Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Plans Model Y Deliveries in Q1, Adds Range and Wheel Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

The Model Y is the next big thing for Tesla. Chief Elon Musk has said he expects the all electric SUV to outsell all of the automaker’s other offerings.

Among Tesla’s announcements during Wednesday’s Q4 earnings call were some exciting updates on the Model Y.

Production and Delivery

Tesla said in its Q4 update that Model Y production ramp started in January. Deliveries are are expected to begin in March, which is ahead of the company’s original delivery projections of fall 2020. 

“The ramp of Model Y will be gradual as we will be adding additional machinery in various production shops,” Tesla said in its update. “After such expansions are done by mid-2020, installed combined Model 3 and Model Y capacity should reach 500,000 units per year.”

Range Boost

Tesla announced that it has increased Model Y all-wheel drive EPA range to 315 miles from 280 miles. 

“This extends Model Y’s lead as the most energy efficient electric SUV in the world,” Tesla said in its update.

Wheels

The Model Y will come standard with the 19-inch “Gemini” wheels, but there will be two more options. 

Screen-Shot-2020-01-30-at-10.10.59-AM.png
Gemini wheels

Screen-Shot-2020-01-30-at-10.11.39-AM.png
Induction wheels

A set of 20-inch “Induction” wheels can be added for $2,000 on the Model Y Long Range Dual Motor and Performance versions.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-30-at-10.12.34-AM.png
Überturbine wheels

Additionally, Tesla has an option to outfit the Model Y with 21-inch “Überturbine” wheels, which resemble the “turbine” wheels first shown on the Model 3 prototype. The option is available as part of the Performance version, which also includes a higher top speed, performance brakes, lowered suspension, and aluminum alloy pedals.

How will you configure your Model Y?

Last edited by a moderator:
The performance wheels appear to be 21" on the configurator, and I want either the 19s or 20s for future tire purchase options. Hopefully their specs aren't changing as I type this (they seem to be changing a lot...). "21s only" would keep me from the performance model Y purchase.

I hope Elon & Co. offer that copper color for the Y. I just wish that the front end were distinctively different from the 3's guppy face. In fact, I'm rethinking getting a Y and considering a Cybertruck instead, theoretically for about the same $$$$$.