Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Moves Up the Company’s ‘Resource Priority’ List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk continues to show enthusiasm for Tesla’s electric pickup, as he said on Twitter that the project is getting more resources.

Musk was trading tweets with a follower about the possibility of building a sprinter van when he listed the company’s current priorities. The Tesla pickup was placed ahead of the Tesla Semi and Tesla Roadster, which are expected to go into production within the next two years.

“Priority list is Model Y, solar roof tiles, pickup, semi, Roadster,” he tweeted.

When asked for further context on the list he said it was in order of “resource priority, but not necessarily production ramp.”

Musk previously said the pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. He is “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019.

Musk has said the pickup could be a mini version of the Semi. He previously tweeted about possible features including:

All-wheel-drive with “crazy torque”

A step that will lower for entry into the truck

Room for six passengers

400 to 500 miles of range or “maybe higher”

Dynamic suspension will come standard

Power outlets with a 240-volt connection for power tools

The traditional pickup builders don’t seem to be rushing to build electric models, so hopefully Musk’s enthusiasm for the project means he’s racing to take on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
He will be giving the people what they want. Looking around my town most F-150s are King Ranch, Limited, or Raptor versions. They run $60,000 on up. You never see a base "stripped" F-150 which is about $32,000.

And don't get me started on those Dodge Ram diesels. They run upwards of $80,000. They seem to the truck of choice for most of the people running contracting companies. And these are same type that will buy/lease the Tesla Pickup. $90K for a pickup that does 0-60 in 5 seconds will be just fine with these guys. After all it is a deductible business expense. Better to spend it on yourself than give it to the Government in taxes!
speaking of which, will it have a plow package?

Tesla Pickup Wish List
  • AWD (3 motors)
  • Air Suspension
  • Air Horn
  • Extendable Towing Mirrors
  • 8,000 lb Payload Rating
  • 40K lb 5th Wheel Tow Rating
  • 600-mile Range (empty @ 65 mph)
  • 400-mile Range (towing 5th wheel @ 60 mph)
  • 8-ft Bed
  • Power outlets (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-20 and 12V)
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tall Sidewall Tires
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Seating for 5
  • Lots of Storage Compartments
  • Built-in Toolbox
  • Full Running Lights
  • 5th Wheel Hitch (removable)
  • Gooseneck Hitch (removable)
  • Camera with view of 5th wheel plate
  • Camera with view of bumper hitch area
  • Remote Camera Capability - for viewing out the back of the 5th wheel
  • Rear seat that flattens into a bed
  • Privacy Shades
  • Height-Adjustable Shoulder Belts
  • Lighted Sun Visors (extendable)
  • Wireless Phone Charging Docks
  • Rear Seat Entertainment System
  • 0-60 mph in 5 seconds or less (empty)
  • 0-60 mph in 20 seconds or less (towing at 80% capacity)

This is all I ask for. Give me all that and I may never go home again. :D

You forgot your coal rolling attachment! :eek:

• Funny
Reactions: DiamondHands
Ah but we know the storyline... he will promise the $50,000 truck but if you want one in the first two years it will cost $120,000

and when the $50k model comes out, the paint will cost $5k, steering wheel 2k, seats $4k, bumper 2k, windows $4k.

$50K? Try start at $75K considering the batteries and motors needed.

I noticed a couple comments on wishing this F150 like. I doubt that will happen as we've already seen the sketches, so this will likely be a turn-off for some. Did Tesla just tease its pickup truck?

Absurd to think shape would matter - but it will to some rural folks (just like I still can't like a shoebox car). Why anyone would want to push air like a brick wall when there's minimal cooling needed is beyond me. But many that convert will not be in it for the eMPG savings, they'll just want badassness which it will have no doubt. On the other hand, this screams utility and performance which will bring more younger gen onboard than the rural conservative type that fight it. Hang on to your F150, they'll look good in a museum someday soon.

I turn 59 1/2 in 2020. This could be my first big spend. So how big of a garage will I need?

Another thought, with really low CG, this thing should go almost straight up with full 4-wheel traction the whole way.

$50K? Try start at $75K considering the batteries and motors needed.

I noticed a couple comments on wishing this F150 like. I doubt that will happen as we've already seen the sketches, so this will likely be a turn-off for some. Did Tesla just tease its pickup truck?

Absurd to think shape would matter - but it will to some rural folks (just like I still can't like a shoebox car). Why anyone would want to push air like a brick wall when there's minimal cooling needed is beyond me. But many that convert will not be in it for the eMPG savings, they'll just want badassness which it will have no doubt. On the other hand, this screams utility and performance which will bring more younger gen onboard than the rural conservative type that fight it. Hang on to your F150, they'll look good in a museum someday soon.

I turn 59 1/2 in 2020. This could be my first big spend. So how big of a garage will I need?

Another thought, with really low CG, this thing should go almost straight up with full 4-wheel traction the whole way.
I want durability, capability, reliability and 500mi of range for a decent price. why would it have to look like an F150?

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Gotta say, those specs on the Rivian R1T revealed today are pretty nice and with many thoughtful features pickup owners want. The vehicle isn't awful looking and traditional enough where I think current pickup buyers would go for it. It's kind of exactly what I was hoping the Tesla pickup would be like, but I'm afraid they'll go off the semi design and do the whole "cyberpunk" thing Elon is so jazzed about - which might be cool but probably won't sell well IMHO.

Of course, it remains to be seen what Rivian will be as a company and if they will actually be able to produce what they have designed and unveiled. Honestly though, if this was Tesla's pickup I'd be all over it.

Rivian unveils all-electric pickup truck with unbelievable specs

Gotta say, those specs on the Rivian R1T revealed today are pretty nice and with many thoughtful features pickup owners want. The vehicle isn't awful looking and traditional enough where I think current pickup buyers would go for it. It's kind of exactly what I was hoping the Tesla pickup would be like, but I'm afraid they'll go off the semi design and do the whole "cyberpunk" thing Elon is so jazzed about - which might be cool but probably won't sell well IMHO.

Of course, it remains to be seen what Rivian will be as a company and if they will actually be able to produce what they have designed and unveiled. Honestly though, if this was Tesla's pickup I'd be all over it.

Same. Personally, I'd like to see Tesla acquire Rivian.

I'm sure this will appeal to a lot of potential truck buyers but it's not for me. It looks a bit dainty to me, stylistically, and it isn't a serious truck...it's more like a Honda Ridgeline. I go off road a lot, bash my truck over rough terrain, haul elk and deer after hunting and generally beat the crap out of my truck. The Rivian looks like it will be too geared towards urban owners. If Bollinger gets the range of the Rivian into its proposed truck, now we're talking.

Just saw the Rivian video - and WOW. I truly wish the company well. I think all of us on this forum agree that our species needs to head in the mass-EV direction, and this truck, besides checking off a vast majority of features that truck and non-truck owners seek, will be a nice addition to the growing EV market. Had it been a Tesla, I would have put money down for 3 trucks. I like the truck's aesthetics- familiar yet refreshingly different (I don't want another vehicle that looks like my beloved X).

In my view, the only rate limiting step would be a lack of charging options. If I could hit the road and just drive as I can with my X, this truck would be a home run.

Reactions: mikevbf
I am keeping my eye on the Tesla truck. I look forward to what Tesla will put forward and hope they make a simple utilitarian truck. I also hope that they make a crew version with at least a 6.5ft bed inorder to take advantage of tax credits. (The so called hummer tax) My dad is a contractor and would be needing a new truck sometime in 2020. I seriously hope that they do not make an oversized monstrosity. Already it is virtually impossible to find parking for my dad's current 2015 f150 and it feels way to wide in some narrow lanes when driving in the freeway. The Rivian truck gives insight into just what Tesla can do. But, I hope they make a stripped down version to help them directly compete against Ford's 900,000 million marketshare, not to mention dodge and GM. The amount of profit they can make on the Tesla truck, is peanuts when compared to what they make with the Model 3. Im hoping for a starting price of 50k with a 100Kwh pack, 4wd. 7500 lbs towing and at least 250 mile range. At that price Tesla will be competing against the Lariat trim f150 and higher spec XLT's. At that price the Tesla truck would represent better value for money then what Ford currently offers. Not to mention that such a platform could be adopted to make a SUV. In short the market for trucks is huge and if Tesla plays it's cards right it could become a huge player in the pickup scene.

Reactions: DiamondHands
I am keeping my eye on the Tesla truck. I look forward to what Tesla will put forward and hope they make a simple utilitarian truck. I also hope that they make a crew version with at least a 6.5ft bed inorder to take advantage of tax credits. (The so called hummer tax) My dad is a contractor and would be needing a new truck sometime in 2020. I seriously hope that they do not make an oversized monstrosity. Already it is virtually impossible to find parking for my dad's current 2015 f150 and it feels way to wide in some narrow lanes when driving in the freeway. The Rivian truck gives insight into just what Tesla can do. But, I hope they make a stripped down version to help them directly compete against Ford's 900,000 million marketshare, not to mention dodge and GM. The amount of profit they can make on the Tesla truck, is peanuts when compared to what they make with the Model 3. Im hoping for a starting price of 50k with a 100Kwh pack, 4wd. 7500 lbs towing and at least 250 mile range. At that price Tesla will be competing against the Lariat trim f150 and higher spec XLT's. At that price the Tesla truck would represent better value for money then what Ford currently offers. Not to mention that such a platform could be adopted to make a SUV. In short the market for trucks is huge and if Tesla plays it's cards right it could become a huge player in the pickup scene.

Did you see Tesla’s drawing of the truck? It has a size of f650/750.

Maybe there will be one more thing and Tesla will introduce a pickup version along Y with Y based on model 3 platform.

Towing capacity is going to be very important. I work for a living, left consulting behind, as a land manager for farm estates. So, we deal with lots of people/trucks/tractors/logging equipment/construction equipment etc. The ability to tow 20k lbs is going to be a difference. All the big pickups, f450, big ram diesels blah blah will all tow at commercially relevant load rates. Toyotas dont. F150..nope.

If Tesla makes a frame and suspension that can handle another +20k lbs then yes you would have a killer product. Many people in the white collar world don't realize that a simple f450 has towing capacity to rival medium duty dump trucks. Lots of guys skirting CDL requirements pulling heavy duty gooseneck trailers and making a living. Now if they get pulled...they will get a ticket if the cops a ahole but until such time they make a living.

Reactions: Vitold
Did you see Tesla’s drawing of the truck? It has a size of f650/750.

Maybe there will be one more thing and Tesla will introduce a pickup version along Y with Y based on model 3 platform.
I sincerely hope that Tesla does not make the mistake of making the Tesla Pickup the size of a F650. Doing so would cater to a smaller market (only companies) and not the core of the truck market. Ford sellers nearly 1 million f150 trucks a year and that's not including gm or dodge.