Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Plans Software Update to Cater to Campers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla plans to update its vehicles with a “party & camper mode” to make it more comfortable for owners using their electric car for shelter, Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted.

Tesla released a software update last year that allowed Climate Control tor run for an extended period of time while the vehicle is parked, but the new feature would take that concept further.

The feature would enable Tesla vehicles to maintain air flow, temperature, selective lights, music, and  power devices for 48 hours or more while parked. “Big batteries rock,” Musk said.

Musk didn’t provide further details or a timeline for the update.

Do you use your Tesla for camping?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and yes, thank you for the climate control. Last year in August at Yosemite my daughter and I slept in trunk up at Bridlewood Creek and it was 30 degrees. I kept on getting cold, waking up and turning heat back on. People in tents from Europe froze their bums off thinking it would not be that cold but we were up so high. Driving down and my car charging using regenerative braking was so cool. I almost had full battery and in that case I think I would have lost regen braking. SCARY...for spoiled Tesla Model S driver like me :)

• Love
Reactions: Jaywlker
Wondering if this will work with one or more doors (or rear hatch) open? I have a tent that attaches to the rear of my S. Would be nice to be able to keep all of that on with door/s open.
campingS.jpg

There IS already a workaround for this though. I used this config at a RV site, plugged in to the 50 amp connection. Electric stayed on all night long.
The trick is to take a long thin object (think coat hangar) and once you have the liftgate opened, trick it into thinking its closed by tripping the latch. Viola, your AC stays on all night long.

Happy (Tesla) Camping!

Reactions: Jaywlker
If Tesla wants to support camping how about some SC's located at national parks? That way they can't run out of juice.
I presume you mean destination chargers. Plugging in for an extended period (a weekend) is not a huge stretch from overnight charging (though a RV 14-50 is a better choice).

Superchargers are definitely not intended to be plugged in for such extended periods.

Wondering if this will work with one or more doors (or rear hatch) open? I have a tent that attaches to the rear of my S. Would be nice to be able to keep all of that on with door/s open.View attachment 322123

There IS already a workaround for this though. I used this config at a RV site, plugged in to the 50 amp connection. Electric stayed on all night long.
The trick is to take a long thin object (think coat hangar) and once you have the liftgate opened, trick it into thinking its closed by tripping the latch. Viola, your AC stays on all night long.

Happy (Tesla) Camping!
What type and brand of tent?