Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Plans to Expand FSD Beta Rollout Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla plans next month a wider rollout of its Full Self-Driving Beta software with an “Autosteer on city streets” feature, Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted.

The self-driving software enables Tesla vehicles for features like Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control.

Additionally, Musk also said that the next round of updates will be significant.

“FSD beta build V8.1 normally drives me around with no interventions,” Musk tweeted. “Next version is a big step change beyond that. Tesla is solving a major part of real-world AI. This is not widely known.”

Musk also said this week that Tesla will offer FSD as a subscription. The move might entice some owners to try the self-driving package before they commit the $10,000 to install FSD.

Tesla has not yet announced the price for an FSD subscription, but the rollout of a more polished version of FSD may be timed perfectly alongside the pay-as-you-go option.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Tesla plans next month a wider rollout of its Full Self-Driving Beta software with an “Autosteer on city streets” feature, Chief Executive Elon Musk tweeted. The self-driving software enables Tesla vehicles for features like Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Lane Change, Autopark, Summon, and Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control. Yes, beta will be offered much...
[WPURI="https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2021/03/03/tesla-plans-to-expand-fsd-beta-rollout-next-month/"]READ FULL ARTICLE[/WPURI]

E144D76D-1529-47A7-9064-CD7239664FD2.gif

As a Tesla newb a while back someone schooled me about Elon's promises: "Square his estimates and halve your expectations" and you'll be less disappointed.

I figure "next month" is 4 weeks. 4 weeks squared = 16 weeks. So I think in about four months (early July) we'll get part of FSD - maybe right turns on city streets after driver confirmation. The use of the weasel word "hopefully" isn't encouraging. It's only used to temper expectations without being blunt...

"Hopefully, we got all of the cancer."
"Hopefully, we'll see some brain activity on the EEG."
"Hopefully, the team can score 10 touchdowns in the fourth quarter and catch up."
"Hopefully, Gamestop will go to the moon."

There is one way @ElonMusk could really grab some much deserved attention for the future potential of AI and FSD. He could develop a road rally car, replacing the role of the co-driver who pre-records all the twists, turns, and speeds of the road ahead and calls them out to the driver. FSD could instead record the road and use its recorded data to drive the car itself. Imagine the shock of two drivers starting a rally, but at the finish there is no one in the car.

As a Tesla newb a while back someone schooled me about Elon's promises: "Square his estimates and halve your expectations" and you'll be less disappointed.

I figure "next month" is 4 weeks. 4 weeks squared = 16 weeks. So I think in about four months (early July) we'll get part of FSD - maybe right turns on city streets after driver confirmation. The use of the weasel word "hopefully" isn't encouraging. It's only used to temper expectations without being blunt...

"Hopefully, the team can score 10 touchdowns in the fourth quarter and catch up."
30^2 = 900 days. I'm looking forward to, "But officer, the car was driving itself into the tree." But mostly, I want to see what the insurance companies do. That will be the true test of whether the FSD is to be trusted.

There is one way @ElonMusk could really grab some much deserved attention for the future potential of AI and FSD. He could develop a road rally car, replacing the role of the co-driver who pre-records all the twists, turns, and speeds of the road ahead and calls them out to the driver. FSD could instead record the road and use its recorded data to drive the car itself. Imagine the shock of two drivers starting a rally, but at the finish there is no one in the car.
The Dakar Rally would be perfect. They could set up automatic charging at pit stops
Dakar-rally-Taarifa.jpg

I think it will be interesting when we see the 360 video system. ...just from what I've seen, even the current system with TACC, the system really struggles with going around sharp corners. The beta testers all seem to talk about stalling in intersections. The current system cannot seem to carry thru a corner that has to sweep between the side cameras and the front cameras without stopping in the middle of the intersection to have another look.

Can this be a sticky?