in the App Store