Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Pickup Truck

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a Ford F-650 pickup truck in a parking lot recently - they're huge! I wonder if this is form factor Elon is considering...
(Here are some F-650 examples)

F650.jpg
F650 2.jpg

Reactions: madmax240
My read is the board or the engineering team interceded on the development of the Y, so we got this weird crossover vehicle verses a Mid-size SUV, so they could get it to market quickly with few engineering changes. (not really what this consumer wanted, so I will wait for the truck).
I hope it has a cab over design too, but actually like the idea of a six passenger cab with a "limited hood" that serves absolutely no purpose in a vehicle that doesn't have an engine compartment.

This would be perfectly fine with me as long as it will fit a standard products made for 8 foot truck beds, If not, I wont buy it.

DldnAuNUUAEXvu_-898x575.jpg

PICK-UP TRUCK BED LENGTH DEFINITIONS

It is important to clarify the nomenclature of bed length to ensure that the truck rack will fit the pick-up properly. Standard short bed The standard short bed, sometimes simply called the standard bed, is by far the most popular type of pickup truck bed. Compact truck beds are generally about 5 ft (1.5 m) long and full-size beds are generally 6.5 ft (2.0 m). These beds offer significant loadhauling versatility, but are not long enough to be difficult to drive or park. Standard Long bed The standard long bed is usually a foot or two longer than the standard short bed and is more popular on trucks of primarily utilitarian employ (for example, commercial work trucks or farm trucks). Compact long beds are generally 7 ft (2.1 m) long and full-size long beds are generally 8 ft (2.4 m) long. Full-size long beds offer the advantage of carrying a standard-size 4 ft×8 ft sheet of plywood, drywall or other material typically produced in that size, with the tailgate closed. Full size long bed trucks also have the advantage of being the standard vehicle to haul a truck camper. In the United States and Canada, long beds are not very popular on compact trucks because of the easy availability of full-size pickup trucks. Extra Short bed There is often confusion when using the term short bed. Usually it refers to a standard short bed, however, some manufacturers, when referring to their 4-door trucks, offer both a standard short bed (about 6.5 ft) as well as an extra-short bed, or super short bed (about 5.5 ft). The manufacturer may refer to the 5.5 ft bed as a short bed and the 6.5 ft bed as a long bed. It is particularly when ordering a truck rack for a truck with 4-door trucks to clarify the actual measured length of the bed. Manufacturers of compact four-door pickup trucks now also offer Short beds or super short beds which may be less than 5 feet long. They are sometimes based on sport utility vehicles, with the bed either attached behind the cab such as the Ford Explorer Sport Trac or built into an integrated assembly such as the Chevrolet Avalanche. Early very short bed trucks had only a regular cab.

PLEASE don't let it look like a smaller version of the Tesla Semi! I will buy the Tesla Pickup IF it is more along the lines of a 'standard' looking pickup. And before I get chastised for not thinking 'outside the box'... let me explain:

While it has been stated that the front area - sans ICE - would be a waste of space, I respectfully disagree. I have always owned (including currently) a pickup. I'm in a slightly wetter climate than many, and covering my loads is oftentimes important. Having a large frunk would be wonderful! The frunk in my X is so small, I have never used it to haul anything. So having a weatherproof larger version of this would be much more practical!

Mind you, this would only benefit smaller loads... but it is a great option. I will oftentimes carry long sticks as well as sheets of plywood, and have to load bags of cement as well. When raining, I have to put the cement in the back seat in the cab... very dusty and messy. To be able to put those in the frunk would be phenomenal!

IMO, Rivian has the right idea... just a buffugly design! I know Tesla will do it right!

Reactions: gene and Kuhz
PLEASE don't let it look like a smaller version of the Tesla Semi! I will buy the Tesla Pickup IF it is more along the lines of a 'standard' looking pickup. And before I get chastised for not thinking 'outside the box'... let me explain:

While it has been stated that the front area - sans ICE - would be a waste of space, I respectfully disagree. I have always owned (including currently) a pickup. I'm in a slightly wetter climate than many, and covering my loads is oftentimes important. Having a large frunk would be wonderful! The frunk in my X is so small, I have never used it to haul anything. So having a weatherproof larger version of this would be much more practical!

Mind you, this would only benefit smaller loads... but it is a great option. I will oftentimes carry long sticks as well as sheets of plywood, and have to load bags of cement as well. When raining, I have to put the cement in the back seat in the cab... very dusty and messy. To be able to put those in the frunk would be phenomenal!

IMO, Rivian has the right idea... just a buffugly design! I know Tesla will do it right!
I totally agree, make it F-150 ish and basic to start so it is affordable with an 8 foot bed.

My read is the board or the engineering team interceded on the development of the Y, so we got this weird crossover vehicle verses a Mid-size SUV, so they could get it to market quickly with few engineering changes. (not really what this consumer wanted, so I will wait for the truck).
I hope it has a cab over design too, but actually like the idea of a six passenger cab with a "limited hood" that serves absolutely no purpose in a vehicle that doesn't have an engine compartment.

This would be perfectly fine with me as long as it will fit a standard products made for 8 foot truck beds, If not, I wont buy it.
Even if it's larger, I should imagine there will be spacers so that standard truck accessories can be used.

I expect there will be a frunk both because Tesla puts various bits of equipment like the air conditioner up there, and for crush zone in an accident. However they could still have a much smaller nose than a standard pickup and have lots of protected storage. All the cars from the S on have had under floor storage. behind the rear axle is the space where a gas tank would be on an ICE, but it's void space in an EV. They make a covered storage area there. Because the bed has to be above the axle in back, there will be a void space between the axle and the cab. They might fill that space with batteries for better range, but if they don't it could be an enclosed storage area.

The area in front of the axle could either have a panel that opens in the bed (sealed with a lock since it will be exposed to the elements) of have side panels that open like you see in utility beds for pickups now.

By making the nose shorter, they can move the cab forward and this presents a number of advantages. First the pickup will have much better forward visibility than other pickups, and secondly the overall length of the vehicle can be shorter with the long beds and large cabs. That will aid in maneuverability.

They could also steal Bollinger's idea and have a pass through hatch that allows you to put long pieces of pipe and such through the cab and into the frunk from the bed. The Bollinger can get cargo the length of the entire truck in.

I expect there will be a frunk both because Tesla puts various bits of equipment like the air conditioner up there, and for crush zone in an accident. However they could still have a much smaller nose than a standard pickup and have lots of protected storage. All the cars from the S on have had under floor storage. behind the rear axle is the space where a gas tank would be on an ICE, but it's void space in an EV. They make a covered storage area there. Because the bed has to be above the axle in back, there will be a void space between the axle and the cab. They might fill that space with batteries for better range, but if they don't it could be an enclosed storage area.

The area in front of the axle could either have a panel that opens in the bed (sealed with a lock since it will be exposed to the elements) of have side panels that open like you see in utility beds for pickups now.

By making the nose shorter, they can move the cab forward and this presents a number of advantages. First the pickup will have much better forward visibility than other pickups, and secondly the overall length of the vehicle can be shorter with the long beds and large cabs. That will aid in maneuverability.

They could also steal Bollinger's idea and have a pass through hatch that allows you to put long pieces of pipe and such through the cab and into the frunk from the bed. The Bollinger can get cargo the length of the entire truck in.
I would like it even better if it didnt even enter the cab, but could slide under the cab.

DldnAuNUUAEXvu_-898x575.jpg

PICK-UP TRUCK BED LENGTH DEFINITIONS

It is important to clarify the nomenclature of bed length to ensure that the truck rack will fit the pick-up properly. Standard short bed The standard short bed, sometimes simply called the standard bed, is by far the most popular type of pickup truck bed. Compact truck beds are generally about 5 ft (1.5 m) long and full-size beds are generally 6.5 ft (2.0 m). These beds offer significant loadhauling versatility, but are not long enough to be difficult to drive or park. Standard Long bed The standard long bed is usually a foot or two longer than the standard short bed and is more popular on trucks of primarily utilitarian employ (for example, commercial work trucks or farm trucks). Compact long beds are generally 7 ft (2.1 m) long and full-size long beds are generally 8 ft (2.4 m) long. Full-size long beds offer the advantage of carrying a standard-size 4 ft×8 ft sheet of plywood, drywall or other material typically produced in that size, with the tailgate closed. Full size long bed trucks also have the advantage of being the standard vehicle to haul a truck camper. In the United States and Canada, long beds are not very popular on compact trucks because of the easy availability of full-size pickup trucks. Extra Short bed There is often confusion when using the term short bed. Usually it refers to a standard short bed, however, some manufacturers, when referring to their 4-door trucks, offer both a standard short bed (about 6.5 ft) as well as an extra-short bed, or super short bed (about 5.5 ft). The manufacturer may refer to the 5.5 ft bed as a short bed and the 6.5 ft bed as a long bed. It is particularly when ordering a truck rack for a truck with 4-door trucks to clarify the actual measured length of the bed. Manufacturers of compact four-door pickup trucks now also offer Short beds or super short beds which may be less than 5 feet long. They are sometimes based on sport utility vehicles, with the bed either attached behind the cab such as the Ford Explorer Sport Trac or built into an integrated assembly such as the Chevrolet Avalanche. Early very short bed trucks had only a regular cab.

I agree with your assessment, however, the new Tesla is unlikely to have a full 8' bed based on the growing popularity of small/mid size trucks. :cool:

Ford sold a total of 12096 F-650s in 2018. Not exactly a mass market vehicle. Tesla would be crazy to build a similar sized vehicle as its 4th or 5th vehicle design.
and Elon said this would NOT be a mass market vehicle, that people might not like it, and that they may make a normal pickup later, so those numbers actually make it seem like this could be the market for the Tesla pickup