Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please don't repeat this mistake in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The MS has a design flaw that really needs to be corrected rather than repeated in the Model 3. The flaw is how the MS is locked down when connected to a charger. Obviously we all understand why this feature is present, but being held hostage by the charger has made Tesla owners sitting ducks for thieves. This has resulted in Tesla owners being robbed, and their cars stolen. If not corrected, it will eventually contribute to a Tesla owner losing his life.

There needs to be an override to allow the driver to make the decision to drive anyway even if still plugged in. Even if doing so results in damage to his vehicle and/or the charge cable/adapter.

Some in the crime world already understand that Tesla Owners at Superchargers are easy marks, it won't be long before every hoodlum around sees Superchargers as "fishin holes". And with many SC locations in less than optimal locations, it's a real concern.

This is a simple software fix that could easily be a part of the next update for MS's as well. But, since the M3 hardware is not yet baked, how about making the charge port support a physical disconnect on override? If I override the charge lockout, why not just push the plug out of the port so I can drive away from dangerous situations without having to incur potential damages to my car and/or your SuperCharger?

Could you link records to the incidents you have stated, please! Thanks!

I recall hearing one incident and I believe the bad guys only got as far as the first gas station with the car. These crime world people the OP speaks of need to do a bit more research. None of them are getting very far with a stolen Model S. The last person who had their car stolen (left the fob in the car) was on the phone to the police and telling them exactly where the car was being driven second by second.

How is this any different than being tethered to a gas hose at a gas station?

Totally different, at a gas station I ALWAYS have the option to drive away. Furthermore gas pump hoses are design to breakaway in the event someone does so to minimize pump damage, and while this might also be the case for a SC charge cord, it's a moot point if the owner is caged for the bad-guys by the Tesla software design.

Reactions: SOLARUSA
These crime world people the OP speaks of need to do a bit more research. None of them are getting very far with a stolen Model S.

Totally agree but asking hoodlum scum to do their research first is a bit of a long shot. In the Barstow case, you are right they only got a couple blocks away, but not before <1> Robbing the owner, and <2> Damaging the car. This software change that I'm suggesting could save a future life.

Totally different, at a gas station I ALWAYS have the option to drive away. Furthermore gas pump hoses are design to breakaway in the event someone does so to minimize pump damage, and while this might also be the case for a SC charge cord, it's a moot point if the owner is caged for the bad-guys by the Tesla software design.

So, the two bad guys from the Barstow Model S incident show up while you're pumping gas and you're going to drive away? Really? Okay, let's say you're just the kind of person to risk a possible gas station explosion, and risk the guys shooting at you as you're driving away...I'd then also have to believe you'd simply drive away if you were Supercharging your Model S where there's no risk of an explosion.

This is all too melodramatic for my sensibilities.

Totally agree but asking hoodlum scum to do their research first is a bit of a long shot. In the Barstow case, you are right they only got a couple blocks away, but not before <1> Robbing the owner, and <2> Damaging the car. This software change that I'm suggesting could save a future life.

Wait...you just said in your opening post that the criminals were smart enough to have realized that SuperChargers were fishin' holes, but now they aren't smart enough to know that it's only Teslas at SuperChargers that can be tracked with a simple phone app!?!

A person doesn't need a software change to drive away if they are so inclined. In fact, I'm pretty sure there's already been a picture posted of a damaged SuperCharger from someone pulling away while still attached. Secondarily, what you're suggesting (driving away while someone has a gun pointed at you) also has a chance to get someone killed in the future and certainly your car damaged from a bullet. So, what exactly has changed in the final outcome?

Reactions: Jaff and Craig9080
Wasn't there an incident of a Tesla owner being carjacked at gunpoint while stopped at a red light? Obviously it was a design flaw to have Teslas having to stop at red lights. Tesla better not make that mistake with the Model 3.

While we're at it, we'd better fix the design flaw of the cars not being bulletproof.

Last edited:
Wasn't there an incident of a Tesla owner being carjacked at gunpoint while stopped at a red light? Obviously it was a design flaw to have Teslas having to stop at red lights. Tesla better not make that mistake with the Model 3.

I'm feeling exceedingly concerned for all those people with Volts, Leafs, etc... who have to charge at those slow chargers. They must live in constant fear.

Wait...you just said in your opening post that the criminals were smart enough to have realized that SuperChargers were fishin' holes, but now they aren't smart enough to know that it's only Teslas at SuperChargers that can be tracked with a simple phone app!?!

Dude, really??? This is not a complex concept: A thug who sees a charge cable and therefore knows you are locked down has an advantage over approaching you that he doesn't have over a standard ICE. He doesn't have to be after your car, he may simply be profiling easy targets who can afford Tesla's. This is especially true since unlike many (most?) dino pumps, SC's are not, by default covered by security cameras.

You may chose to read this as "melodrama", but I only hope you are never in a situation where you may wish to exit a situation and find yourself unable to do so.

Reactions: TaoJones
Dude, really??? This is not a complex concept: A thug who sees a charge cable and therefore knows you are locked down has an advantage over approaching you that he doesn't have over a standard ICE. He doesn't have to be after your car, he may simply be profiling easy targets who can afford Tesla's. This is especially true since unlike many (most?) dino pumps, SC's are not, by default covered by security cameras.

No, he doesn't have an advantage. I can drive away attached to a SuperCharger just as I can drive away attached to a gas pump (or a drive-in speaker for that matter). I also have a choice to be proactive; dashcam and the like, awareness of my surroundings, don't set myself up for having to charge in a bad neighborhood/at a high risk time etc...

You may chose to read this as "melodrama", but I only hope you are never in a situation where you may wish to exit a situation and find yourself unable to do so.

Yes, it is melodramatic to me. And I'm quite aware of all the baddies in the world. I do what I can to prevent putting myself in compromising positions, and know how to defend myself in case of trouble.

• Disagree
Reactions: NoEggs
It's just a car, get out and let them take the car.

The thief is going to have to know how to unplug from the charger and while he's trying to figure that out you can do what you need to do. Sit and watch, run and call the cops, tackle the guy take his back and get both leg hooks in and submit him with a rear naked choke, break his elbow with an armbar, flatten him onto the ground and ground and pound. You pick.