TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla planning a Chinese manufacturing plant in the "next 3-4 years"

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Twiddler, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

2. tigerade

tigerade Member

Good lord, the comments on that article are awful.

But interesting news, thanks for sharing.

3. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Does Musk really mean what he says, or does he just say something to please his audience ?

4. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

Are we thinking this will be something like Tilburg?

5. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

People have doubted Elon's statements in the past, and have been proven wrong.

Sometimes they don't come through on the small details, but so far they always do on the big ones.

6. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

With Elon Musk the general rules are:
    (1) Believe what he's saying: his past record suggests he means it, quite literally at times.
    (2) Ignore when he's saying: take any timeline he gives and double it.

China is such a huge potential market and has such strong protectionism that they'd definitely look to put manufacturing there. It'd lower costs significantly in the Chinese market and that market has huge potential.

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

(3) Don't bet on either unless you're the willing-to-lose-it-all gambler type.

8. jgallops

jgallops Not so Well Known Member

Isn't there some sort of requirement from the Chinese government that in order to manufacture, you must have a Chinese partner? Also, the "partner" gets your technology?

If this is still true, there may be a downside here.

9. techmaven

techmaven Active Member

If you take his comments from an engineer's perspective, it makes sense. The broad outlines what he is communicating and they've already worked many of the details out. However, sometimes people/governments/issues are more intractable or things just don't work out the way one envisioned. Therefore, things usually take longer and occasionally, one has to change strategy altogether.

I believe that he believes right now that they will be looking to build Tesla's in China in that timeframe. Often, he doesn't seem to have the PR filter that many people in his position often does and so his statements are often far more frank.

10. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

If they do final assembly in China they don't have to share their pack and drivetrain technology.

No doubt Chinese companies (and others) have already taken cars apart to see how they work.

11. green1

green1 Active Member

I believe China was only willing to give it's EV rebate/discount/whatever it is to EVs built in China, so that would explain the plant there (that, and the shipping and import costs right now when they expect China to be their largest market)

12. xdguo

xdguo Member

It seems the supercharger is going to be set up in Beijing, here comes the pictures, I believe that Elon will give more details about it this afternoon at the delivery ceremony in Beijing.

sc1.JPG

sc2.JPG

13. Bgarret

Bgarret Model S ownin' Michigan scofflaw

I know we tend to parse Elon's statements more than most, and I didn't read the original, but didn't he say a "manufacturing" plant in China in 3-4 years. It's Yahoo and others who said they would build cars. I think it would make sense to build a battery factory in China in expectation of Gen III. If you got China to buy in on helping to finance factory #1 in the US with the promise of factory #2 in China for electric cars and battery backup for rooftop solar - now wouldn't that be a hoot.