Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla planning subscription service for FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I've always dismissed the idea of FSD as a subscription service but it looks like Tesla actually is planning for FSD to be a subscription service at some point.

Green says he found the code for it:

IwNAAvo.png

And Elon seems to confirm it:

Yx61n1R.png

Tesla has a Full Self-Driving subscription feature hidden in its vehicles' source code

I wonder if the subscription service will be tied to the robotaxi Tesla Network somehow? Or maybe an option for people leasing their cars?

There's really no good business case for "rental" of these features if Tesla seriously believes they will get L5 driving anytime soon.

If they can do that $7000 would be a steal and a half so renting it by the month makes no sense.

On the other hand, if they expect they're not going to get beyond L2 (maybe L3 highway) in the next couple of years- then maybe capturing revenue for the occasional local driver going on a road trip, who'd never otherwise drop 7k, starts to make some sense.

IOW if they do actually roll this out I don't see how it's anything but Really Bad for folks hoping to see L4/L5 on existing Teslas.

I am on my 4th Tesla and have paid for full self driving each time. A subscription service would have saved me a lot of money and wish it would have been an option.
Agree. I’m only on my first but like to trade often. The idea of having to pay 7K each time actually keeps me from trading to a new vehicle sooner. I’d also like to see an FSD rollover option (perpetual license tied to the owner rather than the car). Tesla might need to do this in the future as a loyalty mechanism if we ever see any true competitors in the marketplace. Cadillac EVs with Supercruise might be it.