Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Plans Original Cars for Berlin, Shanghai Factories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans to build two newly-designed vehicles to be produced at the company’s Berlin and Shanghai factories, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Twitter.

The comment comes after Musk told investors at the recent Battery Day that the company intends to build a new vehicle with a $25,000 price tag.

It’s not clear if the most affordable vehicle in Tesla’s lineup would be available worldwide or just in the country it’s built.

Musk continues to make references to designing cars for specific regional markets. For instance, he has said that the company will leverage a design center based in China to create a new vehicle at Giga Shanghai. Tesla announced in June it was holding a contest for the China-designed car.

“I think something that would be super cool would be to – and so we’re gonna do it, we’re gonna try to do it – would be to create a China design and engineering center to actually design an original car in China for worldwide consumption,” Musk said. “I think this will be very exciting.”

Musk also said at Battery Day that the company may build a smaller version of the hulking Cybertruck for international markets.

Tesla already has a backlog of promised vehicles – Cybertruck, Semi, and Roadster expected to go into production in the next year.

What would you like to see in a newly-designed, affordable Tesla?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla Will face a lot of push back for junk made in china. If that is the grand plan, I will not be supporting Tesla Products. Have we not learned anything about the CHICOMS over the past months!

lol, are you using an iPhone or maybe a Google Pixel ? Look around you in your house, forget the clothing and low end house items, name a high tech product that's made in USA....

• Informative
Reactions: Brando
Tesla will make the "skateboard", the part of the car that includes power, braking, steering, suspension, etc.

Smaller plants will take care of the relative simplicity of assembling upper bodies and will allow regional and local manufacturers to flourish. Instead of large, dedicated ships transporting 8,500 cars on 13 decks between Yokohama and Mombasa, for instance, we will see regular container ships off-loading standard 40-foot “boxes”, each of them stuffed with 8 to 12 skateboards delivered like any other merchandise. There will be no more need for 10,000-space parking lots to accommodate a single shipment of cars. Components will arrive in containers before they are loaded onto a semi-truck to go to the assembly plants, large or small, that are a few miles away.

Finally, a post with sense and sensibility

• Funny
Maybe so. But most of the people who chat with me about my Model 3 are more interested in the interior space, ride and comfort plus price. Range is, perhaps surprisingly, a distant second. The demographic is owners living in urban or suburban areas, at least 55 years old and either use the car as a utility or have some interest in the expense equation. Some still have commutes and are interested in the driving dynamics and cost to operate, while others want to know whether the trunk will hold 4 golf bags (retirees). Priuses sell well. So, a less expen$ive 'runabout town' version of the car would sell well here in retirement land. I've mentioned the Tesla used car program to several, and I think one of my golf buddies is buying one.

Curious, do they have 1 or more cars? I find that most people who don't have range anxiety when discussing EV usually have two cars and instead of a commuter/sports/convertible, the novel car can be an EV.

Er...... no. If you mean smaller compact car like civic? Then maybe

but 25,000 sounds like a Leaf or Smart or Mini size car which is proven that US buyers don’t care much for. Same reason why Ford decided to give up all passenger cars

that’s why CyberTruck will be built in Texas.

Yes, exactly like a Civic in hatchback form. Ford decided to give up on passenger cars because frankly they were all trash, except for their Ford Performance versions and those who want performance are few and far between.

Tesla hatchback Compact, Model 3, Model Y, CT, Model X and Model S.

The Tesla Brand is up there with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Lexus now. If BMW and Mercedes can get away with selling FWD semi luxury vehicles than Tesla can take that market with a RWD Compact, its a no brainer especially with the California law that just passed. Just a matter of time.

Eventually most entry level Tesla models will be made in China for the USA market. They are starting to copy Apple in the designed in California and cost effectively assembled in China approach. Tesla Model 2 is coming from China.
Did you forget, Trump put 25% import fee on China Products.
FSD made by Samsung Austin, TX. complex circuit board makers all moved to China - se Tesla must send chips to China where they assemble the FSD board - and pays 25% import fee to bring back. Tried to get waiver, but Trump said NO.

I'm not so sure. China is no longer a lowest cost producer, and it is relatively expensive to ship a car across the ocean. Most car companies now produce on the same continent as the customer. I'd expect the 2s for Asian markets to be made in China, a slightly different 2 for NA to be made in Texas or Mexico (or maybe Canada) and a slightly different 2 for Europe to come from Germany.

Fremont will be for motors, parts, some S and X until they can either up the quality of that plant, or entirely automate it. Sad, but Tesla was able to buy that factory at a huge discount for a reason.
Elon explained, shipping risky, expensive, takes time (very bad for cash flow).
So all cars made should be made where they are sold. Only way to expand fast enough.

Reactions: CyberGus and CSFTN
What all the reporters fail to understand is that Elon said zero about where the China and Germany designed vehicles will be built. Everyone assumes that each will be for their own markets. Almost certainly the local factories will be first to produce the new designs, but they're both to be products of the Design Studios not the factories.
I'll happily bet large sums that both will be built in multiple factories in multiple countries, including ones not yet announced.

Eventually most entry level Tesla models will be made in China for the USA market. They are starting to copy Apple in the designed in California and cost effectively assembled in China approach. Tesla Model 2 is coming from China.
The next few years will tell but ordinarily speaking the US market for smallish vehicles is very poor. The statistics were enough for VW not to bring the ID3 to the US. The Model 3 is too small for many customers that are, or will be, choosing the Model Y. That size Tesla is hitting the right spot of Americans. Thanks

Tesla Will face a lot of push back for junk made in china. If that is the grand plan, I will not be supporting Tesla Products. Have we not learned anything about the CHICOMS over the past months!

99% sure you are using a China made device to post this nonsense.
China can produce some pretty high-tech and bullet proof stuff, as long as you pay for it. Do not for a minute think the cheap ali express bs stands for everything what China produces or can produce.

Which makes sense. Musk should bring those complex circuit board makers back. Offer them more money, contracts like sports.
Not even Texas Instruments could do the circuit board. Elon didn't send Samsung - Austin, TX - made FSD chip to China to save a few bucks - he could NOT find a US circuit board maker that COULD do the job.

side note: Elon even paid more for US made steel for the Nevada GigaFactory. Elon driven by mission & quality - not greed. He makes a margin, re-invests to build more - brings down MSRP when ever cost savings are realized. Compare 2012 P85D to 2020 P100D - do internet search to find a review.

Cost savings by volume increases. Legacy auto doesn't do that, they concentrate on profits - asking more money.
consider the Volt power train in the Caddy - didn't sell much - priced way too high, right?

GM continues downward trend - 53% market share down to 17% - but Wall St. Harvard educated MBAs seem happy. Ford borrows money to keep dividends high - Wall St. fine with that. What is Ford debt now ??