Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wanted to go on record and say what an incredible vehicle the Model S Plaid is. I can drive just about whatever I want and I choose to drive the Model S. Never in my lifetime did I think that anybody would ever be able to effortlessly, daily-drive, a 1020hp car. This car is equally at home walking away from even the most powerful bikes ever made, as it is quietly integrating into a funeral procession. Perhaps best of all it charges for free, off of the sunshine that hits my roof.

There are plenty of testimonials about high amounts of acceleration produced by the Plaid's Roadster inspired drive units. But it takes a true car guy, to mass produce a vehicle with this kind of power and have it do so reliably. Hundreds of repetitions at WOT down a sticky dragstrip and no snapped driveline parts is a great accomplishment. This seems to be lost on many as typically cars approaching these power levels have needed to be wrenched on, constantly. The drivetrain in these cars seems to be engineered to take the abuse of constant floggings.

Here are a few personal observation:

The Plaid "inspires" calmness in Pony cars around it. Just like people tend not mouth off around Mike Tyson, stoplight behavior from drivers of Mustang GTs, Corvettes, Dodge Chargers /Challengers etc seems greatly improved. No revving engines, burnouts, posturing or screeching tires just subtle roll to the posted speed limit. Anybody else notice this?

The Plaid brakes better than every car in its weight class, as well as many lighter "sports cars." According to the data I gathered from Car and Driver's braking distance testing, the Model S stops equally or shorter than the following cars: BMW M3, BMW M5, Hellcat Redeye, Audi R8, Mustang Shelby GT500, Volkswagen GTi, Camaro SS, Toyota Supra, Taycan Turbo S, Audi e-Tron GT, Porsche Panamera Turbo S and the Audi RS6 Avant.

The yoke is Awesome. The yoke is the only flashy or exotic aspect on the new Model S that may give you the impression that the car is special. People ask about it constantly and it is the first thing they want to try when they sit inside the car. It is also safer as it ensures your wrist and elbows wont be in a position to be broken in the event of a frontal airbag deployment. The yoke is far easier to maintain autopilot with as it sits lower than a wheel allowing you to rest your elbows on both armrests and still maintain contact. Just as Tesla's large center screen is being copied now, I believe other OEMs will be releasing upper tiered vehicles with yokes instead of wheels. Admittedly it's not as impressive as the full carbon yoke in the McLaren 650s GT3 but sacrifices must be made to keep the Tesla daily drivable.

The gaming experience is Incredible. I believe the gamer style seats, the 21 speaker sounds system and the Playstaion 5 level GPU make for a very immersive gaming experience. I don't think anybody can argue the fact that the Plaid has the best and most powerful gaming/ UI ever installed into a mass production vehicle.

But don't take it from me.....Jason Cammisa is arguably the highest regarded automotive journalist of our time and he seems to agree.

The Plaid brakes better than every car in its weight class, as well as many lighter "sports cars." According to the data I gathered from Car and Driver's braking distance testing, the Model S stops equally or shorter than the following cars: BMW M3, BMW M5, Hellcat Redeye, Audi R8, Mustang Shelby GT500, Volkswagen GTi, Camaro SS, Toyota Supra, Taycan Turbo S, Audi e-Tron GT, Porsche Panamera Turbo S and the Audi RS6 Avant.

Maybe the first time. But the brakes aren't up to the task of continued heavy use, which sets them behind many of the cars you mentioned.

Brake fade happens fast. Tesla Plaid Brakes Catch On Fire After Several Stops From 100 MPH

Is it common in everyday driving to accelerate to 100+ then mash the brakes repeatedly? I would think not. 99.9% of us will never take a 4-door sedan to the track or private drag strip either so, other than some youtube idiots or rag writers looking to sensationalize content, this is a non-issue for me and probably 99.999999% of owners.

There are multiple threads about this in this section. There is one thread which is on page 29 Discussing this.

The brakes are horrible. The pedal firmness is horrible even for daily driving.

A few hard stops, and they start to fade. And you do not have to go 100 mph to get fade. After 3 hard stops from 60mph, there is mild fade.

It appears the main problem the compound of the pads which is a cheap fix. I have aftermarket pads sitting in a box that I plan to put on the stock rotors soon.

Is it common in everyday driving to accelerate to 100+ then mash the brakes repeatedly? I would think not. 99.9% of us will never take a 4-door sedan to the track or private drag strip either so, other than some youtube idiots or rag writers looking to sensationalize content, this is a non-issue for me and probably 99.999999% of owners.

Glad it's a non issue for you. Others might argue that a 5000 lb sedan with 1000+ horsepower needs more substantial braking power than it has. All of Tesla's competitors think so, at least. For example, the Plaid's brakes are significantly smaller than the Taycan, which is lighter, less powerful, and slower.

The Plaid "inspires" calmness in Pony cars around it. Just like people tend not mouth off around Mike Tyson, stoplight behavior from drivers of Mustang GTs, Corvettes, Dodge Chargers /Challengers etc seems greatly improved. No revving engines, burnouts, posturing or screeching tires just subtle roll to the posted speed limit. Anybody else notice this?

Absolutely noticed this. I had a C8 next to my left, and an RS7 to my right, and neither wanted to get smoked off the line.

Brakes are pretty weak compared to most other performance cars.

The gaming experience is Incredible. I believe the gamer style seats, the 21 speaker sounds system and the Playstaion 5 level GPU make for a very immersive gaming experience. I don't think anybody can argue the fact that the Plaid has the best and most powerful gaming/ UI ever installed into a mass production vehicle.
What?
I mean sure, you can play sonic super well... except for the shoddy controller support and the poor ergonomics.
Are you basing that on what Tesla says it can play or what is actually out? I don't understand how they are possibly still advertising Witcher 3.

It sounds like you haven't actually used a Plaid.

What?
I mean sure, you can play sonic super well... except for the shoddy controller support and the poor ergonomics.
Are you basing that on what Tesla says it can play or what is actually out? I don't understand how they are possibly still advertising Witcher 3.

It sounds like you haven't actually used a Plaid.

IMO, it's ridiculous that "gaming experience" is a factor in buying a VEHICLE. Does not compute. The German in me is smoking out of the ears.

Add a basic game or two to pass time at a charger? Sure, fine, I guess. I already have a phone with games, but whatever. When they start taxing the MCU with full scope games.....good lord fellas, just go inside and play on your Xbox and 65" TV that you can sit in front of.

It's ridiculous that I should have to worry about an OTA update to a video game for my car causing a fault that prevents me from driving (as has happened before).

Reactions: jaguar36
IMO, it's ridiculous that "gaming experience" is a factor in buying a VEHICLE. Does not compute. The German in me is smoking out of the ears.

Add a basic game or two to pass time at a charger? Sure, fine, I guess. I already have a phone with games, but whatever. When they start taxing the MCU with full scope games.....good lord fellas, just go inside and play on your Xbox and 65" TV that you can sit in front of.

It's ridiculous that I should have to worry about an OTA update to a video game for my car causing a fault that prevents me from driving (as has happened before).
65"? Why would I downgrade? 😁

This is not and was never promoted as a track vehicle. I’ve blasted my Plaid a bunch around town and never felt the brakes were insufficient. I have done a little track work and know that serious folks usually upgrade with aftermarket pads, rotors, etc. Not even remotely correct to compare stopping to a GT3, Z06 or any other track oriented cars. The only claim Tesla made was acceleration. 0-60 doesn’t need ceramic brakes around town. You just don’t build up enough speed to be a problem and wouldn’t be going into a hard turn needing to slow down like you would at a track. The stock brakes are fine for around town.