Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Planning to Triple Supercharger Network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

As the number of Tesla vehicles on the road continues to swell, the company is giving some serious consideration to its charging network.

On the company’s Q3 earnings call, the company said it plans to triple the size of its charging network around the world.

“We are executing on accelerating expansion plans globally,” said Drew Baglino, Tesla’s senior vice president of powertrain and battery engineering. “The network has doubled in the last 18 months, and we are planning to triple it over the next two years. And even so on an individual-site basis to combat existing congestion more quickly where it is isolated and problematic, we expedite local relief sites, deploy mobile Superchargers, and we try to introduce pricing strategies that encourage more off-peak usage to avoid the waiting.”

Tesla currently has about 29,281 Superchargers at 3,254 locations around the world. In addition to serving Tesla vehicles, the company recently announced that the network will also accommodate electric vehicles from other automakers. 

Last edited by a moderator:
When you are out shopping or pickup you some food you also charge. It is just another option that is always available. And the more charging options the better.

And for people without garages. or do not want to go through the expense of installing a charger in their garage, it is extremely convenient. And removes a barrier from Tesla ownership which is a good thing.
California's tiered pricing also makes it an exceptional market as for some people marginal electricity cost is extremely high

Grocery stores are a great location for DCFC and destination charging. I expect more chains to get on board with hosting.

When you are out shopping or pickup you some food you also charge. It is just another option that is always available. And the more charging options the better.

And for people without garages. or do not want to go through the expense of installing a charger in their garage, it is extremely convenient. And removes a barrier from Tesla ownership which is a good thing.
And block chargers for people who travel and need them. Got you.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and nwdiver
And block chargers for people who travel and need them. Got you.
There are other Superchargers on the major interstates where most people travel long distances. And at least 2 locations by me are the max 72 kW "urban" chargers that are not as useful for people traveling, but fine for people popping in and out. Most chargers doubt the per kWh rates at high usage periods to discourage people from charging too much and also charge a $1 to $2 per minute idle fee for typing up a spot.

In general, people are pretty good about not typing them up. But there is always one person that thinks they are special.

bay area needs more superchargers, especially with the plan to open up to other EVs..
I think this is going to be limited to Europe for the foreseeable future, the current US utilization rate is way too high to risk opening it up. Europe's utilization rate is apparently quite low (unsurprising given that most trips there are within range) so could be a nice profit generator.

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Pretty desperate need for superchargers in RI. Seems like existing locations keep getting more. E. Greenwich RI is the only location in New England with a reliably long wait and regularly out-of-service stalls. There has been one more near RI (Seekonk) now on the books for >1000 days in prep.

IIRC Tesla made some high traffic superchargers along critical routes free during off-peak holiday travel times. Seems like this could be a good strategy to increase the usage factor and avoid needed to expand the network.
Check out the expansion of Harris Ranch on I-5 between the Bay Area and LA.

There is also the 40-stall Kettleman City Supercharger 60 miles down I-5.

Who knows if this means actual LOCATIONS or actual SUPERCHARGERS.. that said, while there is some predicted growth in the USA already (and may financial incentives to come that the company can tap into) I doubt that much more than current planned will come Stateside, and the majority of X or Y (locations or Stations) will be OUTSIDE NA, and in China, Europe, South America maybe. While it’s not often a good bet to bet AGAINST Elon over the long run, over the medium term I’ll say I doubt they get 3x the SC’s in 36 months,, I’ll even give’em 40 months.. My $1 is on the table already.
Yeah I tend to agree that a lot of this is going to be outside the US, but my guess is it will be 50/50.

Is CA problem with superchargers bc a lot of Tesla owners live in condos/apt and can’t afford house to charge in?
I think that you hit it on the head here. I’ve seen apartment buildings starting to add chargers, but it is fairly rare. You are right, not to get in too deep in this conversation, but someone making $150k/year and can easily afford a model Y or 3 and wants it, won’t be able to buy a $2 million house in a half-decent neighborhood of the Bay Area or LA/SD.
I haven’t read the whole bill, but I actually think that part of the infamous infrastructure bill should include incentives for HOAs/apartment buildings to add chargers to their lots, if it’s not already in there. Could be huge for adoption for people who don’t have a driveway or can’t charge at work.

Is Tesla going to sell an adapter?
They are going to add them to the Supercharger stations.

Non-Tesla owners will park, pull up the stall number in their app and start it up via the app, then plug in. They detailed this at the Q2 earnings call.

I suspect the whole non-Tesla angle is to get access to funding from the infrastructure bill which requires the stations support multi-vendors.

Reactions: Rocky_H and WhiteWi
Lets see when it actually launches 🤣
My feeling on this is that the only reason they are offering this now is because they want to cash in on the infrastructure plan. So “when” will likely be whenever they can start tapping into that $7.5 billion in government incentives to build out the program.

That’s a whole lot of motivation to open up their network.

Reactions: house9 and jboy210
Game over
"Tesla planning" means nothing. Tesla is planning an SDK for 3rd party apps for MCU since 2013. They are planning to have a new Roadster in 2020. They are planning to have Tesla Ridesharing Network operational by end of 2017. They are planning to demo a driverless FSD coast to coast by end of 2017. Elon is certain robotaxis will be on the road by end of 2020 (he still said so in October 2020). Tesla is planning a Model S Plaid+ which will beat Lucid in range and power. Yep, all great plans. Tesla plans really cannot be beaten, if you come up with a better one, they will plan even better (like the Plaid+ announcement which surprise surprise came right after Lucid announcing their range and power). I'm sure they are planning to build a time machine to fulfill all those promises. Yawn.

• Love
  • Funny
Reactions: BooMan and Rocky_H
"Tesla planning" means nothing. Tesla is planning an SDK for 3rd party apps for MCU since 2013. They are planning to have a new Roadster in 2020. They are planning to have Tesla Ridesharing Network operational by end of 2017. They are planning to demo a driverless FSD coast to coast by end of 2017. Elon is certain robotaxis will be on the road by end of 2020 (he still said so in October 2020). Tesla is planning a Model S Plaid+ which will beat Lucid in range and power. Yep, all great plans. Tesla plans really cannot be beaten, if you come up with a better one, they will plan even better (like the Plaid+ announcement which surprise surprise came right after Lucid announcing their range and power). I'm sure they are planning to build a time machine to fulfill all those promises. Yawn.
Oh wait who has better supercharger network already in place in US? I will wait