Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Moves Up the Company’s ‘Resource Priority’ List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk continues to show enthusiasm for Tesla’s electric pickup, as he said on Twitter that the project is getting more resources.

Musk was trading tweets with a follower about the possibility of building a sprinter van when he listed the company’s current priorities. The Tesla pickup was placed ahead of the Tesla Semi and Tesla Roadster, which are expected to go into production within the next two years.

“Priority list is Model Y, solar roof tiles, pickup, semi, Roadster,” he tweeted.

When asked for further context on the list he said it was in order of “resource priority, but not necessarily production ramp.”

Musk previously said the pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. He is “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019.

Musk has said the pickup could be a mini version of the Semi. He previously tweeted about possible features including:

All-wheel-drive with “crazy torque”

A step that will lower for entry into the truck

Room for six passengers

400 to 500 miles of range or “maybe higher”

Dynamic suspension will come standard

Power outlets with a 240-volt connection for power tools

The traditional pickup builders don’t seem to be rushing to build electric models, so hopefully Musk’s enthusiasm for the project means he’s racing to take on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please do not make something stupid looking, just an F-150 type 8 foot bed and keep the first production type simple but practical.
Ah but we know the storyline... he will promise the $50,000 truck but if you want one in the first two years it will cost $120,000

and when the $50k model comes out, the paint will cost $5k, steering wheel 2k, seats $4k, bumper 2k, windows $4k.

• Funny
Reactions: Qbenjamin
Ah but we know the storyline... he will promise the $50,000 truck but if you want one in the first two years it will cost $120,000

and when the $50k model comes out, the paint will cost $5k, steering wheel 2k, seats $4k, bumper 2k, windows $4k.
In comparison, you can get F-150 for low 30s, but in reality (at least where I live) the omni-present Platinum editions are easily doubling that price. Let's give the guy a chance.

Reactions: jboy210
Tesla Pickup Wish List
  • AWD (3 motors)
  • Air Suspension
  • Air Horn
  • Extendable Towing Mirrors
  • 8,000 lb Payload Rating
  • 40K lb 5th Wheel Tow Rating
  • 600-mile Range (empty @ 65 mph)
  • 400-mile Range (towing 5th wheel @ 60 mph)
  • 8-ft Bed
  • Power outlets (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-20 and 12V)
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tall Sidewall Tires
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Seating for 5
  • Lots of Storage Compartments
  • Built-in Toolbox
  • Full Running Lights
  • 5th Wheel Hitch (removable)
  • Gooseneck Hitch (removable)
  • Camera with view of 5th wheel plate
  • Camera with view of bumper hitch area
  • Remote Camera Capability - for viewing out the back of the 5th wheel
  • Rear seat that flattens into a bed
  • Privacy Shades
  • Height-Adjustable Shoulder Belts
  • Lighted Sun Visors (extendable)
  • Wireless Phone Charging Docks
  • Rear Seat Entertainment System
  • 0-60 mph in 5 seconds or less (empty)
  • 0-60 mph in 20 seconds or less (towing at 80% capacity)

This is all I ask for. Give me all that and I may never go home again. :D

Last edited:
Tesla Pickup Wish List
  • AWD (3 motors)
  • Air Suspension
  • Air Horn
  • Extendable Towing Mirrors
  • 8,000 lb Payload Rating
  • 40K lb 5th Wheel Tow Rating
  • 600-mile Range (empty @ 65 mph)
  • 400-mile Range (towing 5th wheel @ 60 mph)
  • 8-ft Bed
  • Power outlets (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-20 and 12V)
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tall Sidewall Tires
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Seating for 5
  • Lots of Storage Compartments
  • Built-in Toolbox
  • Full Running Lights
  • 5th Wheel Hitch (removable)
  • Gooseneck Hitch (removable)
  • Camera with view of 5th wheel plate
  • Camera with view of bumper hitch area
  • Remote Camera Capability - for viewing out the back of the 5th wheel
  • Rear seat that flattens into a bed
  • Privacy Shades
  • Height-Adjustable Shoulder Belts
  • Lighted Sun Visors (extendable)
  • Wireless Phone Charging Docks
  • Rear Seat Entertainment System
  • 0-60 mph in 5 seconds or less (empty)
  • 0-60 mph in 20 seconds or less (towing at 80% capacity)

This is all I ask for. Give me all that and I may never go home again. :D
Just give me my avatar with 500mi range for the same price and I'm plunking down my deposit.

In comparison, you can get F-150 for low 30s, but in reality (at least where I live) the omni-present Platinum editions are easily doubling that price. Let's give the guy a chance.

It is pretty ridiculous how out of control pickup prices have become. In 2008 I bought a 60th anniv edition with everything on it for $39k
(actually it ended up well below 30k with employee pricing and numerous rebates)
Now the equivalent fully loaded lariat/XLT is 60k.

I offset the price of gasoline every year by avoiding delivery charges (dirt, mulch, trees, fencing, furniture etc)

Reactions: Donz_S

He will be giving the people what they want. Looking around my town most F-150s are King Ranch, Limited, or Raptor versions. They run $60,000 on up. You never see a base "stripped" F-150 which is about $32,000.

And don't get me started on those Dodge Ram diesels. They run upwards of $80,000. They seem to the truck of choice for most of the people running contracting companies. And these are same type that will buy/lease the Tesla Pickup. $90K for a pickup that does 0-60 in 5 seconds will be just fine with these guys. After all it is a deductible business expense. Better to spend it on yourself than give it to the Government in taxes!

Last edited: