Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla: Please don't repeat this mistake in the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How exactly does one drive away from a SC with the cable connected? The one time I was distracted after a charge completed and decided to drive off, I got exactly zero feet with a reminder chime and alert that the cable was still connected. Plus the steering wheel was locked.

The OP's recommendation makes sense. It's called preparation. Better to have the feature and never need it rather than the converse. Also known as a no-brainer, much like the recently-added feature that unlocks only the driver's door. Also requested by many owners.

However, all of the sanctimonious handwringing is somewhat moot because in spite of it, the feature will be implemented in due time. For you see, similar functionality will be necessary to fulfill Elon's prophecy of a car that will be summoned from NYC to LA. The car is not going to disconnect itself without an auto-unlock and disconnect (pop out, for starters, then auto-retrieve) feature. Cue the Barry White music.

The *manual* override feature, remote or otherwise, would be a matter of, by comparison, relatively trivial coding and regression testing.

And about that Barstow carjacking... The fact that they crashed into a gas station, while amusing, is irrelevant. They escaped with the driver's phone, wallet, and watch, none of which were recovered, and said felons were not apprehended for over a week.

To this day, the fence indention (a hole, in common parlance) at Barstow to the left of the well-lit canopy area is just as dark as it was during the carjacking.

I will welcome the override/disconnect feature when Tesla makes it available because thieves will no longer count on cars and drivers being quite the sitting ducks they are today, and because it might come in handy sometime.

Now watch people complain because owners will "abuse the feature". Enter auto-retracting cables. Such a deal.

Oh, okay. I thought I was missing something. You can always start the car at the gas station and drive off but that wouldn't be smart with the gas nozzle in it, as you pointed out.

Exactly.

I'm going to try and be serious for a minute on this topic - though I'm not sure my heart can take it - and acknowledge a very real, yet exceedingly rare outlier situation where an 'emergency eject' button for the charging cable could come in handy. Of course there's a fail safe in the car right now that won't let you drive away while charging because we all know at least one person in our lives who will undoubtedly forget they are attached and drive away. (For those old enough to remember drive-ins, how many speakers sacrificed themselves before radio technology became the standard?) Because of that there can NOT be a 'permanent' override or a 'shut off' of that feature, only an 'emergency eject' that then immediately resets the car to default. In terms of importance to have on a scale of 1 to 10: that'd be a 1.

acknowledge a very real, yet exceedingly rare outlier situation where an 'emergency eject' button for the charging cable could come in handy. Of course there's a fail safe in the car right now that won't let you drive away while (plugged in)
And finally you get to the meat of the reason for the thread (with my adjustment of your quote in parenthesis). Why the detour away from the heart of the expressed concern? This is why threads on TMC wander off into random directions so often.

He has a legitimate point and, frankly, I've been nervous on at least 3 occasions about being a potential victim when supercharging. It's something that can and should be taken seriously by a car company, like Tesla, that puts Safety at the top of the list.

While Tesla can add some kind of override, I don't see this being that big of a deal and that the OP as exaggerating the significance of it. So far there is only one known instance where this had been a factor.

And finally you get to the meat of the reason for the thread (with my adjustment of your quote in parenthesis). Why the detour away from the heart of the expressed concern?

I thought I was quite clear. In fact I know I was and I know you know I was. But let me restate for you. The original post was melodramatic, fear mongering about an outlier situation made to sound like an every day occurrence with characters capable of identifying SuperCharger fishin' holes, but not capable of knowing only Teslas charge there and can be tracked with little to no effort making stealing them stupid, while supporting a ridiculous tale of people thoughtlessly pulling away in their obviously turned off gas cars while pumping gas as 'the' choice when being held up at gunpoint etc., etc., etc.,

He has a legitimate point and, frankly, I've been nervous on at least 3 occasions about being a potential victim when supercharging. It's something that can and should be taken seriously by a car company, like Tesla, that puts Safety at the top of the list.

While it's unfortunate you've had those experiences, there are choices you can make to significantly reduce them if you so choose. For instance, I do my best to avoid having to fill my car with gas in strange neighborhoods, at strange hours. If I do have to stop, I remain vigilant about my surroundings and prepared for circumstances. It's within your capabilities to do the same when Supercharging. I wouldn't blame Chevy or Texaco if I got robbed at a gas station, not sure why it's Tesla's responsibility to make sure you don't get held up at a Supercharger. I like to place the blame on the responsible party: the thieves, robbers, bandits.

Tesla will implement an emergency disconnect feature not only because there will be an auto-disconnect feature anyway (see multiple references above) but also for the same reason that there's a driver's door only unlock feature.

Boils down to common sense, combined with reduced liability in the context of a growing mass adoption vector,

Although the gas station analogy isn't perfect, consider what would happen if one was arbitrarily tethered/locked to a gas pump's nozzle and hose during the delivery of gasoline. There's a reason why this is not now, nor has ever been the case.

Doors have locks, and unlocking features (see latest Tesla feature add in that regard).

Charge ports have locks, and will soon have auto/manual remote unlocking features for similar reasons.

Barry White music optional. I wish the YouTube videos had the censored image superimposed over the charge port at the appropriate moment. Too funny. I hope they choose a SoCal SC for the first beta implementation in the wild - although I don't have an auto-closing charge port door for the full effect. Owners in rainy climes (as well as at sketchy locations) will appreciate the feature as well.

Now to integrate anti-ICEing (by our own) procedures w/ Summon. Just gets better and better.