Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Moves Up the Company’s ‘Resource Priority’ List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk continues to show enthusiasm for Tesla’s electric pickup, as he said on Twitter that the project is getting more resources.

Musk was trading tweets with a follower about the possibility of building a sprinter van when he listed the company’s current priorities. The Tesla pickup was placed ahead of the Tesla Semi and Tesla Roadster, which are expected to go into production within the next two years.

“Priority list is Model Y, solar roof tiles, pickup, semi, Roadster,” he tweeted.

When asked for further context on the list he said it was in order of “resource priority, but not necessarily production ramp.”

Musk previously said the pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. He is “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019.

Musk has said the pickup could be a mini version of the Semi. He previously tweeted about possible features including:

All-wheel-drive with “crazy torque”

A step that will lower for entry into the truck

Room for six passengers

400 to 500 miles of range or “maybe higher”

Dynamic suspension will come standard

Power outlets with a 240-volt connection for power tools

The traditional pickup builders don’t seem to be rushing to build electric models, so hopefully Musk’s enthusiasm for the project means he’s racing to take on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta say, those specs on the Rivian R1T revealed today are pretty nice and with many thoughtful features pickup owners want. The vehicle isn't awful looking and traditional enough where I think current pickup buyers would go for it. It's kind of exactly what I was hoping the Tesla pickup would be like, but I'm afraid they'll go off the semi design and do the whole "cyberpunk" thing Elon is so jazzed about - which might be cool but probably won't sell well IMHO.

Of course, it remains to be seen what Rivian will be as a company and if they will actually be able to produce what they have designed and unveiled. Honestly though, if this was Tesla's pickup I'd be all over it.

Rivian unveils all-electric pickup truck with unbelievable specs

We're looking closely at the Rivian R1T as well. Love our Model 3 and our 2001 Dodge SLT will just about last until 2020, we will wait and love the idea that we may have a choice between Tesla or Rivian. Price and looks matter less than practicality and being able to pull our very heavy 1930 Wooden Boat (need that 11K towing capacity).

We're looking closely at the Rivian R1T as well. Love our Model 3 and our 2001 Dodge SLT will just about last until 2020, we will wait and love the idea that we may have a choice between Tesla or Rivian. Price and looks matter less than practicality and being able to pull our very heavy 1930 Wooden Boat (need that 11K towing capacity).
Yep towing capacity is important. Hope they realize this. Otherwise the pickup will just be a glorified suburban vehicle.

Reactions: bettegruben
For all you pick-em-up truck aficionados, around these parts thousands (yes, thousands) of folks haul fifth wheels behind their pick ups. In fact, when I was driving home from the Palm Springs area the other day, I counted at least 40 of them heading towards the desert. These are very popular with snowbirds. These are not small trailers; they couple in the flat bed of the truck. I also see people parked along the coast during summer and fall. In addition to these fifth wheels, I spotted at least a dozen more hauling conventional trailers with a tow hitch.

What sort of pickup is needed to haul these behemoths? How large would a Tesla pickup have to be in order to get a reasonable distance between charging stops? Of course, Tesla will have to rethink the Supercharging design in order for these giants to Supercharge without decoupling every couple of hours.

Reactions: Mattzilla
While we all have our wants and needs in a pickup truck, ranging from urban hauler to long range heavy duty towing, I imagine Tesla will cater their truck to exactly the market with the largest carbon footprint (according to their analyses). If that results in a truck that’s too small or too large for some, so be it.

That being said, there’s no reason (except good reasons out of my grasp I’m sure) why they couldn’t do a small Ridgeline style pickup on the Model Y platform, like Rivian did with their pickup/SUV combo. My guess is they simply don’t have the production bandwidth to do that, but could hit the small pickup market that way while leaving the “Tesla pickup” for the heavy-duty market.

Reactions: linkster
While we all have our wants and needs in a pickup truck, ranging from urban hauler to long range heavy duty towing, I imagine Tesla will cater their truck to exactly the market with the largest carbon footprint (according to their analyses). If that results in a truck that’s too small or too large for some, so be it.

That being said, there’s no reason (except good reasons out of my grasp I’m sure) why they couldn’t do a small Ridgeline style pickup on the Model Y platform, like Rivian did with their pickup/SUV combo. My guess is they simply don’t have the production bandwidth to do that, but could hit the small pickup market that way while leaving the “Tesla pickup” for the heavy-duty market.
I think the problem with the small pickup market is that nobody will pay 70k for a midsize pickup. If you can afford that, you're getting a full size. pickup trucks are very similar and have been going through something
of an arms race over the last decade. best bet would be to drop a pickup right into the middle of 'what guys want' trucks that are so popular right now. the truck commercials are outlandish, but so true. can you drop
a load of stone in the back, tow the space shuttle, drive through ruts that would bottom out a car, and still have luxury? build the 150/gmc/ram with 500mi of range with all of those things being the same, and
you will never be able to build enoughto satisfy demand.

Tesla Pickup Wish List
  • AWD (3 motors)
  • Air Suspension
  • Air Horn
  • Extendable Towing Mirrors
  • 8,000 lb Payload Rating
  • 40K lb 5th Wheel Tow Rating
  • 600-mile Range (empty @ 65 mph)
  • 400-mile Range (towing 5th wheel @ 60 mph)
  • 8-ft Bed
  • Power outlets (NEMA 14-50, NEMA 5-20 and 12V)
  • Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
  • Tall Sidewall Tires
  • Full-Size Spare Tire
  • Seating for 5
  • Lots of Storage Compartments
  • Built-in Toolbox
  • Full Running Lights
  • 5th Wheel Hitch (removable)
  • Gooseneck Hitch (removable)
  • Camera with view of 5th wheel plate
  • Camera with view of bumper hitch area
  • Remote Camera Capability - for viewing out the back of the 5th wheel
  • Rear seat that flattens into a bed
  • Privacy Shades
  • Height-Adjustable Shoulder Belts
  • Lighted Sun Visors (extendable)
  • Wireless Phone Charging Docks
  • Rear Seat Entertainment System
  • 0-60 mph in 5 seconds or less (empty)
  • 0-60 mph in 20 seconds or less (towing at 80% capacity)

This is all I ask for. Give me all that and I may never go home again. :D
Lol, so what you really want is an RV...which might actually be a super profitable market to enter.

OT

What do you mean built on the semi-platform? The semi is a massive GVWR dual rear wheel drive frame. Pickup will be four wheel drive. Other than reuse of the same motor core (derived from the 3), I don't see anything that would carry over well...

Shall we change venue to one of the pickup threads? Just quote or tag me @mongo there.

It's not hard to have a single axle instead of a dual axle, particularly in a Tesla since there is only electrical connections rather than a physical drivetrain between the two axles. They'll need to do something about the height, so the tire size will change. I don't expect them to sell very many because they'll be close to or higher than the Semi's price. But anyone who purchased the original Hummer, or wanted to, or is of like mindset (before GM made the Hummer into a kit car) will be a potential customer. Not everyone who can afford the 2020 Roadster wants that kind of vehicle. I suspect there are just as many who would pay the same price for a Tesla Semi pickup. By the time you lighten the Semi, put on smaller tires, and lower the frontal area, the 500 mile range could easily increase to 700.

Last edited:
Reactions: VValleyEV
It's not hard to have a single axle instead of a dual axle, particularly in a Tesla since there is only electrical connections rather than a physical drivetrain between the two axles. They'll need to do something about the height, so the tire size will change. I don't expect them to sell very many because they'll be close to or higher than the Semi's price. But anyone who purchased the original Hummer, or wanted to, or is of like mindset (before GM made the Hummer into a kit car) will be a potential customer. Not everyone who can afford the 2020 Roadster wants that kind of vehicle. I suspect there are just as many who would pay the same price for a Tesla Semi pickup. By the time you lighten the Semi, put on smaller tires, and lower the frontal area, the 500 mile range could easily increase to 700.

It's not just tire size, look at the mass/ dimensions of that axle. Each one is set up for accelerating 40k 0-60 in 20 seconds. That is way overkill for a consumer truck along with the gear size/ ration and drive unit housing. Also need a different front end for aero and the front drive unit. I think it has standard air brakes also which would need changed to hydraulic.

It's not just tire size, look at the mass/ dimensions of that axle. Each one is set up for accelerating 40k 0-60 in 20 seconds. That is way overkill for a consumer truck along with the gear size/ ration and drive unit housing. Also need a different front end for aero and the front drive unit. I think it has standard air brakes also which would need changed to hydraulic.
Agreed about the brakes. The people who would buy one are into overkill--it's an important feature for them.

Sure, but there is overkill, and then there is unusable...
LOL. Down the street from my house there is one of those pickups with tires taller than I am. My guess is that he would be a prime candidate to purchase one (assuming he has the money). If silliness was a capital offense, there wouldn't be many people left.

Reactions: mongo
Those people won't buy one without a rumbling diesel engine anyway.

Not sure what they would do when they got a feel of real torque though.

True. But the gasser crowd is also extremely loyal and that is probably an understatement.
My new F450 has nearly 1000 ft/lbs at 1600 rpm so they do have a lot of power.
And with the transfer tank it can travel 2500 miles empty or about 1400 miles towing 15000 lbs.