Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Havelaar of Canada throws out an electric pickup design!!!

screen-shot-2017-05-30-at-2-03-13-pm.png

Startup unveils new all-electric pickup truck with Tesla-like interior

• Informative
Reactions: MitchMitch
Where in the heck did Havelaar come from? Do they make any other products?

Sounds like a unicorn ... mysterious new startup, Havelaar Canada, unveiled an all-electric pickup truck concept today at the EMC show in Markham, Ontario. With the unveiling of the vehicle, called Bison E-Pickup, the Toronto-based company announced that they plan to bring the electric vehicle to production in Ontario. They are working on the vehicle through a partnership with the University of Toronto:

“Havelaar is committed to innovation as well as to its social and environmental responsibilities. Tony Han, CEO of Havelaar Canada, led the launch in 2016 of the UofT Havelaar Electric Vehicle Research Centre (UTHEV) together with UTHEV Director Professor Olivier Trescases and Associate Director, Professor Peter Lehn of the U of T Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The cross-disciplinary partnership focuses on transformative powertrain, energy management and autonomous driving technologies to increase electric vehicle efficiency, safety, comfort, and lifetime, and reduce system costs.”

It’s still not clear when they plan to bring the vehicle to production and at what price, but it still an interesting concept nonetheless.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
Countries in North American and Europe have laws against scams, so this is probably a true prototype. There have been quite a few unveilings of EV prototypes in China that just vanished from the radar after the initial showing. However, even if they are sincere, getting a vehicle to market takes a lot more than having a prototype. Look at how much other EV start ups have struggled. Even Apple wasn't able to get an EV out there and it looks like they are now just going to concentrate on computer systems for cars.

An electric pickup would be nice to have, but the cargo space in my S fits most of my hauling needs.

Countries in North American and Europe have laws against scams, so this is probably a true prototype. There have been quite a few unveilings of EV prototypes in China that just vanished from the radar after the initial showing. However, even if they are sincere, getting a vehicle to market takes a lot more than having a prototype. Look at how much other EV start ups have struggled. Even Apple wasn't able to get an EV out there and it looks like they are now just going to concentrate on computer systems for cars.

An electric pickup would be nice to have, but the cargo space in my S fits most of my hauling needs.
You can put a yard of chips or soil and brush in your S?

I did say it fits "most" of my hauling needs. I don't need to haul stuff for or from the yard very often. It also won't haul a Christmas tree very well and I don't have the sunroof with attachment points for the roof rack.
Just kidding, I regularly need to haul brush or chips for the yard plus lumber for my many projects. Hate going to the gas station and hate having to change oil and other stuff. Probably going to be at least several years before we see an all electric pickup, and one that is not $100,000.

There are some people who have attached a small trailer to the Model S. Kmanauto who posts here on the forum under Islandbay and has a Yuotube channel has a trailer hitch for his Model S.
But that is illegal here in Europe as long as Tesla has not certified the car for towing...

... but my current truck is old and worth nothing somit works for my needs.
In that case I agree that it the best solution to use that as long as it can do it's work.

And yes, it is a bit more work to hook it up when you need the trailer, but on the other hand, you do not drive around with a large unprotected outdoor storage room to "haul brush or chips" that will destroy your aerodynamic and add weight and therefore lower your range when you don't need it. So in my opinion that "pain" is well worth it. Even more so with an BEV then any fossil cars.

But on the other hand, if you do need this storage "all" (or most of) the time a pickup is probably the right tool for the work.

Okay, so aside from the range (and whether this is vapor {vapour since its Canadian}), a few "workflow" issues need to be addressed

(keep in mind, there are two pickup owners, "I want a pickup" and "I need a pickup")

For the "need" crew:

- towing package (brakes, tongue weight, towing capacity)
- I assume this will be a quarter ton (please don't argue nomenclature as I know it really doesn't apply clearly anymore) with very little capacity on the rear axle - maybe 750#?? maybe??
- inverter in the bed? (I mean, if you got the amps, let's run the compressor and the saw from it while on the site)

Off the top of my head, these are some nice starting issue questions ...

But that is illegal here in Europe as long as Tesla has not certified the car for towing...

In that case I agree that it the best solution to use that as long as it can do it's work.

And yes, it is a bit more work to hook it up when you need the trailer, but on the other hand, you do not drive around with a large unprotected outdoor storage room to "haul brush or chips" that will destroy your aerodynamic and add weight and therefore lower your range when you don't need it. So in my opinion that "pain" is well worth it. Even more so with an BEV then any fossil cars.

But on the other hand, if you do need this storage "all" (or most of) the time a pickup is probably the right tool for the work.
LOL. I just love seeing reasonable European responses. That being said, come to central/southern/southwestern USA. Almost everyone (and by that I mean ~40%) of people are driving around with empty pickup trucks, just so they can have that space to haul and carry about 5 times/year. And get about 12 mpg.

LOL. I just love seeing reasonable European responses. That being said, come to central/southern/southwestern USA. Almost everyone (and by that I mean ~40%) of people are driving around with empty pickup trucks, just so they can have that space to haul and carry about 5 times/year. And get about 12 mpg.

I live in a more conservative county just north of Portland, OR. We're probably wild eyed liberals compared to the Deep South, but compared to Portland, this county is definitely more conservative. The biggest difference between the two counties is the vehicles people drive. In Portland you see a lot of Priuses (Prii?), some Smart cars, and generally a lot of smaller vehicles that get good gas mileage or Nissan Leafs. In this county, I've seen an uptick in Nissan Leafs and more and more Teslas all the time, but like where you are, about 50% of the vehicles are either trucks or SUVs on truck chassis, most running empty. And the weird thing is gas is cheaper in Portland than here.

My SO's law partner had a Honda Accord on a lease, but then bought a big moose of a pickup (long chassis, crew cab, 3/4 ton) to haul the trailer for his jet skis and now drives the pickup everywhere and got rid of the Honda when the lease was up. The funny thing is I don't think he's gone jet skiing since he bought the truck.

The large number of Leafs are probably people who realized that we have the cheapest electric rates in the country and running an electric car here is cheap ($0.08/KWh).

My current thought:

Hey, Elon!

It’s time to do pickup truck. (Like 3 years ago.) Get Franz to whip up something masculine looking enough and get it out the door, as in in 3 days. Expand the turns on the combined Model S & X line in the factory or whatever it takes to make the wheelbase a bit longer, have the pickup stick out a little in front and in back clogging the prior and next stations where the robots work on it, perhaps at each station stopping twice, moving up a bit so it can reach the back after doing the front maybe even (who cares — you can optimize later), and get the thing out there! Run the crash tests, hand-fix the errors, do the correct tests (men don’t put up with highly pathetic cars), and put an entrant out there for the Ranchers and eventually the Blowers, the Towers and eventually the Dumpers. You can have one out before the cheap Model 3 is out, but practically speaking, at about the same time in terms of speed. But stick it on the beleagered Model S & X line — no one will notice, since there’s not many Model S & X buyers anyway (it’s more premium). Your next factories can use whatever X.0 - X.N Level monster factory you want.

I looked at all the above. Most of them are way too fem. I'm sorry. Get away from the grille (old fashioned) and the look of inferiority and submittance (ass up nose down). Get Franz to do something more butch, kingly, owning, and severe. Too many beautiful sculpted curves and men aren't going to take that thing seriously: that's what they have wives for.

My current thought:

Hey, Elon!

It’s time to do pickup truck. (Like 3 years ago.) Get Franz to whip up something masculine looking enough and get it out the door, as in in 3 days. Expand the turns on the combined Model S & X line in the factory or whatever it takes to make the wheelbase a bit longer, have the pickup stick out a little in front and in back clogging the prior and next stations where the robots work on it, perhaps at each station stopping twice, moving up a bit so it can reach the back after doing the front maybe even (who cares — you can optimize later), and get the thing out there! Run the crash tests, hand-fix the errors, do the correct tests (men don’t put up with highly pathetic cars), and put an entrant out there for the Ranchers and eventually the Blowers, the Towers and eventually the Dumpers. You can have one out before the cheap Model 3 is out, but practically speaking, at about the same time in terms of speed. But stick it on the beleagered Model S & X line — no one will notice, since there’s not many Model S & X buyers anyway (it’s more premium). Your next factories can use whatever X.0 - X.N Level monster factory you want.

I looked at all the above. Most of them are way too fem. I'm sorry. Get away from the grille (old fashioned) and the look of inferiority and submittance (ass up nose down). Get Franz to do something more butch, kingly, owning, and severe. Too many beautiful sculpted curves and men aren't going to take that thing seriously: that's what they have wives for.

Were you thinking something like this?

MonsterPriusTruck.jpg

Were you thinking something like this?

View attachment 229799
I don't actually like pickups, so I'm guessing. The huge demand seems to be from those who just find them utilitarian. They can perform a large number of hauling and work duties. Last week alone I saw some haul tools, equipment, material, trailers, and people to where they needed to go. Also, their higher clearance allows them to bumble over worksites and rural terrain, and some all-wheel variants assist in those capabilities. I believe all of this versatility is what makes them popular among those who do literally any of those things.

I hear that vans are the substitute for pickups in Europe, and personally, I'd rather use vans for most work. I'm agnostic in what the market wants, though, and I think Tesla is really behind in the area of both pickups and vans. Both those markets are rather masculine and utilitarian, so anything that looks in the least bit emasculating or wimpy would be bad news for both the buyers and the sellers.

Regarding your picture, I see problems loading cargo due to height and access problems, attaching a trailer due to height differences, trailer weight capacity issues, cargo weight capacity issues, and a problem getting in and out. Luckily, I think it seems decent at handling a fair amount of terrain issues. In terms of looks, the wheels give it a rough and tumble look despite having an uninspired body. However, because of utility being low, not only due to above faults, but also due to how wide it is, I think its saleability is too low. And finally, if for some reason you aren't fixated on the wheels, your eyesight would be diverted to its rather sucky and wimpy body.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: AustinPowers