Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Plaid throws multiple codes/errors at start up.. requires sleep reset..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So since I go my Plaid, a few times when getting in the car ive gotten a dashboard of errors, losing suspension, power steering, etc etc..

Ive read about this happening to some others, so I took my car to the dealer and it appears the culprit has been found. Apparently when opening the door, the main computer turns on..when pressing the brake the car turns on its main systems. If you do these both too quickly (in my case, opening the door and stepping on the brake pedal as im getting in) it can cause the computers to glitch throwing all the codes.. It appears there is a new part number already for the "actuator pump" which delays/speeds up the process so they dont glitch each other.. This seems to only be an issue of very early deliveries.. For now, just get in the car and give it a second before touching the brake..

Hope this helps anyone else with the issue.. I havent had mine corrected yet as they need the part, but it seems almost definite as the cause behind it.. Also if this does happen the car needs to go into a full sleep mode (about 20-30 min) to fully reset.. simply locking or powering down the car or doing a manual reset does not fix the issue.. Only when the car has slept and re-starts everything does it clear the error and everything goes back to normal.

Cheers!

• Informative
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
On Friday 29th October I returned back from work, parked my Model S P85 at my parking space. On Sunday 31st October at 7pm I wanted to take care of some errands and got into the car. The display cluster behind the wheel showed multiple warning messages like Traction disabled, speed restricted, etc. and I couldn't put the car in Drive mode at all. I noticed that there was an OTA update installed at 6:4pm just 15 minutes before I got in. I did a power cycle, turned off, restarted - all usual stuff, nothing worked. I called Tesla roadside assistance, they asked me to repeat the exact same steps that I've already performed, I repeated them once again, this time, giving a lot of time between shut off and trying to start the car again. All electronics came up and on, except that the car was not drivable. I couldn't move it out of parking (reverse, forward, etc.). The roadside assistance team was messaging me through the App and the 'advanced tech team' tried to install another fix on Monday 1st November morning, but that update failed. They finally said I need to tow the car to service center. Since the car is 'out of warranty' they said they would charge me for the tow. I called AAA and had them tow the car that afternoon. Tesla App showed an ETA of car getting ready on Thursday 4th November at 5:45pm. I messaged them at 5:30pm as there was no confirmation and I received a response saying they need 'more time' to look into it as they have a lot of backlog. 5 days later I received a Uber credit for my use. On 8th November (this evening), I received a call from Service Center requesting approval for 3 hours of effort for diagnostics by technician (~$600). The person who called said she would be in touch for 'further approvals' as they continue to check the issue.

So basically a car which was just running fine got messed up because of an OTA and had to be towed at my expense; had to be diagnosed at my expense and I don't even know what they would come up with for the fix! Why should I even pay a dime for this is just beyond me. The simple answer is 'the car is out of warranty'. But I wasn't driving it and nothing failed when I was driving it the previous week. How am I responsible for a buggy OTA that bricked the car? I'm not only disappointed, but extremely worried that this is not going to be the first and last time. Like any gadget, the car could completely fail anytime with no warnings and it's not going to be a cost-effective fix.

• Funny
Reactions: Wol747 and bhzmark