Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Planning to Triple Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As the number of Tesla vehicles on the road continues to swell, the company is giving some serious consideration to its charging network.

On the company’s Q3 earnings call, the company said it plans to triple the size of its charging network around the world.

“We are executing on accelerating expansion plans globally,” said Drew Baglino, Tesla’s senior vice president of powertrain and battery engineering. “The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years. And even so on an individual-site basis to combat existing congestion more quickly where it is isolated and problematic, we expedite local relief sites, deploy mobile Superchargers, and we try to introduce pricing strategies that encourage more off-peak usage to avoid the waiting.”

Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers at 3,254 locations around the world. In addition to serving Tesla vehicles, the company recently announced that the network will also accommodate electric vehicles from other automakers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if Tesla ends up replacing most gas stations with charging stations. Add a few cents profit per kWh and that business could be hugely profitable.

I don't think this will happen. I just can't imagine us *needing* as many charging stations as gas stations. Most driving will use home charging. Our major thruways in NY have gas station rest areas though... sure could use EV charging at every one of them. Sad that it hasn't already happened, they have very large parking lots with large facilities... seems like an easy installation.

Who knows if this means actual LOCATIONS or actual SUPERCHARGERS.. that said, while there is some predicted growth in the USA already (and may financial incentives to come that the company can tap into) I doubt that much more than current planned will come Stateside, and the majority of X or Y (locations or Stations) will be OUTSIDE NA, and in China, Europe, South America maybe. While it’s not often a good bet to bet AGAINST Elon over the long run, over the medium term I’ll say I doubt they get 3x the SC’s in 36 months,, I’ll even give’em 40 months.. My $1 is on the table already.

Who knows if this means actual LOCATIONS or actual SUPERCHARGERS.. that said, while there is some predicted growth in the USA already (and may financial incentives to come that the company can tap into) I doubt that much more than current planned will come Stateside, and the majority of X or Y (locations or Stations) will be OUTSIDE NA, and in China, Europe, South America maybe. While it’s not often a good bet to bet AGAINST Elon over the long run, over the medium term I’ll say I doubt they get 3x the SC’s in 36 months,, I’ll even give’em 40 months.. My $1 is on the table already.
Not Really said:
When asked about current filling current glaring holes in the US network, Tesla responded "You mean the Midwest?". When we pointed to I-26, they responded "Oh, that's a special case. Myrtle Beach is paying us to stop people going to Charleston."

Reactions: atswimtwoirds
Is CA problem with superchargers bc a lot of Tesla owners live in condos/apt and can’t afford house to charge in?
Or convenience. I Supercharge when I see one in a store parking lot. A lot of Targets have them, as my local Home Depot, and the Outlet Megamall. Cost-wise it is pretty much the same as charging at home if I have to buy power from the utility.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
A supercharger or public AC charger?
Supercharger. We have a lot of them. There a 5 Supercharger locations within 20 miles of my house and one more coming, maybe. The one at the outlet mall has 20 stalls, the Target has 10 or 12, Tesla SC has 12, and Home Depot has 10 or 8. In addition to Tesla Superchargers, the Outlet Mall also has Electrify America, which includes a 350 kW unit for Taycans and other super-fast charging EVs.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I don’t see how it is more convenient than charge home at night.
When you are out shopping or pickup you some food you also charge. It is just another option that is always available. And the more charging options the better.

And for people without garages. or do not want to go through the expense of installing a charger in their garage, it is extremely convenient. And removes a barrier from Tesla ownership which is a good thing.